Editha Edith Neville (Sandys)
|Also Known As:||"Editha Sandies"|
|Death:||Died in Stepney,London,Middlesex,England|
Daughter of Sir William Sandys and Margaret Sandys
|Managed by:||Private User|
Matching family tree profiles for Editha Edith Neville
About Editha Edith Neville
- Edith Sandys1,2,3,4,5,6
- F, #57756, d. 22 August 1529
- Father Sir William Sandys1,2,3,4,5,6 b. c 1445, d. 26 Oct 1496
- Mother Edith Cheney2,3,4,5,6
- Edith Sandys married Sir Ralph Neville, Lord Neville, son of Sir Ralph Neville, 3rd Earl of Westmoreland, Lord Neville and Isabel Booth, after 25 December 1489; They had 2 sons ((unnamed, died young); & Sir Ralph, 4th Earl of Westmoreland, Lord Neville) & 1 daughter (Isabel, wife of Sir Robert Plumpton, & Lawrence Kighley, Esq.).1,2,3,4,5,6 Edith Sandys married Sir Thomas Darcy, Lord of Darcy, Constable of Bamburgh Castle, Captain & Treasurer of Berwick, son of Sir William Darcy and Euphemia Langton, before 7 December 1499; They had 1 daughter (Elizabeth, wife of Sir Marmaduke Constable).7,2,3,4,5,6 Edith Sandys died on 22 August 1529 at Stepney, Middlesex, England; Of the great sickness.7,2,3,4,5,6 She was buried on 25 August 1529 at Friars Observant, Greenwich, Kent, England.7,4
- Family 1 Sir Ralph Neville, Lord Neville d. 1498
- Ralph Neville, 4th Earl of Westmoreland+8 b. 21 Feb 1498, d. 24 Apr 1549
- Family 2 Sir Thomas Darcy, Lord of Darcy, Constable of Bamburgh Castle, Captain & Treasurer of Berwick b. c 1467, d. 30 Jun 1537
- 1.[S11568] The Complete Peerage of England, Scotland, Ireland, Great Britain, and the United Kingdom, by George Edward Cokayne, Vol. XII/2, p. 552-553.
- 2.[S5] Douglas Richardson, Plantagenet Ancestry, p. 441-442.
- 3.[S16] Douglas Richardson, Magna Carta Ancestry, 2nd Edition, Vol. III, p. 5.
- 4.[S16] Douglas Richardson, Magna Carta Ancestry, 2nd Edition, Vol. III, p. 253.
- 5.[S4] Douglas Richardson, Royal Ancestry, Vol. III, p. 542.
- 6.[S4] Douglas Richardson, Royal Ancestry, Vol. IV, p. 241.
- 7.[S11568] The Complete Peerage of England, Scotland, Ireland, Great Britain, and the United Kingdom, by George Edward Cokayne, Vol. XII/2, p. 553.
- 8.[S11568] The Complete Peerage of England, Scotland, Ireland, Great Britain, and the United Kingdom, by George Edward Cokayne, Vol. XII/2, p. 553-554.
- From: http://our-royal-titled-noble-and-commoner-ancestors.com/p1922.htm#i57756
- Edith Sandys1
- F, #14155, d. 22 August 1529
- Last Edited=15 Mar 2009
- Edith Sandys was the daughter of Sir William Sandys and Margaret Cheney.1,2 She married, firstly, Ralph Neville, Lord Neville, son of Ralph Neville, 3rd Earl of Westmorland and Isabel Booth, after 1489.1 She married, secondly, Sir Thomas Darcy, 1st Lord Darcy, son of Sir William Darcy and Euphemia Langton, between 15 July 1499 and 4 March 1500.2 She died on 22 August 1529 at Stepney, London, England, from the 'gret sykenesse'.2 She was buried on 25 August 1529 at Friars Observant, Greenwich, London, England.2
- From after 1489, her married name became Neville.1 From between 15 July 1499 and 4 March 1500, her married name became Darcy.2
- Children of Edith Sandys and Ralph Neville, Lord Neville
- 1.unnamed Neville, Lord Neville2 d. b 1498
- 2.Ralph Neville, 4th Earl of Westmorland+2 b. 21 Feb 1497/98, d. 24 Apr 1549
- 1.[S6] G.E. Cokayne; with Vicary Gibbs, H.A. Doubleday, Geoffrey H. White, Duncan Warrand and Lord Howard de Walden, editors, The Complete Peerage of England, Scotland, Ireland, Great Britain and the United Kingdom, Extant, Extinct or Dormant, new ed., 13 volumes in 14 (1910-1959; reprint in 6 volumes, Gloucester, U.K.: Alan Sutton Publishing, 2000), volume XII/2, page 552. Hereinafter cited as The Complete Peerage.
- 2.[S6] Cokayne, and others, The Complete Peerage, volume XII/2, page 553.
- From: http://thepeerage.com/p1416.htm#i14155
- Elizabeth (Edith) SANDYS
- Died: 22 Aug 1529, Stepney
- Buried: 25 Aug 1529, Friars Obervant, Greenwich
- Father: William SANDYS (Sir)
- Mother: Margaret CHENEY
- Married 1: Ralph NEVILLE (B. Neville) AFT 1489
- 1. Son NEVILLE (B. Neville)
- 2. Cecily NEVILLE
- 3. Ralph NEVILLE (4º E. Westmoreland)
- Married 2: Thomas DARCY (1° B. Darcy of Temple Hurst) 1499
- 4. Elizabeth DARCY
- From: http://www.tudorplace.com.ar/SANDYS.htm#Elizabeth (Edith) SANDYS
- Thomas Darcy, 1st Baron Darcy of Darcy or of Temple Hurst, KG, PC, (c. 1467 – 30 June 1537) was an English nobleman, the only son, and heir, of Sir William Darcy (1443 – 30 May 1488) and his wife, Euphemia Langton, the daughter of Sir John Langton. Darcy was opposed to the Dissolution of the Monasteries and for his role in the Pilgrimage of Grace, was convicted of high treason for delivering up Pontefract Castle to the rebels. He was executed on Tower Hill 30 June 1537.
- The Darcy family had held lands in Lincolnshire since the Domesday survey, wherein it appears that one Norman de Areci held thirty lordships in that county by the Conqueror's gift. A little later the name became d'Arci, and finally Darcy. In the reign of Edward III they acquired by marriage other possessions in various counties, among which was the family seat of Templehurst (or Temple Hurst), near Selby in Yorkshire. Sir William Darcy died on 30 May 1488, leaving his son and heir Thomas over twenty-one years of age.
- He married as his first wife, Dousabella Tempest, (died before 1500), daughter and heiress of Sir Richard Tempest of Ribblesdale, North Yorkshire and Mabel, daughter of Walter Strickland. They had three sons and a daughter:
- George Darcy, 1st Baron Darcy of Aston (died 28 Aug 1558) married Dorothy Melton (died 21 Sep 1557), daughter of John Melton and Katherine, daughter of Hugh Hastings. He was knighted 9 September 1513.
- Richard Darcy
- Sir Arthur Darcy (died 3 Apr 1561) married Mary Carew, daughter of Sir Nicolas Carew. He was knighted in 1523.
- Mabel Darcy
- A letter signed "D. Darcy", believed to have been written by Dousabella to her husband in January 1537, appears to have been written by Dorothy, the wife of George Darcy.
- He married in or before 1500, Edith Sandys, (died 22 August 1529), daughter of Sir William Sandys and Elizabeth Cheney and widow of Ralph, lord Neville, (died 1498), son of Ralph Neville, 3rd Earl of Westmorland. *They had a daughter:
- Elizabeth Darcy (c. 1501 – ) married 26 Apr 1514, Sir Marmaduke Constable (c.1498 – 20 Apr 1560)
- Through this marriage, Darcy became stepfather to Ralph Neville, 4th Earl of Westmorland.
- His wife died at Stepney on 22 August 1529, and was buried at the Friars Observant, Greenwich.
- From: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thomas_Darcy,_1st_Baron_Darcy_de_Darcy
- Ralph Neville, 3rd Earl of Westmorland (c. 1456 – 6 February 1499) was an English peer. He was the grandfather of Ralph Neville, 4th Earl of Westmorland. .... etc.
- Before 20 February 1473 Neville married Isabel, the daughter of Roger Booth, esquire, and niece of Lawrence Booth, Archbishop of York, by whom he had a son and a daughter:
- Ralph Neville, Lord Neville (d. 1498). As noted above, on 5 December 1485 his father had granted his marriage to the King. Accordingly, Ralph Neville married firstly, in the presence of King Henry VII and his Queen, Elizabeth of York, Mary Paston (born 19 January 1470), the eldest daughter of William Paston by Anne Beaufort, daughter of Edmund Beaufort, 2nd Duke of Somerset. She died of measles at court about Christmas 1489. There were no issue of the marriage. Ralph Neville married secondly, again in the royal presence, Edith Sandys (d. 22 August 1529), sister of William Sandys, 1st Baron Sandys, by whom he had two sons, Ralph Neville, 4th Earl of Westmorland, and a son who died young, as well as a daughter, Isabel, who married firstly, Sir Robert Plumpton, and secondly, Lawrence Kighley, esquire. After Neville's death in 1498, his widow, Edith, married Thomas Darcy, 1st Baron Darcy of Darcy, who was beheaded on Tower Hill 30 June 1537. .... etc.
- From: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ralph_Neville,_3rd_Earl_of_Westmorland
Editha Edith Neville's Timeline
Vyne Sherborn,Saint John,Hampshire,England
February 21, 1498
Raby, Cheshire, England
August 22, 1529
August 25, 1529