Grace Dutch (Pratt)
|Also Known As:||"Goody"|
|Birthplace:||Bridport, Dorset, England|
|Death:||Died in Gloucester, Essex, Massachusetts|
Daughter of Bennett Pratt and Ann Pratt
|Managed by:||Private User|
Matching family tree profiles for Grace Dutch
About Grace Dutch
- Birth: Oct 1607 - Bridport, Dorset, England
- Parents: Bennett Pratt, Ann Primrose
- Married: about March 20, 1629 of Bridport, Dorset, England to Osmond Dutch
- Death: Oct 10 1694 - Gloucester, Essex, Massachusetts
Grace Dutch, being a midwife, often gave court testimony. She was forty-two years old in 1658 and 'about fifty" in both 1660 and 1664. In 1653, for saying that Goody Dutch was suspected of witchcraft, Edmund Marchall was forced to make acknowledgement of his sin of defamation in the meeting-houses of Gloucester, Ipswich, and Salem. Forty years later, Grace would have been in deadly danger.
Children born at Bridport, Dorset, England
- Grace, b. Bef 6 Dec 1629, Bridport, , Dorset, England , d. Bef 1632, Bridport, , Dorset, England. Died young.
- William, b. 1631 d. Abt 9 Feb 1632, Bridport, , Dorset, England. Died young.
- Grace (again) b. 1633, d. 16 Jun 1703. Married William Hodgkins.
- Susanna b. 1633, d. Abt 11 Nov 1633, Bridport, , Dorset, England. Died young.
- William b. Abt 21 Sep 1635 d. Abt 16 Jul 1636, Bridport, , Dorset, England. Died young.
Children born at Newport Rhode Island (?) / Gloucester, Essex, MA
- Alice b. Abt 1637, d. Bef 4 May 1704, Salem, Essex Co., Massachusetts. Married 1) John Newman 2) John Dane 3) Jeremiah Newman
Children born at Gloucester, Essex, Massachusetts
- Esther, b. Abt 1639, d. 6 Sep 1721, Gloucester, Essex Co., Massachusetts. Married Samuel Elwell.
- Samuel, b. Abt 1645, d. Jul 1693. Married Susannah More.
- Hezekiah, b. 29 Mar 1647 d. Bef 1730.
- Mary, b. 22 Oct 1652 d. 25 Mar 1680, Gloucester, Essex Co., Massachusetts. Married Joseph Elwell.
The following is from the Shiels reference:
"Probably the daughter of Bennett Pratt who married Ann Primrose on 12 May 1601, based on Bridport records."
IF Osmund went to New England in 1630, his wife and children arriving eight years later. Who fathered the children born between 1630-1638? He was a mariner, so were the children conceived during trips home?
"When Osmund died, Grace was left very poor and sick. She petitioned the court to sell her land to maintain her in her old age.
"The Humble Petition of the Poore distressed widdow Grace Duch of the towns of Gloucester to the honoured Generall Courte now setting at Boston this 21st July 1685."
Grace lived for 10 years following her husband's death, with her daughter Esther and son-in-law Samuel Elwell.
- Torry, Clarence A. New England Marriages Prior to 1700. Baltimore, MD, USA: Genealogical Publishing Co., 2004. Page 236. 1/wf Margaret Haywell, 2/wf Grace Pratt (doc attached)
- Source Bibliography: POPE, CHARLES HENRY. The Pioneers of Massachusetts, A Descriptive List, Drawn from Records of the Colonies, Towns and Churches, and other Contemporaneous Documents. Baltimore, MD: Genealogical Publishing Co., Inc., 1998. 550p. Page 147. " Sold property at Bridport, 18 (5) 1639, and arranged for the coming of his wife Grace and son Robert ... " (doc attached)
- http://www.algerclan.org/getperson.php?personID=I15185&tree=alger Compiled and edited by Allen Alger, Alger Family Historian
Grace Dutch's Timeline
Bridport, Dorset, England
April 7, 1618
Hitcham, Suffolk, England, United Kingdom
March 20, 1629
Bridport, Dorset, , England
Bridport, Dorsetshire, England, United Kingdom
May 19, 1633
Gloucester, Essex, MA, USA
September 21, 1635
Gloucester, Essex, Massachusetts
Newport, Rhode Island
"Robert most probably came to America with his step-mother, Grace Pratt Dutch and his half sisters Alice and Grace about 1639."