Idaho Pioneers will include persons who lived in Idaho before Statehood, 3 July 1890.
If you so desire, "The Idaho State Genealogical Society" issues certificates to those who can prove their descent from a Pioneer. There are 3 different certificates you can apply for:
- Pioneer certificates are issued to direct descendants of persons who lived in Idaho before Statehood, 3 July 1890. Applicants must prove direct descent from a person who was in Idaho Territory prior to statehood.
- Early Settler certificates are issued to descendants of persons who came to Idaho between Statehood, 3 July 1890 and 31 December 1900.
- Oregon Trail certificates are issued to persons whose ancestors traveled on the Oregon Trail. Applicants must prove direct descent from a person who traveled any part of the Trail by wagon, handcart, horseback, stagecoach, or on foot, between 1811 and 1911.
On March 4, 1863, President Abraham Lincoln signed an act creating Idaho Territory from portions of Washington Territory and Dakota Territory with its capital at Lewiston. The original Idaho Territory included most of the areas that later became the states of Idaho, Montana and Wyoming, and had a population of under 17,000. Idaho Territory assumed the boundaries of the modern state in 1868 and was admitted as a state in 1890.
- Note - All profiles must be public.
Geni Blog, "Idaho Territory ~ 150 Years", posted March 19, 2013
Would also like to have separate projects for county pioneer associations. If you have Idaho Pioneer ancestors, please consider starting a project for their respective counties.
- "Nez Perce County Pioneer Association"
- "Early Settlers of Boise and Boise Valley"
- "Early Residents of Idaho County"
- "Washington County, Idaho Pioneer Honor Roll"
- "Upper Snake River Valley Pioneer Histories"
Some Notable Idaho Pioneers
- "Big Dave Updyke - Crooked Sheriff of. Ada County, Idaho"
- "Gutzon Borglum - sculptor of Mount Rushmore"
- "Ezra Pound - poet"
- "Polly Bemis - Chinese American Pioneer"
- "Brig. General Mason Brayman (USA), Territorial Governor of Idaho "