In the year 2014 we are still in a pioneering phase of "space: the final frontier.". So please add profiles to this project of the men and women of "this" planet who are making it possible to dream of "other" planets.
Note: there is a separate project for Astronauts and Cosmonauts
Humans have dreamed about spaceflight since antiquity. The Chinese used rockets for ceremonial and military purposes centuries ago, but only in the latter half of the 20th century were rockets developed that were powerful enough to overcome the force of gravity to reach orbital velocities that could open space to human exploration.
As often happens in science, the earliest practical work on rocket engines designed for spaceflight occurred simultaneously during the early 20th century in three countries by three key scientists: in Russia, by Konstantin Tsiolkovsky; in the United States, by Robert Goddard; and in Germany, by Hermann Oberth
Links in bold go to the Geni profile
- Richard Branson Virgin Galactic website
- Wernher von Braun the "Father of Rocket Science".
- Johannes Kepler
- Dr. Adolf Eduard Oberth
- Dr. Hermann Oberth
- Carl Sagan The Carl Sagan portal
- Jules Verne
- H.G. Wells
- U.S. space exploration history on U.S. stamps
- Wikipedia: Space Flight Portal
- List of German rocket scientists in the United States
- Rocket City Space Pioneers
- Soviet Space Program notable figures
- Cosmonauts Alley
- Women Astronomers: Reaching For The Stars
- Space & NASA News
- Space music
- Space or "astronomical" art