CREATE A NEW DEATH CATEGORY

Started by Private User on Friday, October 28, 2011
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Showing all 26 posts
Private User
10/28/2011 at 10:46 AM

I have created countless profiles of people who were murdered by the Nazis and their accomplices, I have the documentation that testifies that they were killed, but.................
I DON'T HAVE AN EXACT DATE (not even the year).
My proposal is to introduce "died WWII", which will encompass roughly the years 1939-1945, and give us the ability to see and understand at a quick glance of the tree when and under what circumstances the person died.
After discussion, and if there is agreement, I would like this proposal to be implemented.

Private User
10/28/2011 at 10:56 AM

I know folks have already suggested "circa" be replaced or joined by "before", "after", and "between" - think that would be more useful!! For birth, death, marriage, etc. Often we have some knowledge, but not exact date or even year. May see on one Census, and on next spouse is listed as Widowed; or have referred to among survivors in one relative's death notice, as "the late" in another.

Perhaps someone will provide the link to that Features Request (assuming it got that far, or was it just suggestions in Discussions?)

If there is not a Project for those killed by the Nazis you could start one, to honor those specifically. But I would not want a Death Category separately for them.

Private User
10/28/2011 at 11:15 AM

What Geni in general need is to support basic genealogical date options like BEFORE, AFTER BETWEEN and From To.

10/28/2011 at 12:04 PM

Thanks Bjorn - ditto !

That is the Answer :)

Private User
10/28/2011 at 12:20 PM

I am by the way working on a document named "Making Geni better for genealogy", so send any suggestions to me or ask for access if you want to contribute to it.

10/28/2011 at 1:17 PM

Thanks - made a note of it

10/28/2011 at 1:55 PM

Private User, Private User Excellent suggestion, and thank you for bringing it up, and Bjorn for the tireless hours you spend improving geni's technical and application platform.

Not exactly the same idea, but Daniel might be interested in this link regarding those exterminated in the Shoah.

http://help.geni.com/entries/20507782-specific-icon-or-phrase-for-k...
Exterminated in Holocaust

10/28/2011 at 2:53 PM

Yes please. Before, after, and between.

10/28/2011 at 3:19 PM

@Benjamin Schoenbrun (Geni Curator)
AH,,,,,,AH,,,,,,,,,AMEN AMEN AMEN I have been saying that for well over a year -

Also on another note is need for allowance of the double dated years - it is incorrect to just use one ofe them since they were properly used during that period for birth, christening, death and marriages -

aslo needed is a "prefix" to match the already suffix - if not a prefix then a "Title' area as are in most genealogical promgrams

Private User
10/28/2011 at 4:59 PM

To all of those who commented, and all the others, keep this issue alive until we resolve those issues, now that the snow ball is rolling!!!

Private User
10/28/2011 at 7:59 PM

I wholeheartedly agree with Bjørn. I have so many profiles where I've left the death date blank and had to put info in the "About Me" because there's no way to say "before" or "after" X. Is there a request in for this yet that we can thumbs-up?

10/29/2011 at 10:07 AM

Regardless of whether or not I know the exact date or approximate date of death, I always enter as the Cause of Death "Murdered during the Holocaust". And I do this even if they committed suicide or "perished" - it's still a Holocaust murder, as far as I am concerned.

Another request I made in the past, and got nowhere with, was that Geni include the concentration camps and extermination camps in their place list. For example, if you try to enter Theresienstadt concentration camp, you will simply get Terezin, which is not good enough. So I have to enter the name under "Edit Place".

10/29/2011 at 11:25 AM

As an FYI the Geni auto location list is maintained by Google, not by Geni. I mostly manually edit in place names.

Private User
10/29/2011 at 11:37 AM

As specified in http://www.geni.com/projects/Data-Entry-Standards-for-Genealogists-... , it's best to manually enter place names. Auto-complete uses abbreviations, which we should avoid because they are confusing to people from other countries.

Private User
10/29/2011 at 2:53 PM

I see quite a few CURATORS involved in this discussion, with good ideas and suggestions.
Since they are more involved in daily Geni matters, and more familiar with how to do things, please one of you take this issue to the next step, bring it up with the right people, and let's resolve it.
Probably anything that will be done will be better than what we have now.
It seems to me that Bjorn Brox is a good candidate, since he admitted to be already working on "how to improve Geni"... so take the bull by the horns!!!

10/29/2011 at 3:22 PM

Daniel it's a matter of resources, not lack of interest or awareness of the issue. :)

Private User
10/29/2011 at 4:53 PM

RE: "1 Public Profiles if Dead & Born 99 years ago" - This is way too much an invasion of many folks' Privacy!!

We should definitely be allowed to keep Profiles Private back to 3rd Great-grandfather and out to 4th cousin (including of relatives with claimed profiles) as it is now.

Private User
10/29/2011 at 4:58 PM

@David Prins
I got the following message

The world's largest free family tree
Specific icon or phrase for 'killed in the holocaust"
There is a new comment in topic Specific icon or phrase for 'killed in the holocaust"

David Prins
Daniel

I can't access that photo album - probably a privacy issue. Can you add those symbols in the area of Exterminated in Holocaust please?

Unsubscribe from these messages

When I tried to do it, I get the round around that Geni introduced as an "imrovement to the system".
I CAN'T DO IT UNLESS I BECOME A PRO... and I am mad enough that even though I entertained the thought of becoming a PRO in the past, I wont do it now.
Bottom line, I don't know how to satisfy your request.

Private User
10/29/2011 at 5:29 PM

Peter Rohel (c) - Please see above my objection to your first suggestion. In the opinion of many, it is NOT an improvement, but quite the opposite. If you want elaboration, suggest we do so in another thread.

Private User
10/29/2011 at 7:02 PM

Daniel
Can you add the pictures at

Exterminated in Holocaust

Click on "Add Photos" which takes you to

http://www.geni.com/photo/upload/6000000014370723289?tag_profile=true

If not then send me a collaboration request and that will fix it.

Private User
10/29/2011 at 8:16 PM

@David Prins
Done!

10/29/2011 at 9:34 PM

Private User, Private User , Prof. Uri Kramer Holocaust Death Category Icons:

@ Daniel, Thank you for sharing the moving Yahrzeit candle images. They make an invaluable addition to the current family of icon choices to represent those hallowed souls exterminated in the Shoah, or family lines thus suddenly and completely annihilated as pointed out by Dr. Kramer.
@David, Thank you, facilitator par excellence! The Yahrzeit images have been added as individual symbols to the Holocaust icon family, as have the other fiery Star-of-David logos you retrieved from brainstorming sessions way back.

See: Re: http://help.geni.com/entries/20507782-specific-icon-or-phrase-for-k... Specific icon or phrase for 'killed in the holocaust" Discussion

Private User
10/29/2011 at 9:42 PM

Thanks Daniel.

FYI: I also commented at http://help.geni.com/entries/20507782-specific-icon-or-phrase-for-k... regarding other Holocaust-relevant icons:

There are various Yad Vashem and other symbols at Logos & Symbols Design Tree

I personally don't like to use any of the generic icons. For my own extended family, I prefer something more personal. For example an image of a synagogue in which they were involved before the Shoah, or a picture of a memorial where they are named, or the cover of a book that names them or which relates to their town. Etc.

While at the same time I understand and respect that others prefer generic icons.

Some prefer the Yad Vashem symbol. Some don't. Some prefer a yellow star. Others not. I have seen a variety of different symbols used. Some I have seen use for those murdered at Auschwitz a picture of the railway line leading up to Auschwitz. Something like http://joedresch.files.wordpress.com/2010/12/auschwitz.jpg

That is very stark and very effective. Search in Google Images for Auschwitz and you will find many such images that some will find appropriate and others not.

Can we co-ordinate with Malka to add "profiles" in the Logos / Symbols area for each image that we think might be appropriate.

10/30/2011 at 8:50 AM

Private User - Thank you. I have seen the "Private vs Public profiles of People who Died" discussion - but at this time, I'll pass on starting another one.
I should have stayed on topic (Dates) - and Not included my Wish list (which I now deleted)

Showing all 26 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion