HELLO DUTCH SPEAKERS... could you please translate?

Started by George J. Homs on Wednesday, November 2, 2011
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Related Projects:

Showing 31-60 of 192 posts

Thanks for bringing this up, Private User. If it weren't for LDS, many trees would be 'poorer'. (and thanks for your excellent thoughts on 'names' ;-) )

I am one of the transcribers , it is fun to do and I think more people should join :)

Ik heb werkelijk geen ervaring met dit soort akkefietjes, maar heb het nu wel gedownload om het uit te proberen. Wie weet, ga ik het ook nog leuk vinden...

I do not have any experience with works like these, but I have downloaded the software and maybe I will like it after some exercise...

Het is min of meer gewoon dingen overnemen, soms is het lastig om te lezen maar daar krijg je ervaring in op den duur.
Ik denk wel dat jij het leuk gaat vinden Private User

Thanks, Carla - I NEVER heard of Holambra before! Do the Dutch know this? I'm sure someone will be interested to explore this further. Here's the link to the Dutch page on Holambra... http://nl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holambra .

Holambra is wel vaker beschreven in artikelen in de agrarische pers.. daar ken ik het van. Jammer genoeg nooit de gelegenheid gehad er zelf heen te gaan in mijn werk in Brazilie.
Er is nog een veel oudere Nederlandse migratie in Brazilie, uit de koloniale tijd en je komt echt Mauritsen met blauwe ogen tegen in het binnen land van Noord Oost Brazilie.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dutch_Brazil

Hello all,
I've found a scanned document that i can't translate as the quality is too poor for me to read it. Could you take a look and see if you can make it out.
I believe it is a 40 penningen record, which if i understand correctly would be a type of lease?
Thanks in advance.
http://www.drenlias.nl/sid908a8f086e9ff7552fa114d831bb68bb/index2.p...

Hey Alex,

I cannot see the document only the headpage with the index...

this is only a partil translation but maybe someone else can fill in the empty spaces ;-)
September 1st 1751 by the ................. over the glory of Hogersmilde...........the 40th....... from 20 guilders and 8 nickels was from Henderik Hummelen a lot (?) a piece of peat ground(?) in 1749............. Berant Moes on the Smilde bought (?) with 30 nickels and 12 pennies.

It doesn't make much sense yet but this is just the first try.

Hi out there in internet !

To Alex Moes: It looks like Berent Hendriks Moes buys of Smith company something in 1749. Somewhere in The Netherlands. I don t know where this document is from, but I guess it is a record from "right of the pawnee"

Alex, here my transcription and explanation...
* Den 1en September 1751 door de Scholtes J. De Jonge, Scholtes over de Heerlijkheid de Hogersmilde betaalt de 40ste penningh van seven en twintigh car guldens en agt stuivers, waar voor Henderick Hummelen een parceeltijn (veen?) in 1749 bij (uitmijninge) heeft verkost aan Berent Moes op de Smilde en consorten met dertijn stuivers en twaalf penningen.

The construction of this sentence makes it somewhat unclear to me (legalese of those days? :-) ), but here's an (almost) literate translation:

* On September 1st 1751, by bailiff J. De Jonge, bailiff over the lordship of Hogersmilde, paid the "40 penningh" (note: a property tax) of 27 carolus guilders (I suppose "car" stands for carolus) and eight stuivers (note: 1 carolusgulden is 20 stuivers) for which Hendrick Hummelen has sold a land in 1749 to Berent Moes on and around the Smilde with thirteen stuivers and twelve penningen.

My cautious interpretation is that the 13 stuivers and 12 penningen is the actual tax, ranged by the bailiff - and the 27 guilders and 8 stuivers is the price of the land - but I could be wrong.

Perhaps the key thing for you, though, is that Berent Moes indeed acquired a land in Smilde, which is part of the lordship Hogersmilde. In the transcription I put 'veen' behind 'parceeltijn'. If it indeed says 'veen', it could mean that the ground was a 'veen' - in English 'bog' or 'wetland' ?

Just left click on your mouse and scroll to translate in English.

@George
Would the Hogersmilde in this document likely be the village of Hoogersmilde, just 5km down the road from Smilde?

http://www.encyclopediedrenthe.nl/Smilde

Alex in this Dutch document you can read that it had different names: in 1654 Smilderveenen and Hooge Smilde in 1795 Hogersmilde in 1858 De Smilde and so on.

Hello Alex. Hoogersmilde really was a lordship, but it disappeared and there were three villages (including Hoogersmilde) that fused into Smilde.
Attached, a Dutch article that talks about the bailiff Hummel mentioned in your document. He was the last bailiff of the lordship. I had a quick look. I also see that a Henry Clifford was a lord of Hoogersmilde. That rang a bell, so I looked. And, indeed, I added him and many family members last year to Geni. A quick look tells me, however, that the branch is very incomplete - but the information is out there. Clifford (of notable origins, banking I believe), married into the family Marselis, and they were related to Pauw - and they had the lordship for many generations. If your Moes are all from Smilde, it could be interesting to further complete these quite well documented families - and maybe there is a Moes connection, too :-)
Henry Clifford, heer van Hooge Smilde
http://www.desmilde.nl/blad_archief/50_Hendrik_Hummel_de_laatste_Sc...

I like this way of helping members of Geni to reseach their families. Thank you George Homs.

Thanks, Arnfred. I just find it fascinating that someone from the other side of the world is looking at things that have been on my own doorstep and that I didn't even know! :-) So, I'm very happy to learn about Smilde and use my native Dutch to help others out. What would really be great is to have close Moes relatives in Holland picking up the lead, isn't it, Alex? :-)

I think it's my lack of the language rather than the distance that is my biggest problem George, so i am very thankful to yourself and everyone else that helps on this thread.
Arnfred too, his Dutch is terrible but he speaking Finnish like a native ;)

Languages: When I read Dutch is looks like Norwegian. But when people from The Netherlands talk Dutch I don t understand anything. Dutch and Norwegian has the same origin. I can t speak Finnish at all. And my English is wery bad. So it is only my own language I can talk and understand perfect.

But I try all the times to be better.

I forgot to tell I am a Norwegian.

RE: Clifford connection, my Moes are definitely in Smilde in 1769, earlier than that i don't know, maybe yes maybe no.
The Moeskoker's (who are also my ancestors) are in Smilde at least in 1698, maybe earlier so that pre-dates the population explosion described in the article Jennie linked to.
With a population of less than 300 there likely is a link but it maybe one of the children where only the mother's name is recorded... if you know what i mean.

Hello friend Alex Moes, do you know what 'MOESKOKER' means in Dutch? Have a guess and in the meanwhile I will look for an appropiate dictionary to give you the clue. Also other geni-users may vote for the solution, the prize to win is the possibility for mister Alex to find the place where his original ancestors were used to nourish their fruits... For pedagogic reasons I will ask in modern techniques like multiple choice, so:

What kind of fruits the ancestors of geni-user A.B.M. would like to boil to overcome a Dutch [= rather cold, think of the clear-lighted paintings in golden & middle ages with ice-skating on wooden shoes around wind-mills not working =] winter? Are they using:

A. potatoes (think also of Vincent van Gogh, who liked to paint them)
B. apples, usually hanging on trees, like also do
C. peers, but those have totally different behaviour in cooking
D. bessen (look for translations yourself, so many different species usable in kitchen}
E. paddestoelen

to fill their glassbottles [=in dutch: weckflessen=] to nourish their children from Autumn till Spring?

groetUnu-jMu-fromTwente-not-really-Holland-but-near-the-German-bounderies.

Not really J, i know what moes is.
Google translates koker as "tube" but i have a mental image of a pot (koker=cooker?) used to boil things up.

As for which fruit is involved... i don't think (a) is a fruit, i've never heard of (d) or (e). I always associate moes with "appelmoes" which for some strange reason is quite easy to find in shops here in Perth?

I'm suspicious, the reference to cold winters has me think that distillation might be involved with this boiling process.

yeah, yeah, some excuses to get a 'jonge jenever'... or do you prefer a BOKMA, who was the best distiller of 'ouwe klare'?

Anyway, skaters prefer a 'BERENBURGER'. If you want to know how to prepair such a poison, sorry aperitief or digestive, see also:
* http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beerenburg

For the Collectioneurs de Bouteilles I made already some projects with Dutch links, also very appropriate for geni-users who are addicted too:
* http://www.geni.com/projects/BOOMSMA-Museum-•-Leeuwarden-%E2%80%A7-...
* http://www.geni.com/projects/Distilleerders-in-de-familie/7437

and if your ancestors lived in Schiedam, some of the most famous dranks are to be proven by buying brewery of :
* http://www.geni.com/projects/t-Geslacht-COYMANS/8411

Enjoy your happy hour, and see you again in one of our famous virtual coffee corners,

❥jMu

I read I owe you some explanation of how to use apples in a Dutch kitchen. For it's not only as MOES with 'suiker en kaneel in Omy's appeltaart' we used to use this kind of fruitful nourish, gratuit hanging on trees around our goldish, cereal-acres {Twente, my birth-area in the Netherlands was famous for their agricultural sight in August, before pigs were introduced to feed with mais-plants harvest}.

You can also cook 'goud-reinetten' till the children do NOT like it as a easy variation for their first not-milk-exercitions, so when mother the woman forgot to put the kettle from the fire, she found some darkish, brownish, but rather vitamine-&-mineral-rich brewery on the bottom of her pot. And as our fruits in those days where very full of fructose, thanks to the Dutch sunny light and bees coming without moderne diseases, she tasted it first and decided to decorate the 'boterhammen' with some new sort of coverage.

Do they sell 'Appel-stroop' also in Perth? Be aware, it's realy not the same as the Canadian Maple-Leaf sirup, for that is quite more expensive...

Jeanette,
You are truly a wealth of knowledge and information but i do not feel any wiser. Was it D or B? What is a moeskoker?
I've never bought the appelstroop but yes it is here, stroopwafels these are a favourite in our house.

I did not yet find a proper dictionary, but intuitiovely I think it's about apples or 'goud-reinetten', originally a very strong fruit-race of apples staying strong in winter and not like old-woman after some time laying under the roof.

About 'Moeskoker', you can 'kook appels tot moes', but you can also make Cider -a light wine, nearly limonade- of it, so it is really a historic challenge where and who were the first to discover that an apple is more than only to seduce your husband.

BUT..... maybe you soon are proven to be a direct descendant of EVE? The first women with knowledge how to use an apple in her kitschen...

Showing 31-60 of 192 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion