Started by Private User on Sunday, January 22, 2012
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Related Projects:

Showing all 10 posts
Private User
1/22/2012 at 11:18 PM

Shouldn't Tesla's name be in Cyrillic? We want Serbs to find and recognize his profile.

1/23/2012 at 12:29 AM

Hello Victar!
Tesla's name doesn't have to be in cyrillic. There is no reason for it since he was born in Crotia and his predecestors doesn't have much with Serbia. They were just, by family tradition, ortodox.

Private User
1/23/2012 at 12:41 AM

Thanks for the explanation!

1/24/2012 at 1:52 AM

And the most important part of the explanation is that Serbs do know Latin alphabet.
;)

1/24/2012 at 1:53 AM

It seems that my mother's family line by her father is connected by blood with Nikola Tesla. But I need to prove it still. There is a family tree showing that we are connected, but double check is smth what always should be done :)

Private User
1/24/2012 at 10:49 AM

I lived several years with a Serbian family whos surname was Tadin. Someday I'd like to help them with their genealogy. Should be a fun learning experience.

Private User
2/1/2012 at 10:30 AM

Dear Željka, dear Victar,
continuing your conversation regarding Tesla's name in Cyrillic, I have uploaded http://www.geni.com/photo/album/5148133583340024239?album_id=600000... pictures taken by my uncle few years ago on the graveyard in Gospic, where my grand grand mother is buried and next to her grave are the graves of Nikola's Tesla parents.
As Serbs we do use both cyrillic & latin, but as you can see, Nikola made inscriptions in cyrillic, beside the fact that they were only orthodox, and his father was a head of Gospic parish, at that time living in Austro-Hungary they were allowed to write in cyrillic. Later, in the beginning of WWI cyrillic use was banned by AH impire and was allowed only in orthodox church. Nowdays Serbs use latin as well as cyrillic, I would say even more because of new technologies which are mostly based on latin fonts & keyboards.

2/2/2012 at 12:57 AM

Thank you Dasha for your answer, it is very reasonable and historyographic.

5/26/2016 at 10:28 AM

Now that Geni is able to record names in many different languages i wanted to update the profile, but it's locked.
In Russian the name is written as "Никола Милутин Тесла", unfortunately i don't have the permissions to edit.

5/26/2016 at 11:26 AM

Unlocked. (any curator can lock / unlock fields for any profile). Advise if / when relocking needed.

Showing all 10 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion