Flight of the Wild Geese...

Started by George J. Homs on Monday, April 30, 2012
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Showing all 10 posts
4/30/2012 at 10:34 AM

... a new project to follow - or to collaborate with!... http://www.geni.com/projects/Flight-of-the-Wild-Geese/11573 .
This will be about the story of the Irish military (and their families) that went to the continent after the Jacobite/Williamite war and started to serve foreign rulers in France, Spain and Austria.
Many of these 'wild geese' became highly regarded nobles in their new countries. Some even became knights of the Order of the Golden Fleece. They married foreign ladies - and they have so many descendants to whom you may be related.
To be continued... :-)

Private User
4/30/2012 at 12:43 PM

I am in, anyone else ?

4/30/2012 at 12:56 PM

I don't think I have any connections "yet" but I am following for now.

Private
5/2/2012 at 6:45 AM

Great job you all are doing!
Have no Irish family (I think) but I follow, and when and if I can contribute, but for now enjoy following your project. :-)

Private User
5/2/2012 at 7:27 AM

Col. Charles O Ceallaigh server the colours of Spain with a Reg of 2000 men. He returned to Ireland and took part in the Battle of Aughrim on 22nd July 1691.
His book " The Destruction of Cyprus" or " Macarie Excidium"is the only book written about the Jacobite war from an Irish point of view. I would love to hear if anything turns up on this committed Irishman.
The Kelly Clan Association, through our DNA project are trying to connect with long lost family, and are making some progress.
Get us at www.kellyclanireland.com
Joe

5/2/2012 at 7:57 AM

I found his profile, Private User. The 9th Lord of Screen? Any idea whether he was born abroad?

5/2/2012 at 7:59 AM

Sound very interesting. I know quite a few O'Sullivans left Ireland to save their families from getting killed. Or the English killed most and they wanted to save their own lives and be able to tell their tales to spread the word. Either Spain or France . Not sure.

Private User
5/2/2012 at 9:00 AM

He was born in Ireland. His mother was Isma, a Dau. of Sir Wm Hill of Carlow. He was educated in St. Omer in the Netherlands, that's most likely where the Spanish connection came from.

5/2/2012 at 11:40 AM

Lisa, now we have to find out, don't we? :-)
Private User just added Donal Cam O'Sullivan Beare, Prince of Beare, 1st Count of Berehaven to the tree. Given the time frame, he must have been part of the Flight of the Earls. More to dig :-)

Private User
6/27/2018 at 10:42 AM

In some way I am related. I have not yet gotten that far but my maiden name is Sullivan and my 3rd Great Grandpa Hugh Sullivan emigrated from Kerry, Ireland. I am only as far back as the late 1700's on my Sullivan family tree but they all seem to be from Cork or Kerry.

Showing all 10 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion