Historic Buildings of County Cork
Republic of Ireland
Image right - Kilcoe Castle
If you have information about any of the Buildings mentioned below please share it here. If you have ancestors linked to any of the places please add them to the project.
The object of this project is to provide information about historic buildings in County Cork, with links to sub-projects for specific buildings as appropriate. GENi profiles of people associated with those establishments can be linked to this project and/or to individual projects where they have been set up.
Castles, Baronial and Historic houses
... in alphabetical order
Full sizes of the thumbnail images can be seen in the Gallery attached to the project or by clicking the thumbnail image. TIP - Use ctrl+the link to open the image in a separate tab, or use "back" to return to this project page) Sources for the images can be found in the image details as seen in the gallery.
Names with Bold links are to Geni profiles or projects. Other links take you to external biographical web pages. Please copy and paste the bullet used - ● - instead of * when adding items to the list.
● Aghada House Aghada. late Georgian house by the Elser Abraham Hargrave, built for John Roche between 1791 and c. 1808.
● Aghamarta Castle - probably built in the 12th century. In the late 17th century the castle was sold by the Earl of Shannon to the Pomeroy family. In 1824 Aghamarta Castle was bought by the O'Grady family. Then the castle was in great disrepair, and the O'Grady's used stone from the castle in the construction of the present mansion in 1830. The O'Grady's sold the property in 1916.
● Aghamhaoila Castle
● Aghern, Conna. Associated families - Bowles; Kinahan; Hare; sub Listowel. Georgian house built alongside an old Desmond castle on the northern bank of the River Bride. It was inherited by Grace (neé Hudson-Kinahan), widow of Spotswood Bowles, who left it to her sister, Ellen, widow of Captain H V Hare. It was sold by their son, Commander R G W Hare.
● Ahanesk House Midleton. 19th century. Associated names Jackson; Sadleir-Jackson. sub Trench; Lomer; sub Stafford-King-Harman. Mrs. Sadleir-Jackson and rode astride who was the first person to ride astride in Ireland lived here.
● Altamira House Liscarrol. Associated names - Purcell; Pierce Purnell Esq of Dromore and Altamira, Co. Cork. bapt. 1811; m. Alicia Ellen Gason 1856. John Patrick Hannigan, Justice of the Perry for Co. Cork - local government Inspector, was living in the house with his family in 1911.
● Annemount House Glounthaune. (or Annmount) Associated names Falkiner; Cummins; Beamish; Gilman; Murphy; Bence-Jones. Built in late 18th century by Sir Riggs Falkiner, 1st Bt who named it on honour of his second wife. Enlarged c. 1883 for John Murphy MFH on the United Hunt, to designs by George Ashlin. Col. Philip Bence-Jones bought it in 1945. It was destroyed by fire in 1948 and the ruin subsequently demolished.
● Arbutus Lodge Montenotte, Cork. Mid 19th century Italianate house with Romanesque overtones. Charles J. Cantillon, Mayor of Cork in 1865, extended the house in the 1860s. Later occupants of the house included Sir Daniel and Lady Ellen O'Sullivan, who were the great-grandparents of the actress Mia Farrow, and the Dwyer family who owned the Sunbeam Wolsey textile plant in the city. Formerly the home of the Kearney family, former restaurant and hotel. It was a fine dining restaurant that was awarded one Michelin star in the periods 1974-1983, 1987 and 1988. The Ryan family bought the estate Arbutus Lodge in 1961 and converted it into a hotel and restaurant. In 1971 the complex was opened. The restaurant quickly gained a reputation as one of the best restaurants in Ireland, which was confirmed by the international Michelin star. In 1999 they sold the hotel to the Carmody Group. Carmody's bankruptcy in 2002 also marked the definitive end of the 3-star hotel. The building was partially demolished and converted into apartments after 2005 and is no longer recognisable as a former hotel or restaurant. The Carmody family have given the historic property a fresh new look, tastefully restoring it and highlighting its many unique and magnificent features.
● Ardavilling Cloyne. Associated names Litton; Beckford, sub Nutting. 19th century, the seat of the Litton family. The first registered owners were the Littons thought to have come from Littondale in Yorkshire, moving to Dublin in 1660. Thomas Litton (1657-1741) and his wife Gertrude Verdoen. Their son Thomas Litton and his wife Hannah Leland] were the next in line. One of their 12 children was Edward Litton served in the American War of Independence. He was wounded in the battle of Bunkers Hill in 1775. After returning he married Esther Letablere on the 23 June 1783 in St Anne’s cathedral, the Granddaughter and heiress to the rich family history of Rene de la Donesque who was lord of the Manor of Letablere in Lower Poitou an ancient family in France. They were a Huguenot family who left France in 1685 and at the age of 22 Rene served in the military in Holland and was involved in the Battle of Boyne after that he settled in Dublin. His son was Daniel Letablere that was Dean of Tuan. He was directly involved in the silk industry in Ireland. The 4th son, John Litton (1792-1877) inherited Ardavilling. He married Vescina Hamilton of co. Donegal. He gave the first water supply to the village of Cloyne. John died in Ardavilling at the age of 85 and had no male children. He left the property to his nephew - Edward Falconer Litton (1827-1890) who was educated at TCD were he studied law. He was called to the bar in 1847 and made a QC in 1874. He served in Cork and Wicklow circuit. He was also elected Liberal MP of Tyrone in 1880/1 and was Judge of the Supreme Court in 1890. 20th century seat of a branch of the Stacpoole family. Owned for a while by Lt.Col F J Beckford after WW2.
● Ashton Court Youhal. Entirely rebuilt, 1898, with exception of W entrance, W hall and library. New main E entrance, wing and conservatory added. Late 19th century Victorian house. The external character of the house remains intact despite recent additions and extensions. The ornate spire to the tower has since been removed. The old Loreto Convent, O'Briens Place.
● Ballea Castle Local sources suggest that It was originally built by the McCarthy family and later acquired by the Hodders. Francis Hodder held this property in fee at the time of Griffith's Valuation, when it was valued at £24 10s. Lewis also refers to it as his seat in 1837.
● Ballinsperrig (Annegrove) Associated names - Cotter; Barry; Gubbins. Built by Sir James Cotter, MP. In 1627 Edmund Cotter of Ballyvaloon, near Cobh, leased from the Earl of Barrymore, “the Castle, town and lands of Ballinsperrig". This passed to his son James. The Cotters, originally Vikings and related to the Barrys by marriage, were supporters of the Stuart Kings. Parliament, led by Cromwell, had overthrown the monarchy in England and in 1649 executed Charles I. James Cotter became a close friend of Charles II, accompanying him during his exile on the Continent. In 1658, Charles II came to the throne. He gave Swiss based fugitives who played a leading part in the execution - of his father forty days to surrender. When they refused, Cotter was commissioned to hunt them down. At Lausanne Cotter’s group killed Colonel John Lisle, who had drawn up the warrant for Charles I’s execution. Cotter was rewarded with a large annual pension and the Governorship of the Leeward Islands in the West Indies. He later fought with James II in several English battles and was knighted. He returned to Ireland and settled at Ballinsperrig about 1685. During the Williamite Wars Cotter was commander of the Royal Forces in the southern counties of Munster. In March 1689 James II stayed at Ballinsperrig for some nights on his way to Lismore and Dublin. It is also suggested that James made Tyrconnel, his Irish commander, a Duke at Barryscourt Castle. Cotter was James II’s Governor of Cork in 1689. After the defeat at Limerick, on the intervention of Protestant friends, he was allowed to remain peacefully at his home at Ballinsperrig. There he welcomed artists, musicians and poets. He afforded protection to the catholic clergy including Dr Sleyne, bishop of Cork and Cloyne. According to an Irish Life of Sir James, churchmen from Munster and other provinces visited Dr Sleyne and general assemblies were held at Ballinsperrig. Sir James Cotter ﬁrst married Mary Stapleton and in 1688 married Ellenora Plunkett, daughter of Lord Louth and kinswoman of St Oliver Plunkett. A son, James Cotter the Younger, was born in 1689. Sir James Cotter died in 1705. As the ﬁfteen year old successor to his father’s estate, under the Penal Code, the Younger James Cotter should have been put under Protestant guardianship. He evaded the Court of Wards arrangements. In 1708 or 1709, while still a minor, he married Margaret Mathew of Thurles, aunt of Nano Nagle. Another member of this family, Fr Theobold Mathew, was to rise to fame a century later. After 1720, when James Cotter the Younger died, his widow Margaret Matthew sold the reversion of the lease to the Lt.-Gen. James Barry, 4th Earl of Barrymore. His son James Barry, 5th Earl of Barrymore Viscount Buttevant, live for a time at Anngrove, but it was then let. The house passed to the Wise family, and in the 19th century inherited by the Gubbins family. It was demolished about 1965.
● Ballinacarriga Castle - 16th-century tower house.
● Ballincollig Castle Norman castle in its prime, the castle was inhabited by the Barretts in 1630 sold to Edmond Coppinger by the Barretts.
● Ballinguile Castle
● Ballintotis Castle built as an outer defence for the Castlemartyr estate in the 16th century. The castle and lands were granted to George Moore in 1579 in gratitude for his contribution to the wars in Scotland and Ireland. The castle is included in the Down Survey of 1655 and the lands of ‘Killurgane and Ballytotis’ are listed as being the property of Edmund Fitzgerald at this time.
● Ballybeg Castle
● Ballyclogh Castle Granted to Arthur Hyde Esq son of William Hyde of Denchwoorth Yorkshire on 26 January 1587 .
● Ballygiblin House, Mallow.
● Ballyhooly Castle The castle was built to guard a ford over the River Blackwater in the 16th century. Ballyhooly Castle was occupied by the Roches until it was forfeited in the Confederate Wars, when occupation passed to Richard Aldworth.
● Ballymaloe Castle Ballymaloe House can be traced back to an Anglo-Norman square castle built on this site around 1450, held by Desmond FitzGerald families' generations, particularly Sir John FitzEdmund FitzGerald.
● Ballynamona Castle
● Ballyrobert Castle history unknown, Michael Mackay built a house beside the ruined castle of Ballyrobert in the 1820s and he is recorded as resident there by Lewis in 1837. In the early 1850s the house was valued at £23, occupied by Michael Mackay and held from John Peard. Michael J. Mackey occupied the house in 1906. This house no longer exists.
● Ballyvolane House Originally built in 1728 by Sir Richard Pyne, a retired Lord Chief Justice of Ireland. The house was designed in the classic Georgian country house style with three storeys. Jasper Pyne, acquired sufficient capital from his marriage to three wealthy women to have the house considerably enlarged in the early 19th century. The three-storey house was modified in 1847 by Jasper’s nephew and heir, George Pyne. Three families connected to Ballyvolane - the Coppingers (See Stephen Coppinger, of Ballyvolane) originally lived here in a much older building until the land was acquired by the Pyne family in the early 18th century. The Pynes built the present house and lived in it until 1953, when it was bought by the late Cyril Hall Green and his wife Joyce, on their return from Malaya, where Cyril had managed rubber plantations since the 1930's. Ballyvolane was passed on to Cyril's son, Jeremy, who ran the farm until the mid 1980's when it became one the founding members of the Hidden Ireland group, an association of town and country houses offering accommodation chosen for their architectural merit and interesting characteristics. Also today a wedding venue
○ In 1730 - Andrew St Leger and his wife, Jane rented the house from the Pyne family. The butler, Timothy Croneen, and a maid, Joan Condon. decided to murder the St Legers to rob them. Both were found guilty at their trial in Cork. Croneen was executed and a little later so was Condon. She was sent to a place not far removed from the scene of the killings and, being thought a witch, was secured to a stake and burned to death. Where she perished was later named The Hag's Cross and is still marked as such on some maps.
● Bantry House built in 1700/1750, Councillor Richard White bought Blackrock from Samuel Hutchinson.
● Barryscourt Castle Restored Castle.- 15th and 16th century seat of the de Barry family who went to Munster with the Anglo-Normans in the 12th Century. The Barrys supported the Desmond Rebellions of 1569 and 1579, and in 1581 they destroyed or severely damaged the family castles to prevent English forces from capturing them, including Barryscourt, which was threatened by an army led by Sir Walter Raleigh. After the suppression of the second rebellion, the Barrys were pardoned by Queen Elizabeth I and Barryscourt was repaired, with an outer wall or "bawn" surrounding an inner courtyard being added, including 3 corner towers. In 1556 it was l passed on to a distant cousin, James FitzRichard of the Barryroes (Barra rua, "Red Barry"). It ceased to be main residence of the Barry family in 1617, but was evidently still an important fortification for many years afterwards, as it was attacked and captured in 1645, during the Irish Confederate War. The marks caused by the impact of cannonballs during this attack can still be seen on the castle walls. The castle eventually fell into disuse, and a house was built by the Coppinger family (who had taken over the property from the Barrys) next to the castle in the early 18th century; this house has long since disappeared. The Barryscourt Trust was set up in 1987 to conserve and develop the castle as a heritage site. In the 1990s, the relatively intact shell of the tower house was repaired and re-roofed by Dúchas. It is now a tourist heritage site run by the Office of Public Works. The interior is furnished as it would have been in the 16th century. The castle has daily guided tours available free of charge.
● Belvelly Castle The castle was originally built by and for the Anglo-Norman Hodnett family but was taken by the De la Roch (Roche) and De Barra (Barry) families in the 14th-century. Later leased back by the Hodnett family and after this used by by Roger Boyle, 1st Earl of Orrery.
● Blackrock Castle, Restored Castle Restored Castle - Blackrock Castle was in the ownership of the City of Cork following a charter of James I to the City in 1608, following a banquet, the castle was destroyed by fire in 1827. The rebuilding began at the direction of Mayor Thomas Dunscombe in 1828 and was completed in March 1829.
○ http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blackrock_Castle WIKI Blackrock Castle]
● Blackwater Castle, Restored Castle built around the late 1200s as a fortress by the Cambro-Norman grandsons of Maurice FitzGerald, Alexander and Raymond FitzHugh, later in de hands of the Roche family till it was passed on in 1666 to Colonel John Widenham then changed the name to Wideham Castle. At the moment the restored castle has his original name again.
● Blarney Castle, Ruin - built by the MacCarthy of Muskerry dynasty, a cadet branch of the Kings of Desmond, and dates from 1446.Cromwell's forces captured the Castle in 1646, but it was returned to the MacCarthys at the Resoration. The castle was sold and changed hands a number of times - Sir Richard Pyne, the Lord Chief Justice of Ireland, owned it briefly - before it was purchased in the early 1700s by Sir James St. John Jefferyes, then Governor of Cork City.
○ Burke's Peerage, 107th Edition (2003) page 865 - "... built in the mid-15th century, when it belonged to the Maccartys or McCarthys of Muskerry. Blarney was confiscated in the late 17th century after the Donogh MacCarty, 4th Earl of Clancarty of the 1658 creation had sided with JAMESII against WILLIAM III. (Clancarty was the title under which Donough Maccarty was ennobled after he had laid down his arms following the defeat of the Confederation of Kilkenny in 1641-42 and fought for CHARLES I's forces against CROMWELL; (see CLANCARTY, E, preliminary remarks). The Jefferyes family bought it and added a Gothick house onto the massive keep around 1745. The house burnt down in 1828, though the keep proved (and continues to prove, despite the osculatory attrition of the eponymous stone by thousands of tourists every year) practically indestructible. An uncomporomisingly Scottish baronial building was erected in the mid-1870s some way away from the original castrle.
○ Castles of Ireland by Mairéd Ashe FitzGerald - 2015 page 37
○ Major James St. John Jefferyes/Jeffreys (1734-1796) was the son of James Jefferyes and Louisa Colman. - Landed Estates
● Bowens Court Built in the 1770s by Henry Cole Bowen this house was the seat of the Bowen family until 1959 when it was sold by the author Elizabeth Bowen
● Buttevant Abbey
● Carrigacunna Castle
● Carrigadrohid Castle A road bridge level with the second storey adjoins the east end wall of this three storey tower. It was built on a rock outcrop in the River Lee in the 15c by the MacCarthys of Muskerry, and throughout its long history, has been extensively altered and extended. In May 1650 it was besieged by Parliamentary forces under Lord Broghill, who hanged the captured Bishop Beotius MacEgan by the reins of his own horse in sight of the castle, when he refused to implore the Irish garrison to surrender. There is a small plaque on the bridge recording his martyrdom. The MacCarthys were eventually dispossessed, and the castle was then occupied by the Bowens until the mid 18c.
● Carrignamuck Castle
● Carrigaphooca Castle overlooking the Sullane River, a tall tower house built by Dermot Mor MacCarthy sometime between 1436 and 1451. The MacCarthys of Carrigaphooca were constantly engaged in internecine warfare. They sided with the Crown in 1602 and their stronghold was consequently attacked by Donal Cam O'Sullivan Beare. After a difficult siege the huge wooden door of the castle burned down. The garrison was set free and O'Sullivan Beare retrieved a chest of Spanish gold he had presented to the MacCarthys some months earlier in return for their support against the English. The castle was subsequently owned by the MacCarthys of Drishane until forfeited in 1690. [source: irelandseye.com].
● Carrigboy Castle
● Carrignacurra Castle
● Carrigrohane Castle
● Castle Barrett
● Castle Bernard
● Castle Cooke was named after its later owners, the Cookes. Originally a tower belonging to the Condons having the round cornered design they seemed to have favoured. Of 5 storeys, it lies above the west side of the Araglin River, and has at ground level a guard room with a pit prison below the south end wall.
● Castle Downeen
● Castle Eyre
● Castle Freke, Ruins
● Castle Harrison
● Castle Hyde
● Castle Kevin
● Castle Lishen
● Castle Lyons One of the chief seats of the Barry family in the 13c, the southern part of this fortified house or strong-house may well date from that period. It lies in a field off the main road behind a small industrial site, now quite ruinous and covered with encroaching foliage. After its commander Sir Charles Vavasour's defeat at Manning Ford, Castle Lyons was captured by Lord Castlehaven. Although not lived in by the Barrymores at the time, it remained habitable until 1771, when it was accidentally destroyed by fire caused by careless workmen.
● Castle Magner
● Castle Mallow - see Mallow Castle below
● Castle Mary
● Castle Park
● Castle Pook
● Castle Richard
● Castle Ringaskidy
● Castle Salem
● Castle Treasure
● Castle Warren
● Castle Widenham
● Castle White
● Castle Wrixon
● Clifford Clifford passed by marriage to the Mansergh family of Grenane, county Tipperary and at the time of the sale in 1879 was inhabited by Charles Carden Mansergh, who held it on a lease dated 1868. The representatives of E. Charles Mansergh of Clifford owned 511 acres in county Tipperary in the 1870s.
● Clontead More House - country house in the townland of Clontead More, situated north-east of Coachford village, built around 1840. Once the residence of the Herbert Gillman The property was constructed after 1840. It is not depicted on the 1842 surveyed OS map, which was also used during the mid-nineteenth century Primary Valuation of Ireland (Griffith's Valuation). The Connacht and Munster Landed Estates Database states that it was 'built after the publication of the first edition Ordnance Survey map'., and the 1901 surveyed OS map depicts the property, but does not name it.
The Primary Valuation of Ireland (Griffith's Valuation) records Herbert Gillman as occupying c. 86 acres, consisting of a 'house, offices and land'. The buildings were valued at c. £14, the land at c. £50, and the immediate lessor was Edward Murphy. Gillman is interred in the chancel of Magourney Church, Coachford.
The Irish Tourist Association survey of 1944 refers to the property as 'Clontead House, Peake' and the former residence of Herbert Webb Gillman. He is described as having been a Barrister-at-law, member of the Royal Society of Antiquaries of Ireland, Council member of the Cork Historical and Archaeological Society (CHAS) and 'specialised in castles around the countryside'. Gillman was one of the early members of CHAS and is interred in the apse of Magourney Church.
Today, Clontead More House remains a private residence, and is not accessible to the public.
● Conna Castle
● Coolmaine Castle, Restored Castle Currently Owned by Roy Disne
● Coppingerstown Castle
● Coppingers Court - Named after the Cork merchant Sir Walter Coppinger who built it between the 1620s and 30s, this stronghouse stands in a field south of a thinly walled bawn. A later Walter Coppinger and his son Dominic were rebel Catholics and were attainted by the Williamite government in 1691. The house was later held by the Beecher family as tenants of the Hollow Blade Sword Company.
● Cork Castle
● Creagh Castle
● Cregg Castle
● Crowley Castle
● Davis' Castle
● Desmond Castle (French Prison)
● Desmond Tower
● Dripsey Castle
● Drishane Castle, Restored Castle
● Dromagh Castle
● Dromaneen Castle part of a complex of buildings erected on a cliff overlooking the River Blackwater in the early 17c by Caher O'Callaghan. "Apparently this (Image right) is the fortified house marked on the OS map. Another block of three storeys lies hidden in the trees, whose dramatic outlines are surprisingly more visible from the main N72 Mallow road that lies further north". Mike Searle
● Duarrigle Castle
● Dunalong Castle
● Dunasead Castle
● Dunboy Castle- ruin - opposite Bere Island on the Beara peninsula. The images here show all that remains of the castle of the O'Sullivan Beare clan whose chief Dermod built and occupied it in about 1473. Following the defeat at Kinsale in 1601, Donal Cam O'Sullivan set about strengthening the castle defences at Dunboy, he then left to await Spanish reinforcements at Ardea, leaving the castle garrison of only 143 men under the command of Richard Mac Geoghegan. ● The famous Siege of Dunboy began on 6 June 1602, and after a week the castle was reduced to rubble. On the morning of 18 June 1602 the English army of over 2000 men stormed the ruins slaughtering all. Even twenty men who had surrendered were killed. Those who tried to escape by jumping into the sea were slashed to death in the water. The few remaining went to the cellar to blow themselves up with gunpowder, but were hacked to death before they could light the fuses. That evening 58 surviving soldiers were executed in Castletown's (Castletownbere) market square. History later records the long march to Leitrim in the winter of 1603 by Donal Cam O'Sullivan Beare and his followers - a direct result of the defeats suffered by the Irish at the hands of Crown forces, at both Kinsale and Dunboy.
○ Dermond O'Sullivan, 11th Lord Beare and Bantry was killed by an accident at Dunboy Castle.
○ Donal O'Sullivan Beara (1590 - 1618)
● Dundareirke Castle, Ruins
● Dunlough Castle, or Three Castles Head
● Dunmahon Castle
● Dunmanus Castle, Ruins
● Enchicrenagh Castle ruin
● Eustace’s Castle
● Fota House former home of the Smith-Barry family (Earls of Barrymore since 1627)
● Garryvoe Castle, Tower House Ruins
● Glanworth Castle Ruins of the original C13 castle built by the Condon family on a clifftop above the Funshion; mostly just the north curtain wall and the keep survive. It had a trapezoidal walled court whose C13 gatehouse was converted into a tower house in the later medieval period, and in the C16, circular flankers with gunloops were added to the NW, NE, and SE corners of the court. The SW corner has a square turret of which just the base remains.
● Glengarriff Castle
● Glengarriff Lodge, Glengarriff. Associated names Shelswell-White; Built by Richard White, 1st Earl of Bantry (1767-1851) romantically situated on an island in the river in the Glen of Glengarriff. Thatched. Lord Bantry was a somewhat eccentric man, frequently offered refreshments and hospitality to visitors and was himself quite an attraction. Richard White, 2nd Earl of Bantry further enhanced the estate, respecting the eccentric tastes of his father. A private zoo was established: there are reports of a team of zebras being driven around the demesne and aviaries filled with exotic birds. Visitors continued to flock to The Lodge, which came to be seen as a prime example of the picturesque shooting lodge. A period of decline and neglect followed the death of the 2nd Earl in 1868. This coincided with a troubled period in Irish history and a decline in the fortunes of the Bantry Estates.
The Lodge remained widely admired throughout this long period of decline but few resources were made available for the increasingly large task of restoration. The encroachment of Rhododendron introduced for its luxuriant cover and bright flowers, became a major problem and the river embankments fell into disrepair.
In the 1940s Lord Bantry’s descendants decided to sell The Lodge and some fifty acres to a retired army officer, while the majority of the wooded demesne was transferred to the Irish State and is now maintained as one of Ireland’s most significant nature reserves. The new owner extensively restored the Lodge but was dealt a severe blow when a fire devastated the newly-restored Lodge. The Lodge was rebuilt, incorporating the original stonework, but was quite different in style. It was placed on the market and came into its present ownership in the late 1960s. It was used primarily as a holiday home where three generations of the family had many happy vacations, initially just exploring the increasingly overgrown estate. In the 1990s improvements were made to the Lodge and grounds. Today it is a luxury self-catering villa nestled in the ancient oak woods of Glengarriff, County Cork.
Prince Puckler Muskau, who stayed at Glengarriff Lodge in the summer of 1828, found it “invented for romance” while the Halls, regular guests at The Lodge, described “trees of the most luxuriant growth surrounding the house which was sheltered like a wrens nest in its little island”.
○ Glengarriff Lodge - Original Another image
● Gortmore Castle
● Ightermurragh Castle, Ruins
● Kanturk Castle a Jacobean semi-fortified house built in 1601 as a defence against English settlers by Dermot MacDonagh MacCarthy, who having been captured after the Battle of Kinsale in 1601, was eventually pardoned by the government. It was a limestone rubble Tudor mansion four storeys high. According to legend, the castle was never completed as word of its construction reached the Privy Council in England. They ordered MacDonagh to stop building works, as they feared it would be used as a base to attack English settlers. Macdonogh was allegedly so furious at this news that he smashed all the blue ceramic tiles for the roof and threw them into a nearby stream. The stream then became known as the Bluepool Stream because of the reflection of the tiles in the water. It remained a shell without a roof. Due to its architectural and historic importance, it is owned by An Taisce (National Trust for Ireland), and is a designated National Monument, situated west of Mallow.
● Kilbolane Castle
● Kilbrittain Castle, Restored Castle
● Kilcaskan Castle
● Kilkoe Castle 15th century Castle on the island of Mannin Beg, now linked to the mainland by a modern causeway built in 1978 before the mammoth six year restoration of 1998 - 2004. Overlooking Roaringwater Bay, this 5 storey tower of the Clan Dermot branch of the MacCarthy Riabhach was besieged and attacked by various forces during 1600-1602. It finally fell in February 1603 when its garrison surrendered to Captain Flower.
● Kilcor Castle
● Kilcrea Castle, Ruins
● Kilnannan Castle
● Lisgriffin Castle
● Lohort Castle
● Lumbard´s Castle
● Lombards Castle Buttevant
● Macroom Castle, Castle Ruins
● Mallow Castle, Ruin - The strong-house at Mallow is a three storey structure with semi-polygonal wings projecting from the middle of each side, and hexagonal turrets on the NW and SW corners. It was built either by Sir Thomas Norris, or his daughter and her Jephson husband after the town was burnt in 1598. The Jephsons declared for Parliament during the Confederate War, and after successfully withstanding the attack by Lord Mountgarret in 1642, the castle was eventually captured by Lord Castlehaven in 1645. When the castle was burnt in 1689 by the Jacobites, the Jephsons created a more modest mansion further north out of the old stable block. Proving to be ill equipped for defence and having undergone a century of almost constant warfare, the old castle fell to ruin by the end of the 17c.
● Milltown Castle
● Mistletoe Castle
● Mitchelstown Castle, Demolished
● Mogeely Castle
● Monanimy Castle
● Monkstown Castle
● Mountlong Castle
● Rathberry Castle ruin
● Ringrone Castle
● Rostellan Castle
● Siddon's Tower
● Tyntes Castle
● Wallstown Castle
● Widenham Castle, Restored Castle
References and Sources
County Cork Specific
Free to follow, request to collaborate
To join the project use the request link under "actions" at the top right of the page.
Geni Wikitext, Unicode and images which gives a great deal of assistance.
See the discussion Project Help: How to add Text to a Project - Starter Kit to get you going!
Other Pages for Historic Buildings of Ireland Counties
Historic Buildings of County Kilkenny
Historic Buildings of County Tipperary
this project is in History Link