Need help with mtDNA projects

Started by Justin Swanstrom on Monday, June 11, 2012
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Related Projects:

Showing all 22 posts
6/11/2012 at 10:19 PM

If you have a question about the mtDNA projects, post it here.

5/9/2014 at 1:46 AM

How are we showing the haplogroups on Geni profiles?

5/9/2014 at 7:13 AM

There at projects for many of the haplogroups, both mtDNA and yDNA. If we don't have a project we can create one.

Until Geni gives us some DNA fields we just add the profile to the right project.

5/10/2014 at 10:28 AM

Thanks Justin. I'm adding a Curator note including the mtDNA Haplogroup of the South African Progenitor grannies, while it is still a short piece of data - but in the long-run, here's hoping Geni gives a box on the profiles.

Private User
2/24/2015 at 3:43 PM

Hi Justin, I just received my mtDNA results from FamilyTree DNA, and cannot find my 'haplogroup' in any projects on Geni. I am looking for U2e2a1-4. I read that this is a rare and ancient line and I would love to find more info and family members that match. Thanks! Paula

2/24/2015 at 4:06 PM

@ Justin .. hi.. long times since ouer last conver. about kilts " rember" ?. Just saw these lines about DNA... hmm. how does it works??? ... When I forex. order an full DNA test.. can I be sure that I get an ALL-ROUND or is it always to a, forex. a King. OR how does it go..???? Chrissie

Private User
5/3/2016 at 6:36 AM

Justin Swanstrom I have had a MtDNA test done from Family Tree DNA. My matriarchal 7th grandmother was Barbara van de Caap https://www.geni.com/people/Barbara-van-de-Caap so this mtDNA might help establish her own ancestry which is Haplogroup L0d. How does one go about making a record of this on Geni? I am not familiar with the process or protocols of this.

5/3/2016 at 7:04 AM

Private User - Barbara van de Caap, SM/PROG is a South African mtDNA progenitor, who was a slave. I've got a number of SA mtDNA projects going, so your DNA result is much welcomed. I'll send you collaboration requests for 'SA mtDNA Female Progenitors': https://www.geni.com/projects/South-African-mtDNA-Female-Progenitor... and 'DNA Mapping of the Slave Routes to Southern Africa:' https://www.geni.com/projects/DNA-Mapping-of-the-Slave-Routes-to-So... to which we can add her.
I’ll also add the Haplogroup in a Curator note on her profile.

Private User
5/3/2016 at 7:08 AM

Sharon Doubell Thank you Sharon! Apparently her haplogroup, L0d, L0d2 and L0d2c are Khoisan. Other than that, its all incomprehensible to me. ;) Thanks for your help.

5/3/2016 at 7:21 AM

So exciting - one of the oldest mtDNA Haplogroups there is! THis is the project: https://www.geni.com/projects/L0-mtDNA/22434. I've added her, and sent you a Collaboration request.

Private User
5/3/2016 at 7:48 AM

Sharon Doubell I was very excited to get this information. It opens up a whole new facet of my ancestry! Thanks again, Sharon for all your help. I hope it will be a help for her other descendants to know her origins.

5/3/2016 at 8:51 AM

So fantastically helpful. Thank you for sharing it.

7/27/2016 at 7:51 AM

Is there any chance that the progenitors be put into alphabetical order? It would be so much quicker to find them. Just a librarian asking!

7/28/2016 at 3:01 AM

Charlette Louise Hoppe, on the SA mtDNA? As far as I know, they are. By surnames. If somebody has misplaced, everyone is allowed to edit so you can order them if you like.

Private User
10/20/2016 at 8:37 AM

PS: when you link or load your DNA to Geni, it would show on your profile witch Haplogroup you are, but if you click on that " Haplogroup " on you profile, it would take you to a Geni initiated project for that group, so you and your profile and all your relatives that link to that group trough you are automatically linked to that project.

If you select to join the project, you are immediately a collaborator in the project.
I wanted to leave such a project that I'm not actually linked to, but Geni told me : "You do not have permission to remove users from that project."

I know its going to be a big task, but perhaps we must migrate over to the Geni projects sooner than later. Before others start on those projects and then having duplicate projects.
If we do it now, we can copy all the info over to the blank Geni projects and then abandon/delete the self created projects.

I know for the old and settled projects its going to be a huge task, but for some its going to be a breeze.

Private User
10/20/2016 at 8:46 AM

I have moved a few of my Y dna projects

Private User
10/20/2016 at 8:49 AM

H11 (Mitochondrial DNA) <= this is a Geni initiated project
H11 (mtDNA) <= this is not

10/20/2016 at 9:29 AM

C, can you post the links to both?

Hi, can a project be created for https://www.geni.com/projects/mt-H13a2b1/36316

Currently only 2 tested people - they are Sephardic Jews from Baghdad.

11/7/2016 at 12:11 PM

Leanne, we're hoping to go the other direction -- to gradually eliminate and consolidate the old DNA projects in favor of using and updating the projects automatically generated by Geni.

Private User
11/8/2016 at 11:21 AM

Hi,
If I have a look , it looks like it is a Geni project.
Leanne M (Volunteer Curator - Australia) 🇦🇺 you must go to actions and join the project and just start it.
Then you go to the 2 persons tested and invite them to the project. They should be in the profile of the project if their DNA has been uploaded.

Showing all 22 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion