Ansela Campher (van de Kaap), SM/PROG - The mother of Ansela Campher (van de Kaap)

Started by Petrie Coetzee on Sunday, July 8, 2012
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Related Projects:

Showing 61-78 of 78 posts

And just when I thought it couldn't get better if it tried. :-)

Any progress?

I am preoccupied presently and am also wondering whether ehether Sharon is progressing.

Guys, I've contacted - but have yet to hear back from - the two women who are MtDNA descendants. I can help with research, but the direction needs to come from Petrie and Mansell, as theirs is the actual data we're referring to.

Sharon Doubell Are we just going to let Elizabeth slide?

:-) Peter, what more do you think we can do? I'm open to ideas as I found the whole issue very interesting.

If jou don't like the Bacher route we could try to interest other prominent academics.
Have you discussed it with Mansell and Delia?

Nope Mansell's gone quiet.

http://www.geni.com/projects/South-African-MtDNA-Progenitors/17863 Busy creating the project - come and join, and help add text and profiles.

Sorry for having been so quiet for so long - still preoccupied with more urgent matters (and running out of breath)

I have joined the South African mtDNA project, as you might have noted. I think it is a very good idea - both in general and for the search for Ansela Campher's identity.

I do have a question though. Is it wise to refer to Ansela as "Ansela Baauw van Timor"? Should one not rather make stay with "Ansela Campher (van de Kaap)"? The latter would not pre-empt the possibility of the person not having been Ansela Baauw.

Hello Petrie. It's certainly worth discussing. Private User may have set it, or it may have simply 'evolved' through merges that way.

Must have evolved - there have been a few merges. I have removed the Baaw as I can't see that referenced anywhere. I have locked the name field as Ansela van de Caap.

Following the naming guidelines she would not have used the name of her husband.

This discussion is centred on the issue whether Ansela, wife of Lourens Campher was perhaps not the daughter of Pai Timor but someone else, like Ansela van de Caab #14012 in the Forty Years Project or a daughter of, for example, Anna van Guinea #6530. My mtDNA points yo Guinea rather than Timor.

Ansala van De Caap

Ansela Van De Caap in entry for Martinus Van De Caap, "South Africa, Dutch Reformed Church Registers, 1660-1970"
Name: Martinus Van De Caap
Event Type: Baptism
Event Date: 20 Aug 1719
Event Place: Cape Town, Cape of Good Hope, South Africa
Residence Place:
Marital Status:
Birth Date:
Birth Year (Estimated):
Father's Name: Jacob Van De Caap
Mother's Name: Ansela Van De Caap
Parents' Residence Place:
Spouse's Name:
Spouse's Age:
Spouse's Marital Status:
Spouse's Birth Year (Estimated):
Spouse's Residence Place:
Record Type:
Entry Number:
Page:
GS Film number: 2214107
Digital Folder Number: 4322620
Image Number: 00196

ANSALA

Ansela, "South Africa, Dutch Reformed Church Registers, 1660-1970"
Name: Ansela
Event Date: 10 Feb 1726
Residence Place:
Marital Status:
Birth Date:
Birth Year (Estimated):
Father's Name:
Mother's Name: Katharina Pickert
Spouse's Name:
Spouse's Age:
Spouse's Marital Status:
Record Type:
Entry Number:
Page:
Image Number: 00115

ANSELA VAN DE KAAP.

Weet nie of dit almal dieselfde Ansela is nie,

Ansela Van De Caeb in entry for Moses, "South Africa, Dutch Reformed Church Registers, 1660-1970"
Name: Moses
Event Date: 27 May 1731
Residence Place:
Marital Status:
Birth Date:
Birth Year (Estimated):
Father's Name:
Mother's Name: Ansela Van De Caeb
Spouse's Name:
Spouse's Age:
Spouse's Marital Status:
Record Type:
Entry Number:
Page:
Image Number: 00132

I believe Ansela van die Kaap who had 3 children with Lorenz/Lourens Campher, owner of the farm "De Driesprong" (now called Muratie) in Stellenbosch, was NOT the same person as Baauw van Timor.

According to Dr Helena Sheffler Ansela van die Kaap was born in the Cape as her name indicates and was "halfslag", her mother being from Guinea in west Africa and her father an unknown European man - in agreement with mt-DNA results of her descendants - haplogroup L0a1 as outlined by Ian at http://www.geni.com/discussions/151688.

See http://www.voc-kaap.org/Documents/muratie.pdf

Ansela van die Kaap and Lourens Campher's life-long love affair is quite an endearing story.

Showing 61-78 of 78 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion