Aquila Chase, I - IS Aquila Chase 1 a fabrication or an error repeated and copied? Anyone have any proof ?

Started by Wendy R. on Sunday, August 5, 2012
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Related Projects:

Showing all 28 posts
8/5/2012 at 1:22 PM

I am concerned that there are genealogies which claim a Benjamin Chase , husband of Martha Jelliman and father of kids (with no mention
of any child named Aquila Benjamin Chase or even just Benjamine Chase). Is there any proof that Aquila Chase 1 existed? Or that Aquila II was born other than in Cornwall? or that the Benjamin Chase with the birth date 1580, son of Richard Chase, was one and the same as Aquila Chase I?

Private User
8/5/2012 at 1:49 PM

There is no Benjamin linked as father of Aquila.

The profile links to this source:
http://archive.org/stream/genealogicalmemo00chas#page/8/mode/2up

8/5/2012 at 2:05 PM

Aquila Benjamin CHASE, I was born on 7 August 1580. On 22 June 1606, when he was 25 years old, he married the former Martha JELLIMAN in London, England. Together they had seven children. Children of Aquila CHASE and Martha JELLIMAN are: 18. i. Aquila CHASE, II was born on 9 April 1618 and passed away on 21 December 1670. 19. ii. Anne CHASE 20. iii. Martha CHASE 21. iv. Sara CHASE 22. v. Elizabeth CHASE 23. vi. Joane CHASE 24. vii. Thomas CHASE Parents: Richard CHASE (b. 1542) and Joan BISHOP. ------------------------------------------- Aquila was baptized on 14 Aug 1580 in England. The unique name of Aquila was found nowhere in England before or since. This, combined with the surname of Chase, provides reasonable certainty that this Aquila was the ancestor of the American Chase family. Tradition gives wife's name as Sarah. There is record found of two sons: Thomas and Aquila. It is generally believe that William Chase, first of the name in America, was an elder son who came with or prior to the other brothers. Aquila Chase, I died 09 Feb 1641 at Chesham, Buckingham, England at age 60. Aquila CHASE, II. was born on 9 April 1618. He was married to the former Anne WHEELER around 1645 in Hampton, New Hampshire. Anne was born around 1624 in Salisbury, England. Together they had at least eleven children. According to his last will & testament, Aquila passed away on 21 December 1670 and his wife Anne would died on 21 April 1687, both in Newbury, Essex Co., Massachusetts. Children of Aquila CHASE, Jr. and Anne WHEELER are: 25. i. Sarah CHASE was born on around 1645 and would pass away on 6 Jun 1726. She was married on 15 May 1666 to Charles Annis. 26. ii. Anne B. CHASE was born on 6 July 1647 in Newbury, Massachusetts. She would marry on 27 April 1671 to Thomas Barber. 27. iii. Pricilla CHASE was born on 4 March 1648 in Newbury, Massacusetts. She would marry on 10 February 1670 to Abel Merrill. 28. iv. Mary CHASE was born on 3 February 1650 in Newbury, Massacusetts. She would marry on 9 March 1669 to John Stevens. 29. v. Aquila CHASE, III. was born on 26 September 1652 and died on 29 July 1720 in Newbury, Massachusetts. He was married around 1673 to Esther Bond. She was born on 25 September 1655. 30. vi. Thomas CHASE, Sr. was born on 15 July 1654 and died on 25 February 1733 both in Newbury, Massachusetts. 31. vii. John CHASE was born on 2 November 1655. 32. viii. Elizabeth CHASE was born on 13 September 1657 in Newbury, Massachusetts. She was married on 27 June 1678 to Zachariah Ayer. 33. ix. Ruth CHASE was possibly born on 18 March 1660 and died on 30 May 1676. 34. x. Daniel CHASE was born on 15 November 1661. 35. xi. Moses CHASE was born on 24 December 1663. -------------------- http://home.comcast.net/~gtrivers/genealogy/wc02/wc02_456.htm Aquila Benjamin CHASE, II was born about 1618. He died on 27 DEC 1670 at Newbury, Essex County, Massachusetts. (BOOK SOURCE: "The Old Families of Salisbury and Amesbury Massachusetts" by David W. Hoyt.) Spouse: Anne WHEELER. Aquila CHASE and Anne WHEELER were married about 1645. Children were: Priscilla CHASE, Mary CHASE, Daniel CHASE. Son of Aquila and Martha "Sarah" Chase. Emigrated 1640 from Cornwall, England Immigrated 1640 to Hampton, New Hampshire Residence 1646 Newbury, Essex, Massachusetts Will drawn: 10 Dec 1670 Died: 27 Dec 1670 (some sources say 29 Dec, but most 27 Dec) Will Proved: 28 Mar 1671 Some believe that Aquila and brother Thomas were employed by their uncle, Thomas Chase, part-owner of the ship "John And Francis" and thus became navigators and found their way to America. This theory was strengthened by the fact that Aquila was granted a house lot and six acres of marsh by the inhabitants of Newbury, Massachusetts "on condition that he do go to sea and do service in the Towne with a boat for foure years". There is a well established fact that he was the first person to pilot a vessel across the bar at the mouth of the river. Aquila settled in Newbury, Mass., about 1646. He formerly lived in Hampton, NH, where he and his brother Thomas received grants of land in June 1640. As owner of a houselot, he was listed among those entitled to a share in the common lands. He sold his land in Hampton to his brother Thomas, as shown by town records. Aquila and Ann, along with Ann's brother David Wheeler, were presented and fined "for gathering pease on the Sabbath". They were admonished by the court and fined. Aquila was probably buried in the First Parish Yard at Oldtowne as that and the original yard at the river were the only ones in use at the time of his death. By the terms of his will the place passed into the hands of his oldest son Aquila, who died in 1720. Sources: Genealogical and Family History of the State of New Hampshire : A Record of the Achievements of Her People in the Making of a Commonwealth and the Founding of a Nation. In Four Volumes by Ezra S. With William F. Whitcher and Edward E. Parker Stearns (Hardcover - 1908) Noyes Family Tree -------------------- First Pilot of mouth of Merrimack River. -------------------- Arrived in Hampton, NH 1639 with his brother Thomas Died either the 21st or 27th December 1670 -------------------- Immigrated to the United States at about age 50 on December 27, 1670. Came to Hampton, New Hampshire 1639? (Book about Aquilla and brother Thomas - dates above need to be checked out) Aquilla Chase was the first pilot on the Merrimack River -------------------------------------- Full text of "Encyclopedia of Connecticut biography, genealogical-memorial; representative citizens;" http://www.archive.org/stream/encyclopediaofco03amer/encyclopediaof... CHASE, Charles Edward, Active Factor in Insurance Circles. The Chase family, of which Charles Edward Chase, chairman of the board of directors of the Hartford Fire Insurance Company, and a prominent public official, is a worthy representative, is of English origin, being among the ancient and highly honored families of England, the name being derived undoubtedly from the French word, Chasser, to hunt. They are one of the families entitled to bear a coat-of-arms, described as follows : Gules four crosses patence argent (two and two), on a canton azure a lion rampant or. (VII) 'Aquila (2) Chase, youngest son of Aquila (i ) Chase, was a native of England, born in 1618, and died in Newbury, Massachusetts, December 27, 1670. He was the emigrant ancestor of the family, but the date of his coming to the New World is not here recorded ; he was a resident of Hampton, New Hampshire, in 1640, from whence he removed to Newbury, Massachusetts, in 1646, where he was granted four acres for a house lot, and six acres of marsh on condition that he go to sea and do service in the town with a boat for four years. He was a mariner, and shipmaster, and the supposition is that he was employed by his uncle or brother, Thomas Chase, who in 1626 was part owner of the ship, "John and Francis." He married Anne, daughter of John Wheeler, and she bore him nine children, as follows : Sarah, became the wife of Charles Annis ; Anna, born July 6, 1647; Priscilla, March 14, 1649; Mary, February 3, 165 1 ; Thomas, July 25, 1654; John, November 2, 1655 ; Elizabeth, September 13, 1657; Ruth, March 18, 1660; Daniel, December 9, 1661 ; Moses, of whom further. After the death of her husband, Mrs. Chase married (second) June 14, 1672, Daniel Mussiloway. Her death occurred in May, 1688. ------------------------ -------------------- AQUILA'CHASE, born in England in 1618, deposed "aged about forty eight years", 25 Sept. 1666, died in Newbury, Mass., 27 Dec.1670. He married about 1644, ANN WHEELER, born in Salisbury, Eng., about 1624, died in Newbury MA, 2l Apr. 1687, daughter of John and Agnes (Yeomans) Wheeler. She married secondly in Newbury,14 June 1672, DANIEL MUSSILOWAY, who came from Ireland. Thomas Chase and his brother Aquila settled early in Essex County, Mass. The name of Aquila being unusual, it is used as a basis for evidence that the family was of Chesham, Bucks, Eng., where an Aquila Chase, son of Robert and Joan (Bishop) Chase, was baptised 14. Aug1580. Robert and Joan (Bishop) Chase had ten children Of whom seven were sons. It is assumed that this Aquila was the father of Thomas and Aquila, the emigrants to America, but his marriage has not been found nor their baptisms. They very probably were grandsons of Robert Chase but might have been fathered by any one of the seven sons. Aquila Chase seems to have been a man of peaceable disposition who minded his own affairs for in his whole life he only appears in Court twice. At the time it was quite the popular amusement to go to court and apparently the inhabitants of the towns spent a large amount of time, either as witnesses or principals, in actions at law. In 1646, Aquila Chase of Hampton, N. H., was presented at Court with his wife and David Wheeler, probably his brother-in-law, "for gathering pease on the Sabbath." When the case came to trial in 1647, the constable reported that they were not in Hampton but had gone to Newbury. A year later they were all admonished. His second appearance in Court was when he made the deposition giving his age. (Essex Co., Court Files 1: 110.) He left the following will. Witness by these presents that I Acquilla Chase of Newbury in the countye of Essex in New England being weake in body, yett of sound & pfect memory, for divers causes and consideration me thereunto moveing, doe make this my Iast will and testsment.... To my well-beloved wife Ann I give and bequeath my house barne and orchard and all my lands both Eareable and pasture and marsh meadow ground, lyeing and being in the bounds of Newbury aforesaid together with all my goods and chattells both within dores & without. Allthe sayde house and land beforementioned I give unto my well beloued wife during the time of her widdowhood, paying unto my daughter Ann Chase five pounds in corne or neate cattle, and five pounds more to pay unto my daughter Priscilla Chase to be payd within twelve months after the day of their marriages. Also I will that my wife give unto my sonn Thomas Chase at the age of one and twenty, Teen pounds in corne or neate cattle pvided the sayd Thomas doe abyde and serve with his mother to the said age.And if his mother and hee the said Thomas see cause that hee should serve for a trade , with any other man soe that he have the benefitt, of a trade, then his mother, my wellbeloved wife, is to pay unto the sayd Thomas, but six pounds in the like pay before mentioned, for the rest of my children my will and testament is, That Ann my wife, shall give unto them all shee sees good accordiny to her abillitye, and at the end of her naturall life, I give and bequeath all house, housing & lands before mentioned unto Aquila Chase my Eldest sonn, or if Ann my wife marry, my sonn, is to posses all my housing and lands, paying unto his mother three pounds per annum as long as she liveth or three score pound which shee pleaseth. further my will is that Aquilla my sonn shall pay to his brother John Chase the sum of tenn pounds... And tenn pounds more the said Aquilla is to pay unto his brother Daniel . . . further more my will is that my sonn in law Charles shall have boate loade of grass or sedge of the lower end of penny Island as long as he liveth, and no body to molest him till he hath a boateloade, further more my will is that my sonn Aquilla pay unto his Brother Moses Chase Tenn pounds in Corne & Cattle. Also my will is that Acquilla pay unto my daughter Sarah three pounds within two years after his mothers decease. and to pay unto my daughter Mary Twenty shillings and further my will is that Aquilla my son pay unto his Sister Elizabeth ( Chase ) foure pounds in like pay. Aquilla pay foure pounds in like pay to his sister Ruth, All which summs are to be payd in two years after the decesse of Ann my well beloved wife And I do apoynt Ann my well beloved wife, to be sole executrix of this my last will and testament, and further I doe apoynt Ensign Steven Greenleaf and Wm. Chandler to be overseers of this my last will and testament, further my will is that Aquilla my son shall pay unto his Brother Thomas Chase before mentioned the sum of tenn pounds in the like pay with the rest of my children, and if any of my younger children be not of age within two years after the decease of my wife, then they are to stay for their portions until they be of age. In witness whereof I have hereunto sett my hand & seale the IOth day of december in the yeare of our Lord 1670 " Witness: Wm Chandler "Aquilla (his mark) Chase" [Seal] Steven Greenleaf. As you can see there were 2 Aquila Benjamin Chases (father and son) . Sometimes each went by their middle names, Wendy.

8/5/2012 at 2:30 PM

In 1641 was the burial of Aquila B. Chase, I in London, London, England @
St. Nicholas Cole Abbey . The burial of Aquila B. Chase, II was in late December of 1670 or January of 1671 in Newbury, Essex, Massachusetts, USA @ Oldtown Cemetery.

8/5/2012 at 2:50 PM

I FOUND THIS ON THE FAMILY TREE SUBMITTED BY RICHARD CHASE OF Clemmons, NC 27012, Includes Notes for Aquila Chase:

NOTE: The father-son link shown in some genealogies between this Aquila and the Aquila b. abt 1618 (brother of Thomas) who emigrated to Hampton NH / Newbury MA has NOT been established from any valid document, and is without any confirmation. It therefore must be treated as an unsupportable theory.

The marriage of an Aquila Chase to Martha Jelliman is recorded in the register of St. Thomas the Apostle Parish on London.

The linkage to the Chases of Chesham shown here is based on an assumption (as noted by Chase/Chamberlain in their discussion of the Chesham Chases in "Decendants of Aquila and Thomas Chase", 1928, ) that the Aquila referred to in the Parish records is the son of Richard Chase of Chesham. While there are a number of alternative theories extant about Richard's son, Aquila, they typically are contradictory to either logic or the evidence that does exist. Since there is no record in Chesham of the Aquila b. 1580 other than his baptism, his subsequent whereabouts and history are open to conjecture. However, no evidence to refute the Chase/Chamberlain proposition has been found. It must be emphasized, however, that the linkage shown here cannot be confirmed by any orignial source documentation.

The marriage shown here did produce a son Aquila, but his baptism was in 1626, and there is record of the burial in 1659/60 of an Aquila. This is in addition to the burial of Aquila the father, who is referred to many times as a "tailor" and who was buried in 1643/4. (Burial records of the Parish of St Nicholas, Cole Abbey, London.) Without some reliable documentation to support the theory that his birth was actually some years before, it is pure conjecture that he might be the Newbury, MA Aquila, b. abt. 1618. Such conjecture also ignores the burial record in the London Parish registry. In addition, there is no record of the marriage producing a son Thomas. (Some genealogies insert a son, Thomas, but it is pure fantasy.)

The children listed in this family page are those whose baptisms appear in the London Parish registers as children of the Aquila Chase - Martha Jelliman marriage.

More About Aquila Chase and Martha Jelliman:
Marriage: 22 Jun 1606, London, Eng. (?).

Children of Aquila Chase and Martha Jelliman are:

1. Anne Chase, b. Bef. 26 Feb 1608/09, London, Eng, d. Bef. 19 Jul 1609, London, Eng.
2. Martha Chase, b. Bef. 11 Mar 1610/11, London, Eng, d. Bef. 11 Mar 1610/11, London, Eng.
3. Sara Chase, b. Bef. 09 Feb 1611/12, London, Eng, d. Bef. 02 May 1624, London, Eng.
4. Elizabeth Chase, b. Bef. 14 May 1615, London, Eng, d. date unknown.
5. Joane Chase, b. Bef. 30 Mar 1623, London, Eng, d. Bef. 17 Aug 1624, London, Eng.
6. Aquila Chase, b. Bef. 09 Apr 1626, London, Eng, d. Bef. 10 Jan 1659/60, London, Eng.

8/5/2012 at 3:25 PM

I believe we're asking "how do we represent the parents of" Aquila Chase (ll), William Chase, Thomas Chase, of Hampton (if in fact they have common parents).

8/12/2012 at 11:36 AM

There are several questions to resolve. One is whether there is anything but the first name that connects the Aquila who married Anne Wheeler (yes, I have long had that complete genealogical delineation of Aquila Chase and Anne) with the family in England since there is a burial there of an Aquila Chase II, son of the Aquila Chase I and Martha Jelliman. Another question that I hope someone has the answer to, is : Is there a record of Aquila BENJAMIN Chase that shows that middle name (this would be a great relief) . It has been so many years that I did the original research and wonder if I did not note it. I have another family line which I am working on now which goes back to William Chase (1621 Eng -1685, Yarmouth, Barnstable Mass) and thus led me to this issue.

8/12/2012 at 1:06 PM

I'm from the William Chase side too. Middle names were not in use at that time and place.

8/12/2012 at 1:08 PM

If I remember correctly, that William Chase & Aquila Chase were brothers is well established - if not in records by continual assessment from "experts.".

8/12/2012 at 3:36 PM

This is what I found:
1. AQUILA1 CHASE was born 1618 in England?1, and died December 21, 1670 in Newbury,Mass.. He married ANNE WHEELER Unknown. She was born 1620, and died April 21, 1687 in Newbury,Mass..

Notes for AQUILA CHASE:
Ancestors of Clete Boothby

Aquila Chase,first generation of Chase's in the U.S.

Aquila Chase first appears at Hampton,N.H.A company under the leadership of Rev. Stephen Bachiler is supposed to have commenced the Settlement on 14 Oct. 1638.(Dow's History of Hampton).Early in the year of 1639,a new band of settlers came with Mr. Timothy Dalton,who became associate pastor of the Hampton church.The town was incorporated by the General Court of the Massachusetts Bay Colony 22 May 1639.It is probable that Aquila and Thomas Chase came with the second company as it appears that emigration was greatly diminished by the year 1640.
The Hampton records show that in the year 1640,there was granted to Aquila Chase six acres for a house lot.In 1644 an additional grant was recorded of six acres of "upland meadow and swamp",which he sold to his brother, Thomas,on his removal to Newbury.More information can be obtained from Seven Generations of Thomas and Aquila Chase. One story about early American traditions will be told.Before he removed to Newbury,he was seen gathering peas on the first day of the week and at the Quarterly Court held at Ipswich,29 Sept. 1646,he and his wife,and David Wheeler,his brother-in- law,all of Hampton,were presented for gathering peas on the Sabbath.One handed down tradition states that Aquila and David were returning home from a bountiful fishing day,upon their arrival,Ann proceded to the garden and prepare a meal celebrating their catch.It came to pass that they were caught and were supposed to be punished for their act.The rest as it is said is history.
Other records recently found state that Aquila Chase came over from England on the Mary and John in 1630 but fails to mention his brother on that specific voyage.Other voyages of that ship occured between 1620-1643.

* All data was taken from book previously mentioned and other recorded material too numerous to mention.

Children of AQUILA CHASE and ANNE WHEELER are:
i. SARAH2 CHASE, b. ABT 16451.
ii. ANNE CHASE, b. July 6, 16471.
iii. PRISCILLA CHASE, b. March 14, 1647/481.
iv. MARY CHASE, b. February 3, 1649/501.
v. AQUILA CHASE, b. September 26, 16521.
2. vi. THOMAS CHASE, b. July 25, 1654, Newbury,Mass.; d. February 25, 1732/33, Newbury,Mass..
vii. JOHN CHASE, b. November 2, 16551.
viii. ELIZABETH CHASE, b. September 13, 16571.
ix. RUTH CHASE, b. March 18, 1658/591.
3. x. DANIEL CHASE, b. November 15, 1661, Newbury,Mass; d. February 8, 1706/07, Newbury,Mass.
4. xi. ENSIGN-MOSES CHASE, b. December 24, 1663, Newbury,Mass.; d. September 6, 1743, Newbury,Mass..

8/12/2012 at 5:33 PM

I love the pea story! Didn't I put that in the profile overview?

But doesn't answer the question of who was the father of the brothers who emigrated to America (probably not answerable) and more importantly, how do we represent it in Geni.

8/13/2012 at 10:41 AM

I agree with Erica that we still do not answer who was the father of Aquila who emigrated to America.

Does anyone have an answer to the burial of a son of Aquila and Martha Jelliman in England in 1659/60? Often people named a second child the same name if an earlier one died..but this would not explain this Aquila as a son of Aquila and Martha. (Could this researcher be mistaken ? or is there another interpretation other than the obvious one which is that our Aquila is not the son of this couple?)

The marriage shown here did produce a son Aquila, but his baptism was in 1626, and there is record of the burial in 1659/60 of an Aquila. This is in addition to the burial of Aquila the father, who is referred to many times as a "tailor" and who was buried in 1643/4. (Burial records of the Parish of St Nicholas, Cole Abbey, London.)

Private User
10/29/2012 at 4:20 AM

Obviously he is not a fabrication. Although good solid genealogical research depends heavily upon documentation of virtually any kind, we are looking at the period before 1700. Most Europeans were still peasants. In most cases where a surname exists and where it's a common first name then I would agree that you need more proof. In this case however you had a first name unknown to England at that time. It's so rare that I wouldn't discount it as a fabrication. Sometimes with dead ends if you get lucky enough to find a most unusual first name like this then why complain. The worst thing you can do is to discount this line and begin looking for a new line that will probably never be found anyway. Simply put footnotes into your tree that it's a line that's not verifiable but probably true anyway based upon excellent circumstantial evidence.

10/29/2012 at 10:18 AM

I like this comment.

9/17/2014 at 2:00 PM

I'm just picking up on this discussion. I didn't realize there was one in process so was asking bout the link between William Chase and the father Aquila Chase. The minorsescent.com site has a 12 page article on William and it claims that William is a cousin of Thomas and Aquila, immigrants that were the son's of the Aquila Geni claims is the father of William. The Chase family genealogy page lists the sons of this Aquila but has no mention of William as a son. There seems to be consensus that this is tough to find documentation on, but are folks agreeing that because of the odd name they have to be related? Seems too flimsy for me. I would think we would de-link William from Aquila. It creates a link back to Edward III and that makes me a bit suspicious--but maybe I'm missing some info, or skipped over it. Thanks for anyone's thoughts.

9/17/2014 at 5:19 PM

To be clear

You are questioning the parentage of

William Chase

??

9/19/2014 at 2:41 PM

Yes, I'm concerned that the father of William Chase Sr. 1607 and immigrant is listed as Aquila Chase 1580 who did not come to America. All the records I've found don't list William as a child of Aquila.

9/19/2014 at 3:40 PM

Private User we'll need your help on this one
& I don't think it will be easy - but it's an important line.

Sandra - I don't see evidence presented in the profile to "disprove" the connection. I think your first research stop should be DNA studies.

This one I'd going to take time, there are millions of descendants.

9/23/2014 at 6:20 AM

I think my concerns were two. Should the same name because it is unusual be taken as proof enough of a family relationship? I guess in this case that might be right, but, secondly, the Chase I'm interested in is named William not Aquila and the sites I've seen on Aquila (in England) don't mention any off-springs named William. If there is some DNA evidence about the Chases, thanks for telling me how to look at that. I'm still learning a great deal about research.

9/23/2014 at 9:53 AM

There is another famous case of an unusual given name leading to a presumption of relationship -- Tristam Hull 1624-1667, whose unusual name has led many researchers to think he must of have been the nephew of Tristam Coffin.

I think we need to be very careful about giving too much weight to these names. They're probably not a coincidence. They probably mean something. We just don't know what.

9/23/2014 at 8:38 PM

I'm with you there Justin.

1/30/2015 at 8:08 PM

I too am decendant of aquilla chase and there are blank spaces in my geneology book as well,,,,and a few people have made claims to me which seem wild and out there,...so help for me i hope to fill a few holes..my group of family came from a family homestead out of canton, maine...which includes a family burial plot of many family memebers. I am 17 generation by the book i have.

9/8/2015 at 9:02 AM

Hello cousins--

My husband is from William's line.

Results of the Chase/Chace DNA studies have shown that Aquila is NOT the father of William. There have been several testers from each line, so the lines are well-established. Aquila's line is Haplogroup R1b. William's line is Haplogroup I. These two haplogroups are not even remotely related. Last common ancestor would have lived thousands of years ago.

Unless William was adopted or was the result of an extra-marital affair, he has no connection to the family of Aquila Chase.

http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~chasednaproject/

https://www.familytreedna.com/public/Chase-Chace/default.aspx?secti...

http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~chasednaproject/C...

9/8/2015 at 9:49 AM

Apologies, I misspoke--I misspoke–the “Aquila line” is from Aquila Chase of Newbury, Massachusetts, William’s alleged brother or cousin. It’s not known whether Aquila of Newbury is a descendant of the Chases of Chesham.

Private User
9/10/2017 at 7:34 AM

I came late to this discussion, and since William Chase is also in my heritage, I would like to add that we have even more issues with William being in this family.
He is conceived before marriage and also we have another issue:
SmartCopyConsistency Check: Birth date of William Chase and his sister Anne Chase are within 8 months.

Since we have no source for this royal line, we should probably cut William from his parents? There are so many sources that does not mention William being the son of Aquila.

Private User
9/10/2017 at 9:19 AM

"Birth date of William Chase and his sister Anne Chase are within 8 months." Well, that's within the limit for whats possible, it's not by far any world record so that point alone aren't always valid.

9/10/2017 at 12:46 PM

Even in 1907 genealogists wrote:

From Genealogical and Personal Memoirs for families from Boston & eastern Mass, pg 1906:

William Chase, immigrant ancestor, came from England with Winthrop in 1630. Thomas and Aquila Chase, who settled at Hampton, NH in 1639 were brothers and perhaps cousins of William, the first comer. ...

-----

I've disconnected from parents.

Private User
9/12/2017 at 11:37 PM

Thank you, Erica!

Showing all 28 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion