Richard I, 'The Fearless', Duke of Normandy - Record of Alternative Data After Merges

Started by Sharon Doubell on Friday, December 14, 2012
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Related Projects:

Showing all 19 posts
12/14/2012 at 4:58 AM

This Discussion is intended as a Log of the Data elided/ deleted at the stage of resolving Data Conflicts on this profile.

I have already resolved the Data Conflict, and am simply making sure that all the managers involved in that merge, know what data of theirs was removed.

I am doing this as a courtesy, against the possibility that the profile’s managers may want to be alerted to the opportunity to engage with the data choices. (Sending a private message means there is no record for any future managers of the profile - of which we hope there will be many.)

It is not a query, and it does not require a comment, unless you disagree with the way the Data Conflict was resolved, or you want to add useful info about the data at stake – that you think others can benefit from when resolving Data Conflicts on that profile in the future.

Further info and FAQ can be found here: http://www.geni.com/discussions/115121?msg=832711

Forename Richard I OR Richard Ohne Furcht Von Frankreich I OR Duke Richard I Fearless

Birth Location Fécamp, Seine-Maritime, Haute-Normandie, France OR Normandy, Kerlouan, Bretagne, France

Death Location Fécamp, Seine-Maritime, Haute-Normandie, France OR Normandy, Plouigneau, Brittany, France

12/14/2012 at 9:37 AM

Sorry to be in one of my more pedantic moods.

But if Guischard I (surely a man's name) and Emma Warren existed and had children by Richard I it was surely as partners ("concubines") rather than wives. I see both profiles are managed only by one person, which I find extraordinary if they are historical fact 1,100 years ago. If you look at Emma Warren's tree it goes nowhere. If you look at Guischard I's tree it does go somewhere (to the Sackvilles) and after two or three generations you find that the profiles are managed by lots of people (including Justin Swanstrom) so at that point the tree becomes historical reality; before that point it looks like imaginative construction. (Sorry if I offend the manager of the profile).

If the managers of these two alleged people can produce sources, even dubious ones, for their existence, then I'd keep them as possible concubines.

12/14/2012 at 10:27 AM

Don't apologize for being pedantic, Mark. Our secret agenda here is to lure you deeper and deeper into these medieval profiles ;)

I looked at Guischard and Emma when I was doing some of the preliminary merging in this area. Decided they need more research. My guess is that they belong somewhere else on the tree. This probably represents someone's attempt to construct a genealogy without access to good sources.

Private User
12/14/2012 at 11:30 AM

Mark, you are right for Guischard being a male's name. But add and E at the end and it becomes a female's name (in French). Anyway I don't think there used to be sch at that time. It would most probably have been Guiscarde. CH is a later form like the transformation from castel (castle in English) to modern French château.

12/14/2012 at 3:17 PM

Justin,

Dammit, your secret agenda seems to be working.

But the big gap (in England) seems to me to be between the 1530s and the 1700s, when records were supposed to be kept but obviously weren't in a lot of places.

And as for the earlier comment on the "Dark Ages" we have some copies of Anglo-Saxon wills (including wills by women, who legally didn't hold property in their own right between 1066 and the mid-nineteenth century). The horrible old William the Conqueror and the horrible old Henry VIII have drastically reduced genealogical possibilities.

Is anyone doing serious work on the Balkans (where I currently live)/

12/14/2012 at 3:38 PM

Anyway, "Warren" is impossible as early French, surely. Warine, OK.

And related to rabbits, apparently intoduced to England by the Normans.

Is there a Celtic family name equivalent to "Dormouse", introduced as a food source by the Romans?

12/14/2012 at 4:23 PM

I love this conversation from a historical and linguistic standpoint. And all the clever comments! Mea culpa Sharon :)

12/17/2012 at 2:16 AM

Well that lowers the tone, Mark :-) I had always thought the British relationship to the Dormouse was through gorgeously illustrated children's stories - now you say they ate them!!! The horror The horror :-)

:-) Hatte.

Private User
12/17/2012 at 4:21 AM

i think rabbits are all over the world.

12/17/2012 at 6:07 AM

Post script - the dormouse is sometimes even called 'the edible dormouse'. Of course now they are protected (although they can be a nuisance if they get into your attic) and can only be handled by those with a specific license.

12/17/2012 at 8:50 AM

Eish! Alice in Wonderland's TeaParty is looking soooo different from here :-)

12/17/2012 at 11:56 AM

Ah but edible or not they are very sweet and called dormouse because they mostly just sleep - Dormer

12/18/2012 at 1:53 PM

I doubt that Geni.com can trace the ancestry of dormice (or, for example, fruit-flies) unless we have a completely manic and extremely busy curator, who would die on the job very quickly.

But I do wonder whether they might not find a marketplace for the pedigrees of horses, dogs, and cats; if the betting shops haven't beaten them to it

12/18/2012 at 3:13 PM

woodman there is a horse pedigree tree on geni with thousands of horses in it, just trying to locate it now...

12/18/2012 at 3:20 PM

Herod here we go

12/18/2012 at 4:01 PM

Be careful someone doesn't merge him with King Herod ;)

12/18/2012 at 11:59 PM

ROFL. Maybe we should MP him?? :-) :-)

Private User
12/19/2012 at 3:21 AM

Horses do have pedigrees and so do cats and gogs but my cats are just plain old reg. ones.( joke)
They probably could get DNA out the cat mummy's that are out there!

12/19/2012 at 9:09 AM

Richard the I 'The Fearless', Duke of Normandy is my 27th Great Grandfather.

Showing all 19 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion