Sara Barendse Couchet/Cochet/Casset, SM/PROG - Sara Barendse?

Started by Sharon Doubell on Wednesday, July 24, 2013
Showing all 11 posts
7/24/2013 at 9:39 AM

She is suddenly called 'Sara Barendse Couchet/Cochet/Casset' - do we have sources to validify the use of her father's name as her second name? Not impossible, I suppose - just I've never seen her described as that, so it would be good to know the sources.

Private
7/24/2013 at 2:45 PM

Well I Think it was quite commen and the practice of the day. Like the son of Abraham-Pieter Abrahamse, meaning Abraham's Pieter. The info I load I get from the De Klerk Vogelvallei by Dr MD de Klerk who investigate this era
criticly and properly. Please except it like this, cauce I think it realy make sence
Jan

Private
7/25/2013 at 2:01 AM

HI Jan, ek werk uit presies dieselfde boek. Is amper klaar met die invoer van al die name, maar ek het nog bitter min van die pa se verwysing as naam gekry.
Dit maak dit moeilik in die sin dat dit maar net aan die begin so was. Kom ons los dit liewer asseblief by latere lyne. As ek nou reg verstaan. Net Abraham en nie Abraham Pietersz de Klerk of wat ook al. Asseblief. Groot asseblief.
Groete
Judi

7/25/2013 at 2:12 AM

I've got nothing to add here - just want to say, I read it and find it fascinating ... important to ensure we got our fact straight ... and to validate information. Thank you to girls and guys like you who care enough!!

I am learning and will soon have more to contribute, than just reading and just adding the bits I can ...

Thank you you three!!

7/25/2013 at 2:43 AM

Jan, Judi - can you post the link or bookname for Dr MD de Klerk's research - so we can follow up where he finds her cited like that.

I'm not invested in either way especially, but we all want it to be as correct as possible.

Definitively for me - I can find no records of her ever using Barendse - http://www.e-family.co.za/ffy/g5/p5188.htm" but a number of her without it:
6 May 1688, the name of Sara Couchet was written in the record as Sara Cochet.
6 August 1690 written in the record as Zara Coesette.
8 May 1695, Sara Leclair.
9 March 1697, written in the record as Sara Le Clair.
3 August 1710, written in the record as Sara Coeset.
18 September 1712 written in the record as Sara Coùsset.

7/25/2013 at 3:14 AM

Eish, I sound bossy, don't I Jan? Sorry cousin, it's so great to have people interested and involved in project changes, that I get carried away with calling everyone to go and research what else they can find. We often have some really great discoveries coming out of these conversations - sources that nobody knew existed - so I really hate to miss the opportunity to inspire the profile's followers to go and investigate:-)
I'll send you an invite to come and collaborate on the Huguenot Project, if you aren't already :-)

Private
7/25/2013 at 3:48 AM

Judi, Kyk onderaan die eerste blad van die inleiding. Daar is die doopinskrywing van Abraham:
Den 11 okto(er) 1671

'T kindt van Pieter Abrahamsen de Clerck ende Sara Barendse Casset

Getuijgen
Engel Fransen ende Stoffelijntje Abrahamsen (de Clerck)

Hierdie insrywing is in die Serooskerke
Jan

Private
7/25/2013 at 4:16 AM

Sharon, No problem cousin.
I realy think we must do it accordingly to time-honoured custom. For that short period of time the usage was to name some children sort of double their father's name to make sure everyone will know who's child it is. I realy don't think it would be wrong to put in the Barendse or Abrahamsenor Adrianken or Susannaken. They were baptize with these names and I think it would be wrong to put in shorter versions.
Jan

Private
7/25/2013 at 4:27 AM

Sharon
The book's name is Van Vogelvalleij na Verre Velde by MD de Klerk
Die Hugenote-Vereeniging van Suid-Afrika
Posbus293;Franschhoek'7690
Webpage:http://www.hugenoot.org.za
E-mail: hugnote@telkomsa.net

The book is a MUST!!!
Jan

7/25/2013 at 4:28 AM

Yes, I agree completely. I just want us to go and search for the the baptismal record, to be sure that this was the custom applied to her. Put everything you find on the profile, cuzzin.

Private
7/25/2013 at 4:33 AM

I'll do my best !!

Showing all 11 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion