Started by Private User on Tuesday, August 20, 2013
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Related Projects:

Showing all 18 posts
Private User
8/20/2013 at 1:20 PM

I find the whole matter of Edward's parentage very interesting and mysterious. From all accounts Edward was born around 1600 in England in Bideford, Devon, England. He was obviously an accomplished man in England, with influencial friends, i.e. "(I) Edward Small, who came to America about 1632, was probably from Dartmouth, or some other point in Devonshire, England, where the family has long been one of high character and position. He is said to have come under the auspices of his kinsman, Sir Ferdinando Gorges. He, with Champernown and others, founded Piscataqua, which was afterwards divided into Maine towns of Kittery, Eliot, South Berwich, and Berwick.". He was said to be a , "clothier, manufacturer, and merchant of woolen goods." Most of the men and women who came to America at that time had connections. So how could someone of such standing have no record of birth or parents? It doesn't make sense to me.

Can anyone help explain this?

Thank you.

Ginny Linn (my maternal grandmother was a Smalley)

11/8/2015 at 1:32 PM

Interesting comments on the real mother of Edward Smalley are as follows. Sir Walter Raleigh and Elizabeth I had an affair in which a child, Edward, was the result. The queen could not acknowledge this child. Sir Walter supposedly had a shipmate named Smalley in Devon who agreed to raise the child. It is rumored that the Queen and Sir Walter visited the child on several occasions. Many people denied the story but others felt that Sir Walter Raleigh was the father. Since he was quite the ladies man, it seemed likely it could have happened but looking at the time of the birth the queen would have been too old to have a child. Another source says the basic story is true except that the mother of Edward was Throckmorton, a Lady-in-Waiting to Queen Elizabeth, not the Queen herself. The attendants required her permission to marry which the Queen was unlikely to grant since Walter was one of her favorite gentlemen.

Edward Small Came to America about 1632 probably from Dartmouth, England where the family had been one of high character and position. He is said to have come under the auspices of his kinsman, Sir Ferdinando Gorges. He, with Champernown and others, founded Piscataqua, which was afterwards divided into Maine towns of Kittery, Eliot, South Berwich and Berwick.

He was on a grand jury in 1640 in Saco and a magistrate in Falmouth in 1645 and later went to the Isle of Shoals. Although he built a house in Piscataqua, before 1643, as a grant of one hundred acres made to him by Thomas Gorges, the deputy governor of the Province of Maine, he lived in it for five years and then sold it and probably returned to England since no records could be found after the sale.

Private User
5/23/2016 at 11:17 AM

I would appreciate sourcing for the accounts provided, if anyone would be so kind...
~• Mike vB vol. curator

5/24/2016 at 3:32 AM

Looks like another case of wishful thinking. Have added him to "Spurious Pedigrees Project."

Private User
5/24/2016 at 4:35 AM

Charlene Newport

On the subject of (any) action to be taken:
Do you feel that Edward Small should be disconnected from SIr Walter and his wife?

Private User
5/24/2016 at 4:35 AM

~ I use "wife" loosely... :)

5/25/2016 at 12:08 AM

Yes, I do think he should be disconnected. There is no documentary evidence to prove he was a son.

Also, there was no Edward Small baptized or buried in Bideford, Devon before 1766.

5/25/2016 at 12:50 AM

I added this note

Disconnected from Sir Walter Raleigh & Elizabeth Raleigh May 2016

-----

I have several ancestors who worked for Sir Ferdinando in Maine. The "best born" of them had property granted to him from his fiefdom, and he was a "gent" only.

I'd like to see some real history of what Edward Small or Smalley was doing in Maine. It wasn't a place for courtiers.

Private User
5/25/2016 at 3:09 AM

Erica: I like your technique of cross-referencing this in such fashion: Very gentile, and deserving for a courtier..

I would like to read up on the retinue of Thomas Gorges as there may be a clue as to why there is this propensity for adding high-born histories to this part of the tree.

* https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thomas_Gorges_(Maine)

5/25/2016 at 3:34 AM

Thanks Erica, a good way to disconnect by adding a note and the date on the profile.

I have also added a note about his supposed birth and death place.

5/25/2016 at 9:34 AM

Yes I date stamped the disconnect, because I've done it before. :).

John Smalley was disconnected from his parents Sir Walter Raleigh and Elizabeth (Throckmorton) Raleigh and siblings Walter Raleigh, Damerei Raleigh and Carew Raleigh by Erica Isabel Howton.
Sep 23, 2014 at 5:47 AM

Edward Small was disconnected from his parents Sir Walter Raleigh and Elizabeth (Throckmorton) Raleigh and siblings Walter Raleigh, Damerei Raleigh, Carew Raleigh and John Smalley by Erica Isabel Howton.
Sep 23, 2014 at 5:46 AM

5/27/2016 at 6:39 AM

The portrait for Edward Small was also incorrect. It's Sir Humphrey Gilbert. Have removed it.

Sir Humphrey Gilbert, Kt.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Humphrey_Gilbert

Private User
5/27/2016 at 7:07 AM

I thought it was unlikely looking....

5/27/2016 at 11:48 AM

The article beginning here

http://archive.org/stream/descendantsedwa03undegoog#page/n57/mode/1up (pages are attached profiles as sources) has mention of Sir Humphrey Gilbert - he was nephew of Sir Walter Raleigh.

http://archive.org/stream/descendantsedwa03undegoog#page/n61/mode/1up

On this page several of my (I think my) ancestors are mentioned in the first court . Notice the honorific distinction

Geo. Cleeve, gent.
Arthur Macworth, gent.
Mr. Edward Smale

And Edward Small is named as magistrate.

As an aside, Deputy President George Cleeve was not particularly well born, he was a vintner of Shropshire, and "earned" his way into the gent designation, I think. Arthur Mackworth was landed gentry in (I think Shropshire but I have to look it up).

What's so interesting about Maine settlement is that it more resembles the Jamestown experiment than the settlement at Plymouth, with issues in common with Jamestown; disproportionate men / women ratio resulting in a more disorderly society; unprepared for the weather; under equipped; relations breaking down with the indigenous peoples. However unlike Jamestown they weren't seeking gold, it was fur and fish that was the portable asset. And in that Sir Ferdinando was most prescient.

5/27/2016 at 12:12 PM

A couple more studies

http://homepages.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~smalljd/ri/edofme.htm

----

http://www.werelate.org/wiki/Person:Edward_Small_(2)_

According to WFT CD#10 Tree #839, and "family tradition", Edward Small was a son of Sir Walter Raleigh II, but there is no concrete evidence to prove this, based upon research by several recognized genealogists.

There is also much speculation that Edward Small was a brother to John Small, who migrated to New England in the early 1600's, but recent DNA testing seems to have ruled this out. Several DNA tests for descendants for both Edward and John Small have not shown common genetic markers.

----

http://www.laronde.info/Descendants%20of%20Walter%20Raleigh.doc

Has the unlikely Sir Walter story & the disproved brother John Smalle of Cape Cod

------

https://books.google.com/books?id=LDryyTRj8tgC&pg=PA80&lpg=...

This has the fluffy "valiant & ancient ancestry" and vague "somewhere in Devonshire"

5/27/2016 at 12:24 PM

https://books.google.com/books?id=NE9IAAAAYAAJ&pg=PA360&lpg... articles draw connections between Smale, Champernowne, and Raleigh. Leaving out the supposed Gorges kinsman deal. :)

A point, again by analogy to George Cleeves, also Maverick, Gorges' competent servant / eventual deputy.

If I remember correctly, Maverick was likely the child of a widowed serving woman in Sir Ferdinando's household; he had been apprenticed as an apothecary and in fact practiced. He married the daughter of a ship owner who helped him get started in that enterprise. Between the two sponsorships he earned his way into such power that if he had survived (he drowned as still a young man) the property lines of New England might be different today.

More of a meritocracy than we realize.

8/19/2019 at 3:50 PM

I was doing my Small genealogy and was shocked to see the green leaf say Sir Walter Raleigh as my ancestor's father. With all of the dna donors now, I am wondering if there have been any updates. Otherwise, I am at a dead end on the Small, Smally side of my tree. I am an 11th generation Cape Codder and would really like to know.

8/19/2019 at 10:35 PM

That last post from Dorothy Sheehan Leary is not my correct name. I am helping her with her tree and didn't realize that he email was attached to Geni. The email address rjmjj2018@gmail.com is my email if anyone wants to post directly to me.

Showing all 18 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion