Historic Buildings of County Cavan
Republic of Ireland
Image right - Lismore Castle
If you have information about any of the Buildings mentioned below please share it here. If you have ancestors linked to any of the places please add them to the project.
The object of this project is to provide information about historic buildings in County Cavan, with links to sub-projects for specific buildings as appropriate. GENi profiles of people associated with those establishments can be linked to this project and/or to individual projects where they have been set up.
Castles, Baronial and Historic houses
... in alphabetical order
Including Castles, Abbeys, Manor Houses, Mansions, Stately Homes, Country houses, Estate houses, Courts, Halls, Parks and other listed buildings of historic interest
Full sizes of the thumbnail images can be seen in the Gallery attached to the project or by clicking the thumbnail image. TIP - Use ctrl+the link to open the image in a separate tab, or use "back" to return to this project page) Sources for the images can be found in the image details as seen in the gallery.
Names with Bold links are to Geni profiles or projects. Other links take you to external biographical web pages. Please copy and paste the bullet used - ● - instead of * when adding items to the list.
● Annaghlee Cootehill - mid-18th century red-brick house attributed to Richard Castle. Michael Murphy lived there in 1814. Destroyed.
● Ashfield Lodge Cootehill - late-Georgian house sold after the death of Lt.Col M L S Clements in 1952 and subsequently demolished.
● Castle Aubigny Grant given to Esme Stuart, Lord Aubigny.
● Bailieborough Castle a.k.a. Castle House, Lisgar House or "The Castle" , house and Bawn - "... a vaulted castle, with a bawn 90 feet square, and two flanking towers". A grant was given to William Baille (died c. 1648), a native of Ayrshire, Scotland in 1610. He built Bailieborough Castle close to what was to become the town of Bailieborough and settled a number of Scottish families in the area. William had two sons William and Robert. His eldest son, William Bailie, became Bishop of Clonfert and Kilmacduagh and inherited his father's estate. He died in 1664 and his only daughter Jane was his heir. She married James Hamilton, father of Henry Hamilton MP for Cavan, who was killed in the Siege of Limerick. He was succeeded by his son, also James Hamilton, who sold the property in 1724 to Major Charles Stewart - and left the area. Major Charles Stewart died in 1740, leaving his estate to his son William Stewart, High Sheriff of Cavan 1749, who in turn was followed by his son Charles, MP for Cavan 1783-1793. This Charles was killed in an accident in 1795, when Thomas Charles Stewart Corry inherited the house. He sold it in 1814 to Sir William Young, 1st Baronet, of Bailieborough Castle, father of Sir John Young, 2nd Baronet (1807-1876). Sir Stanley Cochrane bought the house and later sold it to his nephew, the late Mr. W.L.B. Cochrane, a Bailieborough solicitor. The bulk of the land was sold in 1910 to the Forestry Division of the Department of Lands. In 1915 the house and the remaining 100 acres of land were sold to a religious order, the Marist Brothers of Athlone. It was burnt down in 1918 and demolished shortly afterwards - no remains.
● Ballyconnell Castle built by Captain Culme and Walter Talbot in the reign of James 1st.
● Ballyhaise House As part of James I’s plantation of Ulster, in 1609 John Taylor of Cambridge received a grant of 1,500 acres in an area of County Cavan called Aghieduff. Here he established the town of Ballyhaise and, according to a mid-19th century report, ‘built a strong Bawn of lime and stone for his own residence, on the site of the present castle, which, from it position, commanded the ford over the river.’ John Taylor married Ann the daughter and heiress of Henry Brockhill of Allington, Kent - their elder son was Brockhill Taylor who served as Member of Parliament for the borough of Cavan in the 1630s. On his death he left no son but two daughters one of whom, Mary inherited the Cavan estate. She married Thomas Newburgh - their second son, Colonel Brockhill Newburgh, (c.1659 - 1741) was the next owner of Ballyhaise since his elder brother died in 1701 without heirs. During the Williamite Wars, Colonel Newburgh had raised a company of soldiers and participated in several battles in support of what would prove to be the winning side. In 1704 he was appointed High Sheriff of Cavan and served as an M.P. from 1715 to 1727, as well as acting as chairman of the local linen board. Ballyhaise remained in the possession of the Newburgh family until around 1800 when it was sold to William Humphreys, a Dublin merchant who had made his fortune in the wood trade. In 1905 the state bought the property and has run it as an agricultural college every since. See The Irish Aesthete
● Bellamont House completed in 1730 by Judge Thomas Coote and designed by the architect Edward Lovett Pearce. In 1800 it passed to an illegitimate son of Earl Charles Coote, who is reported to have fathered up to 18 children by five women. Charles, variously described as a tyrant, a madman, and a person of "disgusting pomposity", was tried in 1764 for murdering a man during the 'Oakboy' rebellion which he helped to repress brutally. He got off and is immortalised in a camp portrait by Joshua Reynolds in the National Gallery. The estate was gambled away by descendant John Coote in 1874 and bought by the Dorman-Smiths, whose most famous member, Eric 'Chink' Dorman-Smith, served in the British army in both world wars before being sacked in 1942. He was a good friend of Ernest Hemingway, went home to Bellamont, changed his name to O'Gowan and turned republican, allowing the IRA to use the estate as a training ground, and advised its executive during the Border Campaign. He died in 1969. The most recent owner, John Coote was brought up on a sheep station in the Australian outback, his family having emigrated in the early 1900s. Coote died suddenly in 2012, and the house is now for sale (March 2015).
● Brogan's Castle
● Cabra Castle believed to have belonged to the O'Reilly Family until it was confiscated in the mid 17th century by Cromwell's orders and given to Colonel Thomas Cooch. He was the first owner of Cabra Estate, who married Elizabeth Mervyn, sister of Audley Mervyn (Speaker of the Irish House of Commons). Their only daughter and heiress, was Elizabeth. When she was widowed in 1685 she married Joseph Pratt, who lived at Jaradice, Co. Meath, a property which he received when he migrated from Leicestershire to Ireland in 1641. This marriage (Joseph Pratt's second) took place in 1686 and a son, Mervyn Pratt, was born in 1687. Colonel T. Cooch was still the owner of Cabra but in 1695, he made a will leaving all his property to said Mervyn Pratt, his grandson,. When the Colonel died in 1699 the Cabra property came into the possession of the Pratt Family. Mervyn Pratt was then only twelve years old. He graduated from Trinity College, Dublin and married Elizabeth Coote, daughter of Sir T. Coote, Judge, and lived at Cabra near the Wishing Well.
○ See WIKI Cabra Castle
● Castle Cavan no remains - Charter granted to Walter Bradie; erected by Garrett Fleming
● Cloughoughter Castle ruined circular castle, situated on a small island in Lough Oughter built by William Gorm de Lacy in the 13th Century. The clan of Aodh Conallach O’Raghallaigh, the chief of Breifne O'Reilly took possession of the area and completed the castle in 1233. During the Irish Rebellion of 1641, Philip O'Reilly, MP for Cavan and secret leader of the Indigenous Irish revolutionaries, succeeded in a conspiracy at capturing Hugh Culme and seizing control of the castle. The British Cromwellian forces had defeated the surrounding Irish armies, pushing the defences back to the lake, recovering the lakeshore and proceeded to bombard the castle from positions in the townland of Innishconnell. It was the last stronghold of the rebellion to fall when the castle finally fell and the Irish captured in March 1653.
● Cloverhill The original house was built by a branch of the Saunderson family in 1758 but then extended from 1799 onwards to a design by Francis Johnston.
● Corravahan House, near Drung; built between 1837 and 1841 for Reverend Marcus Gervais Beresford (1801-85). Appointed to the incumbency of Drung Parish by his father, George de la Poer Beresford (1765-1841), Bishop of Kilmore and Ardagh, he found the existing glebe house to be unfit for habitation. Corravahan House, or Coravahn as it was known at the time, was owned by the Beresford family and passed to the Reverend Charles Leslie (1810-70) in 1854 on his appointment to the parish. Following the death of Leslie, just months into his position as Bishop of Kilmore, Elphin and Ardagh, the property was retained by his family for two further generations while a new house, styled "Drung Vicarage", was erected for the parish circa 1872. The last Leslies to occupy the house were two sisters, Joan and Madge, who jointly inherited from their uncle in 1930: no male heirs had survived the Great War. They "modernised" the house, installing central heating, electric lighting and improving sanitation, but the main fabric of the house remained unaltered. Following their deaths in 1972, the house stood largely unoccupied until its most recent sale in 2003. Reference - Buildings of Ireland
● Castle Cosby - in 1837 Residence of - J. Whitthorne, Esq, and in 1849 - Residence of - John E. Vernon
● Cormey Castle In 1813, Colonel Joseph Pratt added the new Cormey Castle and much of the Foster's Cormey Estate to his own Cabra Estate. Cormey Castle replaced the original Cabra House as the chief 'seat' of the Pratt dynasty in County Cavan. Around 1820, the Pratt family renamed Cormey Castle as Cabra Castle, the name it retains to this day.
● Farren Connell country house built c.1760, The seat of the Nugent family of Ulster since the late seventeenth century. Farren Connell occupies the site of an earlier house, the Manor of Carrick. The estate was the home of Major-General Sir Oliver Nugent, distinguished commander of the 36th (Ulster) Division during the First World War, notably at the Battle of the Somme. The house has remained in the hands of Nugent descendants to the present day and played a significant role in the local economy and community in the past.
● Hague Building Cullies, Cavan - Direction for our Times - History of the Mission
● Killashandra Convent - First built around 1610, in 1688 the church was rebuilt on the site of the earlier church. See The Holy Roasar Sisters
● Kilmore Castle Motte and Bailly - Walter de Lacy constructed the motte and bailey in 1211 as part of a chain to control and contain the north for the Normans. Cathal O’Reilly dismantled the fort in 1224. It was rebuilt and today there remains an excellent example of a motte and bailey."
● Lisgar House - see Bailieborough Castle above
● Lismore Castle, Kilmore] - The castle site was originally occupied by Lismore Abbey, an important monastery and seat of learning established in the early 7th century. It was still an ecclesiastical centre when Henry II, King of England stayed here in 1171, and except for a brief period after 1185 when his son King John of England built a 'castellum' there, it served as the episcopal residence of the local bishop. In 1589, Lismore was leased and later acquired by Sir Walter Raleigh. Raleigh sold the property during his imprisonment for High Treason in 1602 to the colonial adventurer, Richard Boyle, later 1st Earl of Cork after his imprisonment for high treason. The Earl transformed the castle, building gabled ranges to each side of the courtyard and a castellated wall with gatehouse. The Earl was father to fifteen children; the fourteenth child born in the castle in 1627 was later to become known as the ‘Father of Modern Chemistry’, RoRobert Boyle. The castle was handed down through the family and restored after Cromwell’s invasion with Richard Boyle; 3rd Earl of Cork, giving the castle its Georgian additions. The castle then descended to another Richard Boyle, 4th Earl of Cork & 3rd Earl of Burlington, and later in 1753 acquired through marriage to the 4th Duke of Devonshire, William Cavendish, who was later to become the Prime Minister of Great Britain and Ireland. William Cavendish, The 6th Duke or ‘Batchelor Duke’ as he was known, was responsible for how the castle looks today. In 1811 he engaged an architect to rebuild the castle in a gothic style using stone shipped from Derbyshire and Sir Joseph Paxton to design additions. Adele Astaire, Fred Astaire's sister, lived in the castle with her husband the Lord Charles Arthur Francis Cavendish, 9th Duke and used the castle until just before her death in 1981. In 1947 acquired by Lord Andrew Cavendish. Today’s family only live in the castle for a short period each year, their main residence being Chatsworth House.
○ See WIKI Lismore Castle
● Castle Saunderson Wiki Page - the original castle was acquired by The Saunderson family in 1573 during the Ulster plantation. The original castle was inhabited by the O'Reillys of Breffni and formerly known as Breffni Castle since the 14th century. The present castle apparently dates from the 1840. Linked to Edward Saunderson - founder of the Ulster Union Party. In 1997 the castle and its grounds were acquired by Scouting Ireland (CSI).
see also: http://lordbelmontinnorthernireland.blogspot.com/2013/11/castle-saunderson.html
● Woodlawn"" built c.1800, late Georgian house.
References and Sources
County Caven Specific
Free to follow, request to collaborate
To join the project use the request link under "actions" at the top right of the page.
Geni Wikitext, Unicode and images which gives a great deal of assistance.
See the discussion Project Help: How to add Text to a Project - Starter Kit to get you going!
Other Pages for Historic Buildings of Ireland Counties
Historic Buildings of County Kilkenny
Historic Buildings of County Tipperary
this project is in History Link