Started by Private User on Saturday, December 14, 2013
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Related Projects:

Showing 1-30 of 38 posts
Private User
12/14/2013 at 12:42 PM

Despite the fact that Keith Urban is Polish descent, an award winning musician and known the world over, he is not eligible for the Geni Polska Project. What is necessary for a profile to be included in the Geni Polska Project?

12/14/2013 at 12:50 PM

Kris why wouldn't it be eligible? That said, I do not see a Polish ancestor in the Geni tree? Richard Gustav Daniel Urbahn

Maybe a little more work on the tree to tie in his Polish roots a little better? Anyone can jump in & help out ...

Private User
12/14/2013 at 1:07 PM

Hello,

I guess I was the one to delete Keith Urban from Geni Polska profiles - I know it's always controversial and subjective matter whether one deserves to be a Geni Polska project profile or not. But in this case, just like Erica Howton wrote, I couldn't see Polish roots of Keith Urban. According to Geni, his grandfather beared the name Urbahn, which shows more likely a German heritage. I think a certainty that one is of Polish descent would be crucial to the Geni Polska project...

Private User
12/14/2013 at 2:06 PM

I believe R. G. D. Urban stands for Richard Gustav Daniel Urban born c. 1875 in Prussia. Married Kate H. Greenwood in 1901 in Woollahra, NSW, Australia.

Don't know why Keith Urban is not eligible. Keith was on Geni Polska. Now he is off.

12/14/2013 at 2:58 PM

Do we know his Polish ancestry and can show it in the Geni tree?

Private User
12/14/2013 at 3:43 PM

Unfortunately, so far I have not find anything on Richard's ancestry. I do know that Richard became a New Zealand citizen in 1906. A Richard Urban arrived in Sydney, Australia via London on June 18, 1892 on the "Oroya"

12/14/2013 at 4:53 PM

From a great source - http://www.audio-music.info/htm/u/Urban_Keith.htm :):)

Background: Keith Lionel Urban was born in Whangarei, New Zealand, which makes him a New Zealander, but he is of Polish descent (name at birth Richard Keith Urbanski) and lived with his parents in Caboolture, Queensland, Australia.

"Urbanski" "sounds Polish" to me?

12/14/2013 at 4:59 PM

Another "fab" source: http://www.notablebiographies.com/newsmakers2/2006-Ra-Z/Urban-Keith...

Born Keith Lionel Urban, October 26, 1967, in Whangarei, North Island, New Zealand; son of Bob (a convenience store operator) and Marienne (a convenience store operator) Urban.

12/14/2013 at 5:01 PM

Jason Scott Wills we need some NZ help for Keith Urban

Specifically on Robert Karl "Bob" Urban

Private User
12/14/2013 at 5:34 PM

Polish Greatness (Blog), Polish Youngtown and Wikiepedia websites all state that Keith Urban has Polish roots.

http://polishgreatness.blogspot.ca/2013/09/the-polish-diaspora-part...

http://www.polishyoungstown.com/index.php?option=com_content&vi...

12/14/2013 at 6:32 PM

erica i dont know. his mums a geni user you could ask her. though i beleive they were annoyed that people were messing with their tree

12/14/2013 at 6:33 PM

theres also Karl Heinz Urban (Eomer from lord of the rings and judge dread)

12/15/2013 at 3:43 AM

http://www.myheritage.com/research/collection-1/myheritage-family-t...

Richard Gustov Daniel Urbahn
1874 - 1947
Birth: Oct 1 1874
Kamien, Poland
Marriage: Marriage to: <Private>
Woollahra, New South Wales, Australia
Death: 1947
Wellington, Wellington, New Zealand

Richard Gustav Daniel Urbahn

Private User
12/15/2013 at 6:37 PM

Thanks Jason. I noticed on the My Heritage website that the family was called Urbanski. Richard is the only one who changed his last name from Urbanski to Urbahn.

12/16/2013 at 6:17 AM

Hi everyone, has anyone heard of a famous Polish Writer/Poet by the name of Waskowietz? (and its variations of spelling). My grandfather Alexey had told my aunts and uncles at one point that we had a famous writer by his family name either in Poland or Ukraine. I know of Lesya Ukrainka, and Ivan Franko. But know nothing of the Polish writers...Let me also say that my family lives in NW Ukraine in Volynia where the borders went back and forh often as you all know. When my baba was born it was under Polish rule..and my grandfather served i the Polish Army. So if anyone can help me in looking up that one family relative that would be great because i do not read or speak Polish.

12/16/2013 at 6:38 AM

ahhh but mine would be before 1900 though..and still in Poland/Ukraine

12/17/2013 at 10:58 AM

A może Tobie chodzi o pisarza publicystę - MELCHIOR WAŃKOWICZ - herbu "LIS", urodzony w miejscowości KAŁUŻYCE na Mińszczyźnie w styczniu 1892r. Był on korespondentem wojennym II Korpusu Polskiego gen.Władysława Andersa?

12/17/2013 at 11:34 AM

That Polish writer could be Jarosław Iwaszkiewicz. He was born 1894 in Kalnik, Kiev Governorate.

12/17/2013 at 4:53 PM

YOu know what that could very well be...Mariusz do you happen to have a picture of the Monument?

12/17/2013 at 8:48 PM

new zealand wars hero Maj. Gustavus Ferdinand von Tempsky from Braniewo, do you count him as german or polish?

Private User
1/21/2014 at 8:41 PM

Hi Peter,

Thanks for the update. There are three profiles of Richard Gustav Daniel Urbahn on Myheritage with two different birth places. I look forward to hearing the outcome.

http://www.myheritage.com/matchingresult-cf64725c80a4899e9e2a6efe37...

Best wishes,

6/19/2014 at 4:40 AM

Hi Kris
I have been able to work out this confusing secret, It would appear that 'Robert Urban' aka 'Robert Karl Urbahn' who is Keith Urbans' father was a fusion of two families with 'similar surnames' back in N.Z. one German history and one Polish. I can't say too much, but his DNA will be Polish - When his Brother Brian died in early April this year they unearthed a photo of another woman at the wake who was romantically involved with Karl Henry Urbahn (Robert's father) this alters the biological bit to add credence to my findings.
It appears to have been kept a secret well and truly, anyway as far as our family are concerned he has Polish genetics from the Urbanski lineage that originates specifically from the 'Noble House of Urbanski' that was formed in Haczow way back in 1602 and his Herb is also Neczuja with a bloodline that can be traced back to Count Felix Urbanski of Haczow Poland and further. I carry the DNA for this and according to my father Robert is my first cousin, FYI Robert is aware of this and does not wish to acknowledge this now that he is 72 years old.

Private User
6/19/2014 at 6:06 AM

Hi Karol,

Keith Urban is Polish descent. Please look at the post sent to me earlier today from Peter Urbanski (a direct descent). Can we please get Keith back on Geni Polska?

6/19/2014 at 4:42 PM

Hi Kris

My final comment on this subject is a bit of history for all of you, as told by our family, we were originally Urban back then in Haczow in 1580s King Sigismund 'sired' with the Urban women there before his first wife and then incidentally later with her sister...fact! Our family were 'unofficial' Royalty because he did'nt marry however he appreciated us so in 1602 he officially made our Nobility titles with the 'Ski 'being added to the surname to indicate this and formed the "House of Urbanski".
So my father was born 1912, my grandfather 1882 and his father around the 1840s so it only takes a few steps to be into Nobility.
The point is that Robert and his sons are not only of Polish heritage but a form of Polish Royalty and Nobility even though the constitution of Poland abolished this in March 1921. The family owned up to 28 different villages and hamlets over a few hundred years and in AYATOLA website records they are listed as Landed Magnates. FYI Haczow is the largest wooden church and oldest in the world and now protected by UNESCO. Our names are in the Church and graveyard there.
Kind Regards
Peter

6/20/2014 at 4:57 AM

That is such interesting history! Does Keith Urban know of rhis ancestry? I know he is a descendant from Polish Royalty? Just curious. I will have to tell my boys they are fans of his.

Malodie

6/20/2014 at 4:58 AM

Hi should say does he know

6/20/2014 at 7:36 AM

Hi Peter,
Thank you for clarifying and sharing the fascinating historical background of your family. You may want to know that Keith Urban's music is well known here in Sydney, and no doubt throughout Australia. He and Nicole (Kidman) are continually visible via some media or television program, they are truly a beautiful couple admired and much loved by the public.
Kind regards,
Pam

Private User
6/20/2014 at 10:01 AM

Hi Peter,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your amazing family story with us and proving that Keith Urban's ancestry is indeed Polish.

6/20/2014 at 11:35 AM

Here are some image search results for the keyword Haczów

http://www.google.com/search?q=Haczów&amp;client=safari&amp;hl=en&a...

6/20/2014 at 4:49 PM

Wonderful Erica. Thanks !

Showing 1-30 of 38 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion