Major Biblical interconnecting lines?

Started by Malka Mysels on Saturday, February 15, 2014
Problem with this page?

Profiles Mentioned:

Related Projects:

Showing all 8 posts
2/15/2014 at 7:00 PM

1. Queen Esther of Persia and Xerxes I 'the Great', king of Persia

2. Moses the Law Giver and Zipporah .http://www.tabletmag.com/jewish-life-and-religion/159356/did-moses-...

. . . "
If Moses’ marriage was indeed an “intermarriage,” then Tziporah was without parallel as a non-Jewish spouse. For, in Moses’ absence, she took it upon herself to circumcise their son (Exodus 4:25), symbolizing her commitment to Jewish continuity and her fealty to Jewish custom."

2/15/2014 at 7:08 PM

And of course Ruth, who was my role model since I happened to be reading the Book of Ruth in Hebrew with a college group in 1970 when I was choosing to identify ethnically / religiously with my Jewish side.

2/15/2014 at 7:16 PM

Boaz . and Ruth of Moab grandmother of King David.

2/15/2014 at 7:34 PM

Ha! that's the one I use to try to convince Margreta!

2/15/2014 at 7:35 PM

I am still moved by her words to Naomi.

2/15/2014 at 7:39 PM

וַתֹּ֤אמֶר רוּת֙ אַל־תִּפְגְּעִי־בִ֔י לְעָזְבֵ֖ךְ לָשׁ֣וּב מֵאַחֲרָ֑יִךְ כִּ֠י אֶל־אֲשֶׁ֨ר תֵּלְכִ֜י אֵלֵ֗ךְ וּבַאֲשֶׁ֤ר תָּלִ֙ינִי֙ אָלִ֔ין עַמֵּ֣ךְ עַמִּ֔י וֵאלֹהַ֖יִךְ אֱלֹהָֽי׃

Ruth was the GREAT-grandmother of King David of Israel. The Midrash says she lived to see him King, and had a chair set besides him.

2/16/2014 at 9:40 AM

I can't exactly remember what I was told about The Book of Ruth but I believe that it was that some people think it was written to make an important point about the ancestress of the most important Jewish leader of all time being a Moabite. For political purposes I guess :)

But for me and for so many who I know who are very Jewish in their identity and lives, but who are converts, it affirms us. Despite some who have told me that conversion is bad because haShem has a purpose for the goyim -- one was an idiot and the other a superstitious old man, both Israelis...

Showing all 8 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion