Francio, King of the Cimmerians - Cutting His Parents

Started by Justin Durand on Thursday, May 15, 2014
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Showing all 6 posts

I suggest cutting the parents of this Francio. The connection between the Frankish kings and the kings of Troy entered the European genealogical tradition very recently. The first hint of a connection comes some 2800 years after Francus' birth, and doesn't become explicit for several hundred years after that.

Francus was the eponymous ancestor and legendary hero of the Franks. He seems to have been an invention of Merovingian historians. Gregory of Tours, a 6th century Gallo-Roman historian wrote that nothing was known about the origin of the Franks except that they came from Pannonia. Gregory names some of the kings a few generations before his time but does not provide a connected genealogy. Francus is first named as an ancestor of the Franks by Fredegar (7th century), who also says he was a descendant of the Trojan king Priam but gives no details (Chronicon, II, 4-6, III, 2, 9).

In Les Grandes Chroniques (15th century) Francus was identified with Astyanax, son of the Trojan prince Hector (Chroniques de Saint-Denis, livre I, chap. I), but the chronology required a second, later Francus. In later iterations, this Francus became a son of the Trojan prince Cestrinus, who was identified with Genger, king of the Cimmerian Bosporus, and the later Francus became the son of Antharius, king of the Sicambrii.

Cutting this connection would eliminate most of the legendary Trojan descents from the trees of modern users. The connections that would be left would be those that go through Aeneas, King of Lavinium. We can deal with those in another thread.

@ i agree with you cut the parents and deal with it at a later date Judy Rice

Yes, agreed. The only thing I have ever read of this is the legend that Trier was founded by a Trojan Prince.

Okay. There seem to be no objections, so I cut the connection.

can we also remove the silly photo

Maybe we could replace it with something else.

Showing all 6 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion