Started by Private on Monday, June 9, 2014
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Related Projects:

Showing 1-30 of 105 posts
Private
6/9/2014 at 9:26 AM

I'm curious about the recent display name change for @Henry Howland, Jr. of Duxbury to Constable Henry Howland. It seemed that being a constable was a small part of his life -- perhaps being an early Quaker was a more important distinction -- but I think the addition "of Duxbury" to the suffix "Jr." is a clearer way of differentiating him from his father. Would anyone have a problem if I changed his display name back to that?

Also, I'm wondering about the family crest as his profile photo. Does anyone know if this crest was specifically granted to his ancestor?

From [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crest_%28heraldry%29 Wikipedia]:
"There is a widespread misconception, due in part to Victorian stationers' marketing of engraved letterheads, that a crest and a coat of arms belong to everyone with the same family name; but usage by persons not descended from the original grantee constitutes usurpation. Bogus "family crests" continue to be sold to the misinformed by heraldic "bucket shops"."

Perhaps it's time that Geni started moving away from these sorts of inaccuracies.

6/9/2014 at 9:31 AM

I don't mind sounds like you know what your talking about

6/9/2014 at 9:39 AM

I agree with you Kelley. I don't know the specifics of this crest, but, yes, it must be directly tied to descendants to be legitimately used.

6/9/2014 at 9:59 AM

Sorry about that just started this think i put constable cause i wanted to look up what it is. also when i find wiki trees is there a way to tell if they are mp so i dont take 50 trees that match if master profile should be good enough sorry Kelly didn't know i messed it up some how

6/9/2014 at 10:13 AM

did i change the crest to somehow i dont want to be manager of the profile not even sure how that happened

Private User
6/9/2014 at 10:31 AM

It's a good idea not to change information on Master Profiles without checking with the curator or getting consensus from some of the other managers. People can be very passionate about their ancestor's profiles and not everyone has the wonderful diplomatic skills that Kelly used when she started this discussion! ;-)

You didn't commit a crime, Steven, don't feel bad! It looks as though the crest appeared due to a merge of several profiles. Again, not a big deal, it's just that we want Geni's profiles, especially those for people like Henry Howland (who is an ancestor of many, many people), to be as accurate as possible. If he didn't legitimately have the right to use the crest, then it should be removed. Everyone is just trying to be responsible and diligent.

If you don't want to be a manager of the profile, you can remove yourself. Let us know if you need instructions on how to do that, someone will be glad to help. It's okay if you want to remain a manager, though!

Private User
6/9/2014 at 10:36 AM

"The first Constable in America was appointed in Plymouth Colony, Massachusetts. During that time, the leading official was the Justice of the Peace. Assisted by the Constable, they were in charge of the Colony Court, which was both judiciary and legislative. The Constable enforced the orders of colonial and county officials in both civil and criminal matters." from http://www.epcounty.com/constables/history.htm

More than 350 years ago, America’s first known system of law enforcement was established in Boston. As soon as colonists had settled there in 1630, local ordinances had allowed for constables to be appointed. Soon after, in April 1631, the townspeople formed a “watch” made up of six watchmen, one constable, and several volunteers who patrolled at night, walking the rounds.

Initially run by a combination of obligatory and voluntary participation, the 17th century watch typically reported fires, maintained order in the streets, raised the “hue and cry” (pursuing suspected criminals with loud cries to raise alarm), and captured and arrested lawbreakers. Constables had similar tasks, which included maintaining health and sanitation and bringing suspects and witnesses to court—frequently for such conduct as working on the Sabbath, cursing in public places, and failing to pen animals properly. from http://www.nleomf.org/museum/news/newsletters/online-insider/2012/A...

Private
6/9/2014 at 11:10 AM

Steven - Please don't worry! I don't think that it's possible to "mess" anything up in Geni. Each time new information is added, it gives everyone a chance to re-examine a profile or tree to see if even more improvements could be made.

And thank you, Jennifer, for your clarifications. It does seem that constable was quite an important position in colonial New England. Interesting that he gave up the position and even his freeman status when he embraced Quakerism.

I have a microfilm of the Pembroke MM records on request. The Howland family most like attended this meeting and I'll be curious to learn more about their history. I'll add anything of note to the family profiles.

6/9/2014 at 11:28 AM

Steven Donald Howden welcome to the Howland family. Look what an interesting story you've provoked, it's great.

I tend to think of "family crests" for Americans as like those old fashioned book plates.

Works of beauty & perhaps fancy to identify - "this is me."

There's a marvelous collection of Victorian bookplates on line at the Pratt Institute, I'll post a link shortly.

6/9/2014 at 11:44 AM

According to this image

https://www.flickr.com/photos/houghtonmodern/8692090773/

John Howland of the Mayflower had a crest ... Not sure if at all true. :)

6/9/2014 at 12:13 PM

I didnt think i was changing anything when i put that to look at and i added all the wiki trees that matched some may had had different info i dont know how to till if it is a master profile untill after you add it i wasnt aware that i was changing anything i thought i could only change my own i had anyways i had added all the wiki trees that seemed to have the same info but some may not of had children or siblings where others did i definatly dont want to mess things up i notice that master profiles seem better informed if knew which one was before i pick them

Private User
6/9/2014 at 12:29 PM

I don't think Wiki Trees have Master Profile labels, I think that's only on Geni. You know, I've gotten to the point where I only add one or two of those Smart Matches, Steven. Most of them are filled with so many errors that they're not worth spending time on. I just give them all a quick glance, and if I can find one that doesn't have obvious errors AND isn't full of "private" profiles AND isn't filled with names in ALL-CAPS AND is pretty complete, then I confirm it as a match. Otherwise I reject them all because I think they're only going to confuse people and not be helpful. For what it's worth, that's the way I do it!

You can tell if Geni profile is a Master Profile by that little green "MP" next to the name - but I'm guessing you already know that.

I think you DID only change your own - but then your profile for him got merged with the Master Profile for him. It's fine, no big deal.

Seriously, it's awesome that you're conscientious, but don't worry. You really didn't do anything bad! And look at the great discussion we've been able to have because of the questions that came up! It's okay, just keep at it!

Private User
6/9/2014 at 1:40 PM

Howland's overview is a mess. I think I'll spend some time this afternoon re-writing it and then perhaps the other managers can look it over and make any changes that seems appropriate to them...

Private User
6/9/2014 at 8:04 PM

Okay, I've consolidated all of the file dumps that were in his overview and tried to make some sense of the whole thing. Either his parentage remains unknown, or if it's been discovered recently it's not sourced. I couldn't find anything new. Unless someone is able to provide more current work than what I've cited, it appears that he needs to be disconnected from his current parents.

Additionally, his wife is not only not proven to be Mary Newland, but two of the preeminent genealogists who've published re: Henry Howland say that she was NOT a Newland. See citations and Discussion section of Overview. Unless someone knows of more recent and earthshaking work, it appears that she needs to be disconnected from the Newland lines.

6/9/2014 at 8:07 PM

Give me a couple of days (and others welcome to join in). I've worked the Howland tree a lot & I could swear the "Fen" father was right.

Private User
6/9/2014 at 8:11 PM

Awesome!

6/9/2014 at 9:12 PM

The Newland wife on the other hand ... Unless someone says differently I think should be disconnected & a survey of how pervasive the story is to determine if we need placeholder unknown parents.

I wish I could remember why I think the Howland tree to England is right .... :):)

Private User
6/9/2014 at 9:22 PM

Sleep on it! It's in there somewhere, it'll bubble up. K, if there's no scream of outrage by tomorrow morning I'll zap the wife and start web survey.

Private User
6/9/2014 at 9:23 PM

Um, when I say "zap the wife" I mean un-Newland her. Not wipe her out of existence. :D

Private
6/9/2014 at 10:42 PM

Thank you, Jennifer, for tidying all that up! It really was quite a mess.

I also noticed the part about the questionable Newlands and agree that they should be disconnected until proven. If Robert Anderson says "no", then it's got to go.

Private User
6/10/2014 at 5:23 AM

@You can change his name back that is no problem with me Judy Rice

Private User
6/10/2014 at 2:08 PM

Erica, I just cut Mary "Sarah" Howland free of her Newland-ish parents but can't change her name as those fields are locked. Pretty please will you unlock them so I can edit edit edit? Then I'll do her overview and that will be that. For this issue, anyhow!

6/10/2014 at 3:42 PM

Done. I added links to her not! Father William N. Newland, of Kent & Sandwich & mother Agnes/Alice Anne Newland to her overview for easier navigation and will investigate to see if the Newlands did have a daughter Mary. If so I'll make an MP profile belonging to them that so they can't be merged.

I'm really grateful to Steven Donald Howden for having us take a look at this family.

6/10/2014 at 3:44 PM

Wait a minute

Has anyone seen this?

http://genforum.genealogy.com/newland/messages/959.html

Child of WILLIAM NEWLAND and CATHERINE MELLOWES is:
       i.       MARY NEWLAND, d. Jun 17, 1674, Duxbury, Plymouth Co., MA (Source: A Brief Genealogical and Biographical History of Arthur, Henry and John Howland and Their Descedants / Vital Records of Duxbury, MA); m. HENNERY HOWLAND, THE IMMIGRANT, Abt. 1628, England (Source: New England Marriages Prior to 1700); b. Bef. 1613, Fenstanton, Huntingtonshire, England (Source: NGSQ, Vol. 75, Henry Howland of Duxbury, MA); d. Jan 17, 1670/71, Duxbury, Plymouth Co., MA (Source: Lineage of Pardon Head & Harriett Russell / Vital Records of Duxbury, MA).

6/10/2014 at 3:50 PM

That would be "this" William Newland, of Sandwich

Showing on Geni with 2 wives and a daughter Mary (Newland) Edwards by his 1st Mercy Edwards

6/10/2014 at 3:56 PM

http://interactive.ancestry.com/2496/42521_b158312-00126/14075?back... Rose Allen m 1) Joseph Holloway 2) William Newland of Sandwich

Private User
6/10/2014 at 4:03 PM

Yes, those citations are in Henry's Sources. However, Anderson debunks that and claims additionally that no marriage record has been found...

6/10/2014 at 4:14 PM

Wait - let's be specific.

I just found what could be the origin of the Mary Newland, daughter of William (or is it John) Newland & Agnes (or is it Alice) Greenaway mixup.

She has a death date of Jun 17, 1647

Mary Collins?

Mary (---) Howland's death date is a simple transposition -

June 17, 1674

BUT I don't know that the children of Catherine Mellowes are accounted for.

This impacts you & me directly you know - ALLEN. :).

The overview for Henry Howland is so much better. Wow.

6/10/2014 at 4:22 PM

Answer - Catherine Mellowes married a "different" William Newland. I am making a new profile.

http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~hwbradley/aqwg105...

William NEWLAND 1, 2, 3 was born 1602 in Boston, Lincolnshire, England. He married Catherine MELLOWES on 17 Jan 1628 in Boston, Lincolnshire, England.

Citations

1 Jacobus, Donald Lines, Bulkeley Genealogy (New Haven, Connecticut: Tuttle, Morehouse & Taylor Co., 1933.), p. 25, Los Angeles Public Library, 929.2 B934.

2 Anderson, Robert Charles, The Great Migration Begins: Immigrants to New England, 1620-1633 (Boston: New England Historic Genealogical Society, 1995-), 2:1249, Los Angeles Public Library, Gen 974 A549.

3 Richardson, Douglas, Plantagenet Ancestry: A Study in Colonial and Medieval Families (Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing Company, 2004.), p. 164, Family History Library, 942 D5rd.

Showing 1-30 of 105 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion