George Allen, of Sandwich - Additional link?

Started by Private User on Friday, June 27, 2014
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Related Projects:

Showing 1-30 of 125 posts
6/27/2014 at 6:37 PM

I don't recall George Allen.

6/27/2014 at 6:52 PM

His profile is here, Lisa

George Allen, of Sandwich

He shows as my 10th great grand father (which is possibly not accurate - it's a very difficult tree)

6/27/2014 at 6:54 PM

Anne -

This is a great note

"George Allen senior, died in Sandwich, May 2, 1648, aged about 80. In his will, proved 7 June, 1649, he named his five sons, Matthew, Henry, Samuel, George, and Wiiliam, and also made provision for his "five least children," without naming them. His wife, Catherine, was made executrix. She was his second wife and was born about 1605."

It gives a basis to start pruning. :)

6/27/2014 at 7:20 PM

Private User

We had been chatting in mail about descent from Samuel Allen, of Braintree

So I took the opportunity just now to see if there's been any news from DNA studies.

And YES there has:

http://www.johnbrobb.com/JBR-ALLEN-R.htm

"The second ALLEN Patrilineage 2 patriarch is George’s close relative, the immigrant Samuel1 Allen of Braintree, Massachusetts Bay Colony (say 1604 - 1669), and you will find much more on him below, and in the newly researched papers I’ve published: “Two New England Patriarchs...”, and the accompanying evidential timeline. I am indebted to genealogist Susie Hartman for supplying the key genealogical evidence that shows that Patrilineage 2 patriarch Samuel2 ALLEN of Bridgewater, Plymouth, was in fact the son of Samuel1 of Braintree, not of George1 of Sandwich, as other circumstantial evidence strongly suggested."

======

In other words, if I understand this correctly, the evidence suggest they were related - but NOT father and son.

Anyone else?

6/27/2014 at 7:53 PM

Reading a little bit more on the DNA studies:

"The most comprehensive and best evidenced treatment that I know of for the generation of George1 and Samuel1 are the two papers that I’ve just published (Apr2014): “Two NewEngland Patriarchs, Not One: Samuel Allen of Braintree ”, and the corresponding “Evidential Timeline for Patriarchs George1 & Samuel1 ALLEN”. These papers do not cover all the details of these men’s careers, but they do focus analytically on all the salient genealogical and contextual historical evidence concerning these men and their relationship, and they show, I believe, conclusively, the George and Samuel must have been the closest of relatives short of being father and son."

6/27/2014 at 8:12 PM

Disconnected Nehemiah Allen, of Salisbury & Northampton as son of Samuel Allen of Braintree

Private User
6/27/2014 at 9:06 PM

Nice post! - What I get from it is that George is probably not the father of Sam of Braintree, but IS the father of the Weymouth George, AND the father of Sam of Bridgewater is up for grabs between the George and Braintree Sam? Is that your take on it? And why disconnect Nehemiah from Braintree? There are a couple of sources that attach Nehemiah to Braintree.

6/27/2014 at 9:10 PM

Erica what is your reasons for disconnecting Nehemiah Allen, of Salisbury & Northampton

Just want to follow your thinking.

Private User
6/27/2014 at 9:35 PM

You know, it occurs to me that if George and Sam 1 were "the closest of relatives short of being father and son" then perhaps there were two Sams who ended up living and dying in Braintree, one who is the son of George and one who isnt. But because these two men both died in Braintree, they are getting confused with each other. Is that possible?

6/27/2014 at 9:50 PM
6/27/2014 at 9:52 PM

Just want to remind everyone we discussed this extensively here

http://www.geni.com/discussions/88305?by_or_about=60000000030756788...

6/27/2014 at 10:02 PM

Well, it's still not clear to me who the Samuel named in George's will was - can you look into that while I'm slicing, dicing & uploading docs?

This is breaking news - the report ruling out a father / son relationship between George of Sandwich & Samuel of Braintree was published April 2014, not even 3 months ago.

Very exciting what DNA studies are resulting in.

6/27/2014 at 10:05 PM

Nehemiah Allen is not a known child of either of these families as far as I can see from wills. Would appreciate a double check of course but residence in the Mass Bay Colony / Western MA / CT river valley is a waving flag.

6/27/2014 at 10:14 PM

I will list the known children of Samuel of Braintree shortly. But please note an important point about George's family: they stuck to Sandwich on Cape Cod in the Plymouth Colony. George was a Puritan but when the Quakers came to Sandwich in the 1650s, the Allen's joined in. Loudly. And were especially persecuted by George Barlow "the tyrant."

So when they started migrating, it was to Friend friendly Rhode Island. Not CT, not MA where their ears would be cut off.

Private User
6/27/2014 at 10:19 PM

Yes i see it. It is very long and quite involved thread, a lot about George and his marriages I see. Hard to tease it all out about the different Sams though. I see a Sam of Braintree b in England d in Braintree 1669, I see a Sam b. in Braintree 1632 d. in Weymouth 1728, I see another Sam b. in England 1588. d. in Braintree 1648 (referred to in other threads elsewhere) and a Sam of Bridgewater who is referred to in the will posted above as the son of Sam of Braintree, brother of James & Sara m Josiah Standish & another female child m Nathaniel Greenwood by Ann and then half brother of Abigail and Joseph Allen by Margaret Lamb. Then in my post above you see that she and Joseph sold land to Sam of Bridgewater which I am assuming is land in Braintree, so if Sam of Bridgewater then moved back to Braintree after receiving this land, we have at least two Sams in Braintree.

BTW, I am assuming Nehemiah Sr. was removed by Erica because he does not appear in the will posted above.

6/27/2014 at 10:43 PM

This is the will:

"His will was probated 16 Sept. 1669 and mentions wife Margaret, sons Joseph, Samuel and James, daughter Abigail, sons-in-law Josiah Standish and Nathaniel Greenwood."

Absolutely no reason to associate Nehemiah, who died in far Western Massachusetts, with Plymouth Colony families.

Anne, now you're moving faster than I can, I'm sorry! I do one generation at a time and focus on the immigrant generations.

So for your purposes of tracing your ancestry, I think perhaps you go back to where it becomes confused and work on documenting that profile for us?

That gives a chance for "this" generation to get clarified.

It might be possible you need to go up a different Allen line altogether.

6/27/2014 at 10:49 PM

Ann Whitmore was not the wife of Samuel Allen, she was an entirely different person.

See http://capecodgenes.com/web%20cards/ps01/ps01_204.html

6/27/2014 at 11:01 PM
6/27/2014 at 11:07 PM
Private User
6/27/2014 at 11:30 PM

OK, I am sorry to confuse it all. I am clear that I am in the Phineas Allen -> Timothy Allen -> Sam III line, but I get lost when attaching Sam Allen III to his father for sure, and then after that up the line to the correct Patriarch.

6/27/2014 at 11:34 PM

Deacon Samuel Allen has too many children. There should only be 10. Merging needed, checking needed.

This site is good. The help is appreciated because I will need to move over to my more direct lines now.

http://www.geneajourney.com/allen.html

6/27/2014 at 11:37 PM

Also for Samuel of Weymouth an additional wife of Anna Wilmouth is listed here http://capecodgenes.com/web%20cards/ps01/ps01_220.html

Private User
6/27/2014 at 11:58 PM

Are you saying that our "Sam of Weymouth" Profile is the same "Sam of Bridgewater" referred to in Sam Braintree's will (posted above?

Samuel Allen, of Braintree

Deacon Samuel Allen

6/28/2014 at 12:09 AM

Good catch - his death location was wrong. I corrected it & updated his display name to the accurate Samuel of Bridgewater. He was a 1st settler of the town & it's clerk. He has too many children - if you go to the Sarah Partridge profile overview & look at the list there, you can post the wrong children here to be moved. Copy & paste the link if you can, or otherwise just type the name & birth year of anyone who doesn't belong.

6/28/2014 at 12:14 AM

Angus just so you know my method. If the profiles match for spouse & children but not for parents, I merge, then disconnect the wrong parents.

We are one at a point of overlapping Allen families.

By working from bottom up the generations align correctly, and it's much easier to resolve a tree conflict by conforming it to the MP tree than going round & round.

Private User
6/28/2014 at 12:24 AM

According to this, Sam of Bridgewater, son of Sam of Braintree and Deacon Sam are the same man

Private User
6/28/2014 at 12:31 AM

According to this, Sam of Bridgewater, (who is also the son of Sam of Braintree) and Deacon Sam are the same man

6/28/2014 at 12:52 AM

That is correct. Are there 2 Master Profiles? I don't think so. This is the Samuel who married Sarah Partridge; genealogy trick: identify by wife. Hopefully she has a different name for each of the endless string of "Samuel Allen.". :):)

Showing 1-30 of 125 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion