Profiles Mentioned:

Related Projects:

Showing 1-30 of 57 posts
Private User
11/9/2014 at 10:51 AM

Request general assistance from Curators working on the SA branch of the 'WFT'

2/9/2015 at 1:16 AM

Hi there

Last year October I had a problem on Geni and contacted Dries Potgieter or told me he would try and sort it out. I have left it until last week and contacted him again and he said he had contacted Bets Steyn but she has not got back to him. I have since sent Bets a message and she has not contacted me back, maybe she no longer has access to email. Here is the copy of the message I
Managers of Margaretha Wilhelmina Moolman, b9c4d6e5,

I am contacting you about this profile:
http://www.geni.com/people/Margaretha-Wilhelmina-Moolman/6000000019...

I have a death notice for Wessel Johannes Gerhardus Moolman married to Margaretha Wilhelmina Johanna Sophia Blomerus on which it states his parents were Wessel Johannes Moolman and Sarah Moolman (born Moolman). I am confused with what is on Geni and was wondering if you could clear this up for me. If you can send me an email address I can forward it to you. I sent this to Dries Potgieter last year and to date it is still not resolved.

Sincerely,

Merril Moolman

Private User
2/9/2015 at 2:13 AM

Hi Merril

Please re-paste the url from the profile page, the one above is copied from the discussion and is truncated and therefore doesn't work. You can email the DN to me: donno@wol.co.za (or upload it to the profile)

2/9/2015 at 5:14 AM

Margaretha Wilhelmina Moolman, d6e5

I will email you the DN now which states his mothers name was Sarah. Maybe Bets has another DN and that he might of been married twice?

Thanks
Merril

2/9/2015 at 8:58 AM

Hi Donovan

Thanks for adding Sarah but I still need to know if the other details are correct. Did you get hold of Bets Steyn?

Regards
Merril

Private User
2/9/2015 at 10:39 AM

I have just sent her a message Merril (I copied you in).

Private User
2/10/2015 at 6:56 PM

Can RSA be used as the abbreviation for South Africa throughout Geni?

The use of SA for both South Australia and South Africa is confusing.

It is the standard English abbreviation known to the world, but for some obscure reason seems to be unfamiliar to South Africans. The ZA ISO code is almost never used, as being too confusing.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_IOC_country_codes
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/South_Africa

Private User
2/11/2015 at 7:28 AM

Would appreciate anyone (and everyones?) help with my 4th great grandfather's S/VPROG & MP:
Frans Karel Willem Stieler, SV/PROG

WIth the most amazing assistance of Private User (for which I am extremely grateful) we were able to establish that the family arrived from Amsterdam in 1861.

I searched the NL archives and found record of his departure from Amsterdam for Cape Town, South Africa. There are some curious annotations re: "aanmerkingen betreffende de landverhuizers" which I'm having difficulty reading. One comment, for example, mentions

Would appreciate assistance in reading the document received from NL archive, and perhaps just general assistance in piecing all the information together.

There's info from SAG, info from TAB records I've sourced, as well as Anglo-Boer War records and some "promising" bits re: General Schiel and the Old Johannesburg Fort.

Some of the names on the document from Amsterdam might be of interest to other Geni(uses).

Please; and thank you...

Private User
2/11/2015 at 7:40 AM

1:38am - Inadvertently an error! I forgot to add:
One comment, for example, mentions "per de Zaanstroom". Zaanstroom was a Dutch Frigate built in Amsterdam.

2/15/2015 at 5:09 AM

SA Curators, please assist
------------------------------------

With respect to Nicolaas Johannes Petrus van der Meulen, SV/Prog, a2 (Nicolaas (Johannes Petrus) van der Meulen, SV/PROG 2):

I am not (a) particularly closely related to the Van der Meulens (but did help to create some parts of the Van der Meulen tree here on GENI.com, thus my general interest in its accuracy); nor (b) am I an expert on the topic of the Van der Meulen genealogy. I therefore ask my question in all modesty and would be happy to stand corrected.

According to all the sources I could find (copies have been posted under "Sources" in his profile), Nicolaas Johannes Petrus van der Meulen was only married to ONE lady by the maiden name of Roux, namely Elisabeth Roux, SM-b2c8d10 (Elisabeth Roux, SM-b2c8d10).

However, here on GENI.com, he is shown to be married additionally to Elisabeth Maria Johanna Roux, a1b2c4d11 (Elisabeth Maria Johanna Roux, a1b2c4d11). Thus far, I have not been able to locate evidence supporting this marriage. (My inability to find supporting evidence is, admittedly, not proof that such a marriage did not take place.)

I have written to the managers of the profile of Elisabeth Maria Johanna Roux, a1b2c4d11 (Elisabeth Maria Johanna Roux, a1b2c4d11) on more than one occasion, asking if they could please double-check, or could perhaps let me know on what source they base their placement of this profile on GENI.com.

Whatever the reasons might be, I have not received any replies to my enquiries.

Is this something I could perhaps ask the SA Curators to look into? It would be nice to get the Van der Meulen tree corrected, or alternatively to have it confirmed that such a marriage did in fact take place. I am OK with either outcome. :-)

I thank you in advance for your time and trouble.

Kind regards

Nico Conradie

Private User
2/15/2015 at 7:05 AM

Private User Try this discussion for translation assistance: http://www.geni.com/discussions/102380

Private User
2/15/2015 at 7:06 AM

Private User You make a good point, I will use RSA in future and I will recommend others do same..

Private
2/16/2015 at 3:25 AM

Don I don't have the time this week to read to much. I came in late here.
I will be in on the RSA when abbreviated of SA or ZA. I usually type it out. South Africa.
Nico you research are alwys spot on. I will see what is the problem there with van der Meulen and give my view.
Judi

Private
2/16/2015 at 3:31 AM

Nico if I look at the DN of the son it is def. as you say.
http://www.geni.com/documents/view?doc_id=6000000028102873333
Judi

2/22/2015 at 12:57 PM

Thanks for your comment, Judi

(I am referring to my enquiry re Nicolaas Johannes Petrus van der Meulen)

I guess I am then asking if you or one of the other curators could perhaps help to "correct" the tree in this respect?

As far a I recall, I do not have the permissions to delete the erroneous relationship referred to in my enquiry.

Thanks for your time and trouble.

Regards

Nico

Private
2/22/2015 at 2:07 PM

Nico remind me tomorrow. It is past midnight and Jan is for sure not too happy with me now☺
J

5/1/2015 at 12:15 PM

Hello to you all,

I was wondering if someone could help me out with something I received a copy of a certificate on my great great grandfather but the it says Orphan Chambers Transvaal. I am a little confused as I know it has something to do with been registered as an Orphan but he supposedly came to S.A only as a teenage boy. I went further to see if I could find out what this could mean and I was directed to a site http://databases.tanap.net/mooc/ and I tried to enter in his name and nothing came up so if someone could help me clarify this mystery I would much appreciate it.

Kind Regards

Lee-Ann

Lee-Ann, What was the name of your great grandfather. The reference /data base does not respond. I am your 6th cousin 2 times removed, that's from the boere side.

5/1/2015 at 12:44 PM

Hi Dries,

Wow that blows your mind when you meet relations even with a gap his name was George Henry Parker I have a copy of the certificate but I do not know what it means first time to come across this sort of document.

Lee-Ann, as I have said that's from Boere side, I see there are about 29 George Henry Parkers in Geni. If you can tell me which one your great grandfather was I can work out another road to him.

Donovan, I will appreciate your input here. I is about CONFLICTING DATA
in the merge centers.
To me it seems that the corrections are only guessing.
With the years I have got used to the different ways members complete the profiles. The Most ABNORMALTIES are (1) Maiden names being use all through (2) Still putting all the names in the first name Colom. (3) using Capital letters or small letters all through. (4) the using of or not using of Capital letters in surnames that starts with van, du, de ext. as in van der Merwe. (5) forgetting to click in the circa block where applicable
The above is minors. What is to do when it come to real issues like wrong birth/death date, different spelling of names. usually the Old spelling and the Modern spelling.
Is expected of you to do all the going to or investigating the sources or must such profiles been referred back to the managers.

By the way I see that there are 341 items standing in my Collaborators Conflicting Center , am I in a way responsible for that as well

5/3/2015 at 6:18 PM

Hello Dries

I have documents that I will scan and up load I know who he is I was just trying to find out more about what they mean especially the Orphan Chambers one. This is the George Henry I am taking about George Henry Parker, SV/PROG

Private User
5/4/2015 at 12:04 AM

Dries, re your real issues..

If you have more correct data you should edit the profile with a citation of your source if possible.. If you notice a date that is improbable start a discussion on the profile..

Re: old spelling vs new spelling... there are different schools of thought on whether the earliest recorded spelling OR the more commonly used spelling should be recorded... I'm not an advocate for either camp.. as long as alternative spellings are recorded in the 'AKA' we have done our job..

Re: your 'Collaborators merge centre'.. no you are not responsible, but you are welcome to have a go at those issues..

5/26/2015 at 1:00 AM

Hello All i am back and as i mentioned I need some assistance I had asked but never really go anywhere. I am trying to locate on where the following person Susanna Cathrina Parker fits into the Liebenberg side of the family she was married in krugersdorp to George Henry Parker and thats as far as i have gotten as i can not find any infomation on the usual sites eg familysearch, eggsa, naairs.

Private
6/3/2015 at 3:24 AM

Lee-Ann can you perhaps give me some dates then I maybe able to assist you as this is only 10 minutes from home.
Judi

9/3/2015 at 6:00 PM

Hello there
Maybe you can help me resolve some issues that are bothering me - thorns in my tree so to speak...
My great grandfather was a Harry Chapman who was born in Shropshire, England 1884, but died in Johannesburg, 1942. The only info I have is that he arrived too late to fight in the second Boer War, and that in his later years he was a diamond detective, which intrigues me... My namesake grandfather, Evan Chapman, was born in Kimberley in 1914 and so it seems that he stayed for some time in the Northern Cape.
What I would like to know is when did he arrive at the Cape, and then did he stay on, or did he return home, only to emigrate at a later date (if so, when)?
Apparently, he was buried in the Olivedale Cemetary, which is also interesting, as that is the next suburb over from where I now live, but I can find no record of a Cemetary there...
And then any further general information would be much appreciated.
Evan Snyman (born Chapman)

Private
9/9/2015 at 4:39 AM

Evan Frank Snyman do you know the full names of Harry Chapman?
Judi

Private
9/9/2015 at 4:44 AM

I do find this in TAB-.
DEPOT TAB
SOURCE RAD
TYPE LEER
VOLUME_NO 12
SYSTEM 01
REFERENCE 0146
PART 1
DESCRIPTION CLAIM FOR COMPENSATION (WITWATERSRAND AREA) HARRY CHAPMAN.
STARTING 1902
ENDING 1902

Private
9/9/2015 at 4:47 AM

Also this estate in TAB.
If you can contact one of the researchers there or if you think this is the correct one, then I can give you an e-mail to ask someone to research it for you.
DEPOT TAB
SOURCE MHG
TYPE LEER
VOLUME_NO 0
SYSTEM 01
REFERENCE 2981/42
PART 1
DESCRIPTION CHAPMAN, HARRY.
STARTING 19420000
ENDING 19420000
REMARKS SURVIVING SPOUSE MARY CHAPMAN.

Private User
11/11/2015 at 10:46 AM

Good evening all, could the private profiles on this page please be opened up? -
http://www.geni.com/family-tree/index/6000000011846212039#600000001...

Thank you in advance

Showing 1-30 of 57 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion