Bugs & Questions about Smart Copy

Started by Dan Cornett on Wednesday, March 18, 2015
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Related Projects:

Showing 3061-3090 of 3306 posts

re: "OK-did the logoff/login task, twice and the icon is still grey. Removed/ re-installed Chrome, Twice and the icon is still grey. Cleared the browser history and cookies on Chrome twice, icon is still grey.

I don't know if this makes a difference or not. What I have been doing in the past successfully, is use Chrome to access findagrave and use Safari at the same time to access geni.com It has never been a problem until now." ... problem with grey SC icon by Jeff Keith Prevéy ...

Do you get a "login window" prompt when you click on the greyed-out icon in Chrome?

Everything seems fine now. I re-booted computer, logged out/in, un-installed all the browsers, cleared history, deleted cookies, all of it, Now - -it works. Can't say what I did that made it happen.

Noticed an issue before but really aware of it today---
The TITLE of photo brought into the profile from FaG is different from the FaG profile.
See https://www.geni.com/photo/view?album_type=photos_of_me&id=6000...
The profile is properly tagged
In This Photo:
Sarah Jane Large (Prince)

but the title says: Virgie Bradley (born Large)

A prior one said Cora Abbott Curnutte (born Prince) which makes me think of Dan Cornett so I thought to comment here.

See https://www.geni.com/photo/view?album_type=photos_of_me&id=6000...

Smart Copy is still giving photos an erroneous name in the title portion.

Minor glitch you might want to be aware of. I was trying to update Lewis P Brady from Find a Grave.

Find a Grave doesn't have a birth date and the death date is "1 ???" (without the quotations), which I'm guessing is why it wouldn't let me update it. I wanted to at least add the photo and link. https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/12543827/louis-f-brady

Enhancement request for 4.10.22: Change the default surname field for Female persons from blank to birth surname, same as is currently done for Male persons.

Leaving it blank causes extra pasting of the birth surname for every unmarried Female person.

Was there a reason why it was coded this way? Thanks.

I have still have problems with SmartCopy and the grey icon.

Help?

Jeff Keith Prevéy you will have to give more detail if you want us to be able to help you.

Dan Cornett would it be possible to add an project export of project members? (project followers.would be nice as well)
If would be nice to get a profile link and some data like when they joined the project and when they last updated the project (if ever) and if possible if they are still active on Geni.

Job - the SmartCopy icon should be blue when I am on www.findagrave.com. It has worked in the past, but now the icon is grey. When I click on it, I get nothing other than what looks like a folded page with frown. I have un-stalled and re-installed Chrome a couple of times and have gone thru all the steps, But, still get the grey icon.

There was a discussion about this, but it seems to have stopped.

Jeff Keith Prevéy
That stopping discussion could be because https://www.geni.com/discussions/145968?msg=1648239
If you click on the icon do you get a logon screen? (grey icon means you have not given SmartCopy the right to access your Geni account)
If you look at the browser console do you see any errors?
If you look at the background task for SmartCopy in Chrome do you see any messages that can help?

I have given SmartCopy permission every time I have re-loaded Chrome. /the only error msg I get is "geni.com refused to connect."

What is the background task for SmartCopy? That is a new term for me.

Right click the Smartcopy icon on Chrome to get the menu choose the bottom one

do you get something like this:
www.geni.com/media/proxy?media_id=6000000198788095843&size=large
You need to log in on Geni before you can use SmartCopy

Annoying error: Whitespace is not stripped from occupation when using SmartCopy from MH profiles

Adding on to what Private User said, the same problem is true for GEDCOM trees that load only the birth surname of male profiles. SC does not read the birth surname on male profiles, therefore using SC for Family Search brings up thousands of matches, because there the last name field is blank.

Either the GEDCOM trees need to have the last name field populated, or SC should be modified to read the birth surname field, if the last name field is blank.

On a whim, I re-loaded Chrome, signed into GENI, authorized access, went outside for some fresh air and when I came back the icon is blue and SmartCopy seems to be working.

What I did differently than the others times, I have no idea. Maybe the tide wasn't right or the moon was in the wrong phase.

Oh well, we see how it goes. Thanks for the help.

Jeff Keith Prevéy SmartCopy has a problem at the moment in that it does not always remembers its on/off setting for the consistency checks, so if you use those you may have to turn them off and on again to get them working again (those checks can by very handy to see data conflicts).

Many thanks.s I am sure that the software developers have been made aware of the issue.

Enjoy the day.

Enhancement request for 4.10.22: Fix the Marriage Order so that Marriage Orders are imported correctly when importing from Ancestry.

Birth orders are importing correctly, and the parser can even insert a new sibling in the correct order to an existing Family Group that was entered previously.

So whatever works for Birth Order can hopefully be used to correct what is not working for Marriage Order.

The current fix is to manually post-order the Marriages after import. Thanks.

Was there a reason why it was coded this way? Thanks.

This is a BUG but not about Smart Copy. Didn't know where to post this.

Anywho... every time I complete a merge, it takes me to a page that says, "Geni Will Be Right Back!"

It's been doing that for over 24 hours. I literally, go back a page, which shows the comparisons, and then I just hit the link on the bottom that says, "I'll decide later" and it usually helps me get to the next set of merges. Or I click the name of the profile that I just merged, and then resolve the conflicting data.

It's happening every time. Didn't know if it was just me, or other users. I'm on Microsoft Edge BTW.

Private User Raise a support call directly with Geni as it is not an issue with SmartCopy

JUST NOW having an issue with Smart Copy--- going to wrong "address"
See: Anna Thaler

For some reason, SC added James David Lay's wives to Anna Thaler. When I clicked to give him the two wives from FaG, it showed he was already attached to a male spouse but that did NOT show on the profile at Geni so I went ahead and added the two wives and they went TO Anna instead.
Disconnecting and fixing but is the first time I have EVER seen this.

For the above--- husband of Anna ( David Thaler) is who FaG showed as attached to James David Lay.

There's an import that when merged gave all these duplicate children and that is what I have been trying to clean up so the apparent bug is just another odd thing...

SC is adding again instead of updating.

Job - the issue w/SmartCopy grey icon instead of blue is back. I have done everything I can think of the resolve the issue to no prevail. I have done the log-out/log-in thing and nothing. Have given access - nothing.

If you have a Chrome browser you can look at the background task and see if that gives any useful error message. Do you see anything useful if you look at the error console?
Could it be another add-on or virus checker?
Did you try in privacy mode? Different browsers? Other device?
It is very difficult to guess what could be the problem without more info.

Hello Job. I believe that SmartCopy only works w/Chrome, which is what I am using. I have only used it on my iMac. I have not seen anything that gives me the idea that there is anything wrong. No error messages. I have done the login/logout steps a couple of times, but still get the grey icon when I open findagrave they my Chrome browser. Sometimes, when I open the Chrome browser the SmartCopy icon is blue. But, when I go to findagrave the icon is grey. This has happened before and for whatever reason, the icon was blue and I could use SmartCopy.

Thanks for the help in advance.

You can Use SmartCopy with other browsers
www.geni.com/media/proxy?media_id=6000000200990181854&size=large
but not sure they will work on an Imac.
Did you look at the browser console for error messages and did you look at the popup console?
Could you try on a telephone or other device?

Thanks, this is good to know. Thank you.

I will try a tablet later today.

Showing 3061-3090 of 3306 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion