Waldrada of Wormsgau - Anniversary

Started by Justin Durand on Thursday, April 9, 2015
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Showing all 15 posts
4/9/2015 at 8:16 PM

We don't often see blog posts about our medieval ancestors, so this one caught my eye.

THE ERASED HISTORY OF QUEEN WALDRADA

Today is the anniversary of the death of Queen Waldrada.

Now, let me be the first to admit that hers is hardly a household name. At the time of writing, she does not even have an English Wikipedia page, a sure sign of the historical B-list (she does have a short one in German, and an inaccurate one in French). But her passage into obscurity was considerably pre-internet. Though we know the day of her death, no one recorded the year (presumably around 900). And in one document concerning her, some later medieval scribe even took the trouble literally to write her out of history, erasing her name and replacing it with a made-up ‘Rotrude’.

Read more:
http://turbulentpriests.group.shef.ac.uk/the-erased-history-of-quee...

4/9/2015 at 9:05 PM

nice info; thanks Justin

4/9/2015 at 9:08 PM

Waldrada was my 32nd great-grandmother. Interesting article with some good points.

Thanks...

Private User
4/10/2015 at 5:26 AM

Waldrada is my 31st grt grandmother grt article thks for sharing Justine

4/10/2015 at 6:17 AM

Hi Judy and Amy....Waldrada is my 30th great-grandma.

http://www.geni.com/path/Reidun-Carstens+is+related+to+Waldrada-of-...

Thank you for sharing Justine :)

4/10/2015 at 7:42 AM

If you need any assistance with the German Translations, I stand at your beck and call, Justin.
xoxoxoTheresa Renée

4/10/2015 at 7:58 AM

Thanks for offering, Theresa. I took German in college. Can usually muddle through, but I might need you someday ;)

4/10/2015 at 8:07 AM

Anytime, Justin, anytime. ;-)

4/10/2015 at 9:47 AM

I will take you up on your offer someday Theresa Renée Eléna Tossas-Cox! I took German in HS and college but it's been decades and I have learned 6 or 7 languages since then.

4/10/2015 at 11:34 AM

Dear Hatte, Glad to assist, wherever and whomever I can, with my German Residential skills. Especially, you, who has held my back, in many a collaborative venture. :-*
<3

4/10/2015 at 11:51 AM

I just bought a book in German recommended to me by a genealogist who I respect. So I'll be hailing you soon! Thanks.

Private User
4/10/2015 at 12:04 PM

According to Justin, it is impossible that she was called Waldrade von Wormsgau as people had no surnames in those days. We had a huge debate about this already. Why has Justin not deleted her surname?

4/10/2015 at 12:13 PM

It should be deleted, and perhaps moved to the Display name. Also note that her marriage to Conrad seems to be problematic. Lots of cleanup to do for someone who has time.

Private User
4/10/2015 at 12:16 PM

Exactly, go on, delete it, so nobody can find her, so clever.

4/10/2015 at 12:26 PM

Roderick, you put those names in the "also known as " which makes her searchable.

Showing all 15 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion