Ubba / Ubbe / Hubba / Ubbi / Husto - mother's profile

Started by Alex Moes on Tuesday, September 1, 2015
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Related Projects:

Showing all 8 posts
9/1/2015 at 6:52 PM

I changed Ubbe's mother to Unnamed mother(s) of Ragnar's children today (from Aslaug).

Checking Saxo, Ubbe's mother is definitely not named but his maternal grandfather is (Esbern), so perhaps the current mother is not the best profile but i am loathe to create another NN wife for Ragnar just so that we can give Ubbe a named grandfather.

Having said that i am sure there is/was a profile for Esbern, or possibly a "daughter of Esbern" but i cannot find it now.

9/1/2015 at 11:50 PM

Someone else who has the patience to find Esbern and the documentation for Esbern can do that.

I find Saxo confusing.

9/1/2015 at 11:57 PM

Ubbas mother is not married to Ragnar. If she is to be mentioned as any she is a "frille" mistress of Ragnar.

9/2/2015 at 12:36 AM

According to Saxo:

Meanwhile Ubbe was led by his grandfather, Esbern, to conceive an unholy desire for the throne; and, casting away all thought of the reverence due to his father, he claimed the emblem of royalty for his own head.

When Ragnar heard of his arrogance from Kelther and Thorkill, the earls of Sweden, he made a hasty voyage towards Gothland. Esbern, finding that these men were attached with a singular loyalty to the side of Ragnar, tried to bribe them to desert the king. But they did not swerve from their purpose, and replied that their will depended on that of Biorn, declaring that not a single Swede would dare to do what went against his pleasure. Esbern speedily made an attempt on Biorn himself, addressing him most courteously through his envoys. Biorn said that he would never lean more to treachery than to good faith, and judged that it would be a most abominable thing to prefer the favour of an infamous brother to the love of a most righteous father. The envoys themselves he punished with hanging, because they counselled him to so grievous a crime. The Swedes, moreover, slew the rest of the train of the envoys in the same way, as a punishment for their mischievous advice. So Esbern, thinking that his secret and stealthy manoeuvres did not succeed fast enough, mustered his forces openly, and went publicly forth to war. But Iwar, the governor of Jutland, seeing no righteousness on either side of the impious conflict, avoided all unholy war by voluntary exile.

9/2/2015 at 12:43 AM

I did a Geni search for Esbern born <1000 but turned up nothing. I am sure the was a profile with "Esbern" in it's name although i think the spelling may have been different and it may have been something generic like "NN Esbern's daughter".

9/2/2015 at 1:04 AM

I have crated a profile on Esbern now. Now we just have to figure if it stays were it is or if we make an NN Esbernsdatter to be connected to Ubba.

6/2/2018 at 8:16 PM

The two sources for Ubbe Ragnarssen seem to be Saxo and the even later English histories per https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ubba#Association_with_Ragnar_Lothbrok

I propose that we disconnect the Ubbe profile, Ubbe Ragnarssen , from the saga based version of Ragnar, Ragnar "Lodbrok" Sigurdsson , and merge it into the Gesta Danorum version, Ubbe Ragnarssen

Showing all 8 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion