Dolor Davis - https://www.familytreedna.com/public/Davis/default.aspx?section=yresults

Started by Stephen Earl Davis on Tuesday, December 29, 2015
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Related Projects:

Showing all 12 posts
12/29/2015 at 3:45 PM

At first I thought I would just make an entry into Dolar's profile about the Family Tree DNA results but changed my mind about doing that, I thought it might be more constructive to open a Discussion first on the Topic and possibly make an entry based on the Discussion results. The following are my findings:

Dolar Davis 1593 Benefield Northampton England, Haplogroup: I-M253 Distribution: I-M253 occurs at greatest frequency in Scandinavia.

Nicholas DAVIS (b. abt1622, ENG; d. JUN 1672, New England I-M253 notice that Dolar was 29 when Nicholas was born I conclude threw the Haplogroup that Nicholas is Dolar's son.

Next I want to Discuss the Viking invasions of England :

During the reign of King Beorhtric of Wessex (786-802) three ships of "North men" landed at Portland Bay in Dorset. The local reeve mistook the Vikings for merchants and directed them to the nearby royal estate, but they killed him and his men.[15] The earliest recorded planned raid, on 6 January, 793,[16] was on the monastery on the island of Lindisfarne, off the east coast of England. According to the 12th century Anglo-Norman chronicler Symeon of Durham, the resident monks were killed, or thrown into the sea to drown, or carried away as slaves—along with some of the church treasures.[17] In 875, after enduring eight decades of repeated Viking raids, the monks fled Lindisfarne, carrying the relics of Saint Cuthbert with them.

In 865, a group of hitherto uncoordinated bands of predominantly Danish Vikings joined together to form a large army and landed in East Anglia. The army was described by the Anglo-Saxon Chronicle as the Great Heathen Army and was said to have been led by Ivar the Boneless, Halfdan and Guthrum.[18][19] They crossed England into Northumbria and captured York (Jorvik), where some settled as farmers. Most of the English kingdoms, being in turmoil, could not stand against the Vikings, but Alfred of Wessex defeated the Great Army at the Battle of Edington in 878. There followed the Treaty of Wedmore the same year and the Treaty of Alfred and Guthrum in 886. These treaties formalized the boundaries of their kingdoms and the Viking Danelaw territory, with provisions for peaceful relations between the English and the Vikings. Despite these treaties, conflict continued on and off. However, Alfred and his successors were eventually able to drive back the Viking frontier and retake York.[20]

A new wave of Vikings appeared in England in 947, when Erik Bloodaxe captured York.[21] The Viking presence continued through the reign of Cnut the Great (1016–1035), after which a series of inheritance arguments weakened the hold on power of Cnut's heirs.

In one instance in England, according to the Anglo-Saxon Chronicle, a small Viking fleet attacked a rich monastery at Jarrow. The Vikings were met with stronger resistance than they had expected: their leaders were killed. The raiders escaped, only to have their ships beached at Tynemouth and the crews killed by locals.[22] This was one of the last raids on England for about 40 years. The Vikings focused instead on Ireland and Scotland.

When Edward the Confessor died in 1066, his successor Harold Godwinson was challenged by the Norwegian king Harald Hardrada. Hardrada was killed, and his Norwegian army defeated, by Godwinson at the Battle of Stamford Bridge.[23] Godwinson himself was killed when the English army were defeated at the Battle of Hastings, in October 1066 by William the Conqueror. William was crowned king of England on 25 December 1066, however it was several years before he was able to bring the kingdom under his complete control.[24] The Danish king Sweyn Estridsson sailed up the Humber, in 1070, with an army in support of Edgar the Ætheling, the last male member of the English royal family. However, after capturing York, Sweyn accepted a payment from William to desert Edgar.[24][25] Five years later one of Sweyn's sons set sail for England to support another English rebellion, but it had been crushed before they arrived, so they settled for plundering the city of York and surrounding area, before returning home.[24] In 1085 Sweyn's son, now Canute IV of Denmark planned a major invasion against England but the assembled fleet never sailed. There was no serious invasion or raids of England by the Danes after this.[24]

It is important to bear in mind that not all the Norse arriving in Ireland and Great Britain came as raiders. Many arrived with families and livestock, often in the wake of the capture of territory by their forces.[26] The populations then merged over time by intermarriage into the Anglo-Saxon population of these areas.[27] Many words in the English language are from old Scandinavian languages, showing the importance of this contact.[28]

The reason why I bought up that Viking raiding expansion article was that Dolar was born in Benefield Northampton witch was in the Danelaw Area described above. This enforces the idea that Dolar's heritage was from Scandinavian Decent the same as the Haplogroup indicates.

Next I wanted to discuss is the Dolar Davis and the Edward Clark inheritance thing. This is the article I found here:

http://www.genealogy.com/ftm/l/a/c/Ellsworth-J-La-coste-/BOOK-0001/... This is the article:

Many historians have tried to trace the English ancestry of this Dolar Davis, but without success. Most historians of this family believe he came from Bennefield, but others state that he was from Marden, Kent, England. What is definitely known about this man is as follows. On 01 Nov., 1614 he inherited a house, and lands in Marden, Kent, from an Edward Clarke of East Farleigh, Kent, England. In Edward Clarke's will he listed Dolar as his servant at this time.

I discussed this article with Erica Howton and she responded with the following speculations:

Guesses so far (could be entirely wrong)

- Edward Clark is related to Dolar. It would be unusual to leave a house to an apprentice of his. You'll see that in tools "to remember me by" (and get good use of). Since the names are different obviously this would be through a female - father's sister's husband, mother's brother, like that. And since Dolar came into his inheritance at age 21, perhaps Clark died before and it was held in trust until Dolar came of age. I don't think this is related to apprenticeship / indentured servant. In practical terms indentured servants may not have married until their time was up. In Colonial America, you'd do the service, pay off your passage, and then at the end of the indenture, apply for town membership, church membership, and marry.

I want to stress that the above paragraph is strictly speculation extrapolating from the Edward Clark inheritance to Dolar Davis situation, and can not be considered as hard cold facts. The only reason why I stated it is that I want to get a discussion going on it to see where the discussion goes to see if I want to make an entry concerning an entry into Dolar profile. What would really be nice is if we can come up with Edwards will that is indicated in the article and see if it says " and to my nephew I leave etc." This inheritance is where Dolar got some money and a house and land that set him up for the rest of his life and if he was indeed an apprentice of Clark's this set up Dolar's career into being a carpenter. I figure if I can straiten out this inheritance thing from Clark I can have a bit of history on Dolar before he went to the Colonies.

Private User
12/31/2015 at 5:41 PM

Thanks for posting this information. I wonder if he is connected to my Clark/e's. I will be willing to try and find Dolar's will. I wonder if the connection is my Clarke's from Rhode Island? I think the Rev. John Clarke of Newport (previously Westhorpe) was married to the widow of Nicholas Clark.

Private User
12/31/2015 at 5:45 PM

Rev. Dr. John Clarke, of Newport married 3rd, a Sarah Walley, widow of Nicholas Davis.

1/2/2016 at 11:51 AM

General Notes: !Initial source: "Anc. of Jeremy Clark of R. I...." by A. R. Justice, which had estimated birthdate and marriage date, died 1614. Sources given by him: Visitation of Kent 1619-1621; John Philpot, Harleian XLII; Burke's History of the Commoners; Will of husband at Somerset House; Morant V. 11 pg. 17; Par. Reg. of Wrotham, Kent. The LDS Ancestral File has a death date, 13 Jul 1614, East Farleigh, Kent, Eng. It had Anna Boland as 2nd wife of James, but "Anc. of Jeremy Clarke..." says she was 1st wife of Edward Saxby.

The Above Copy paste was from the article of James Clark and his Descendants go down to Jeremy Clark of R. I. . In the note Sources are Described. I also think it is possible that Jeremy had brothers and sisters that came to the colonies with him. So James Clark is the English Connection of Jeremy's ancestry.

1/2/2016 at 3:02 PM

This is an E-mail I sent to Elizabeth Howl

I started looking at this website here and got a better understanding of what is going on there, this is the website:

http://jerryjan.com/larsenancestors/a13.html#i90536m

George Clark is the Father of James Clarke copy paste follows:

General Notes: !Initial source: "Anc. of Jeremy Clark of R. I...." by A. R. Justice,
which

gives birth, 1510, approximate marriage date, and burial date, probably
from the parish register.

"Anc. of Jeremy Clark of R. I...." says "George Clerke of Forde Hall,
Wrotham, Kent, is mentioned by Proctor (Archaeological Cantiana vol. 3)
among those who marched from Malling, Kent with Lord Abergavenny and
Sir Robert Southwell, Sheriff, to intercept Sir Henry Isley and the
Knevetts, to prevent them from joining with Wyatt at Rochester, Kent.
their object was accomplished by defeating the rebels at Blackesol Field
Wrotham, February 10, 1553/4. (Archaeological Cantiana vol. 3 pg. 180,
foot note.)
"At an Inquisition Post Mortem on George Clerke, Esq., held at East
Greenwich, October 16 1558, the jury found he was the son of James
Clerke, who died at Wrotham September 20, 1553, and that William, son
and heir of George, was aged 23 yrs. and that he had other children:
George, Reginald, Thomas, Robert, Richard, James and Elizabeth, wife of
Thomas Goodman (Genealogist, New Series, Vol. 13, p. 66)."

Notice a lot of this information comes from "Ancestry of Jeremy Clark of R. I. "
must be a lot of good info on Clark Family there.

James Clark is the son of George, Info on James follows:

James CLARKE, son of George CLARKE and Elizabeth WILSFORDE, was born about 1540 of East Farleigh, Kent, England and died before 1 Nov 1614 in East Farleigh, Kent, England.

This James Clarke also had a brother named William, who's information follows:

i. William CLARKE was born in 1535 of Forde Hall, Wrotham, Kent, England and was buried on 23 Mar 1710/11 in Wrotham, Kent, England.

Now this same James Clarke also had a son named William when James married Mary SAXBY who's information follows :

William CLARKE (born about 1572 of East Farleigh, Kent, England - buried on 12 Jun 1610 in East Farleigh, Kent, England) William married Mary WESTON on 10 Feb 1598/99 in St. Andrews, Holborn, London, England. Mary was christened on 26 Apr 1579 in Roxwell, Essex, England and died before 13 Jul 1614 in East Farleigh, Kent, England.

Children from this marriage were:

i. Weston CLARKE was christened on 24 Feb 1599/00 in East Farleigh, Kent, England and died in 1626 in St. Albans, Wood Street, London, England at age 26.

ii. William CLARKE was christened on 5 Jul 1601 in East Farleigh, Kent, England.

iii. James CLARKE 71 was christened on 31 Oct 1602 in East Farleigh, Kent, England and died from 1647 to 1649 at age 45.

iv. Essex CLARKE 71 was christened on 4 Dec 1603 in East Farleigh, Kent, England.

v. George CLARKE 71 was christened on 2 Dec 1604 in East Farleigh, Kent, England.

Notice that Weston is the Oldest and he got the bulk of the inheritance From James while his brothers got this," he paying to his brethren, to every one of them 100 pounds according to my last will for otherwise I know not how they shall be paid."

I did some adding and subtracting on age difference so I am going to list that next:

Dolar as born in 1593 and was 17 when William died and 21 when James died. James was 53 when Dolar was born James was 74 when he died. William was 21 when Dolar was born, while William was 42 when his father James died. Dolar was 21 at age of James death while Weston was 6 years older then Dolar was. Weston died in 1626 at age 26 in London William died in 1610 and James the father died in 1614 . Weston was only to keep his inheritance for 12 years cause he died 12 years after 1614 in 1626.

So this is where the Confusing part come into Play here. What I see printed at that website is James will with Dolar in it. I see sited at some websites that William has Dolar in his will but here I see Dolar in James will. Now William died before James did, is Dolar in both Wills? James never mentions William in his will because William is all ready dead. Another possibility is maybe James will was trying to encompass or explain Williams will? Or maybe James was still holding onto the land after William died and finally gave it to Dolar as William wanted to upon James Death? All I got here in my research is James will I am wondering if William had a separate will or if some how Williams will was incorporated into James will? There is a 4 year difference in James dyeing and William Dyeing.

1/25/2019 at 1:57 PM

Greetings Stephen and Christine! ...I am a direct descendant of Nicholas Davis, Quaker, of Barnstable, MA (b. say 1622, ENG-1672, Newport, RI).

I have been in the process (for over 22 years now!) of writing a 'non-fiction historical drama" book (and hopefully a movie series) based upon Nicholas and his Davis descendants' fascinating lives.

I believe that I can shed some light on the CLARKE and DAVIS families for you. (I am at work right now, so please forgive my "recalling from memory" right now, as my source materials are filed away at my home.)

First, it is most likely that Nicholas was Dolar's nephew (or possibly his Cousin), and definitely not Dolar's son.

Fact: Nicholas & Jeremy CLARKE appear together in Rhode Island records as among the first settlers in the Newport area in 1638-39. [Note: Ann Hutchinson & Mary Dyer (Quaker) resided in this area at this time.]

Fact: Jeremy CLARKE was a nephew of the James CLARKE, who devised his estate to Dolar Davis in 1614.

Reasonable Speculation: Nicholas & Jeremy met each other on this estate, probably working on the huge "hops" growing farm there.

Fact: Dr. John Clarke of Newport, RI, married Nicholas' widow, Sarah (Ewer) Blossom DAVIS in 1676, and he mentions all of Nicholas' children in his Will. Dr. Clarke is related to Jeremy CLARKE.

Reasonable Conclusion: Nicholas was in contact with the CLARKE families of Newport, RI all of his life.

RE: The Will of James Clarke in 1614: Some people interpret ..."Dolor Davis my servant..." to mean that Dolor was a carpenter's apprentice; others interpret it to mean that James gave Dolor his personal servant to become Dolor's servant.

Let me know of you have any thoughts, comments, or questions.

...Dr. Frank "Mike" Davis, Cincinnati, OH

1/25/2019 at 2:25 PM

From http://homepages.rpi.edu/~holmes/Hobbies/Genealogy2/ps13/ps13_488.htm

Named in the 1614 will of James Clarke of East Farleigh, Kent Co., England, as Clarke's servant. He inherited a house and lands in the parish of Marden, Kent, so he was apparently a "servant" of high rank.

Dolor arrived in America about 1634 and was initially at Cambridge in the summer of 1634, along with Simon Willard, his wife's brother. The "Willard Memoir" indicates that Dolor likely immigrated in the same fleet as Simon & Margery Willard, ....

——

This is a pretty well connected carpenter ! Makes me wonder how he got to hang with the rich folks m.

1/25/2019 at 2:26 PM

Ok - one answer.

From http://homepages.rpi.edu/~holmes/Hobbies/Genealogy2/ps13/ps13_489.htm

After the death of her father and step-mother in 1617, Margery Willard likely went to live in East Farleigh with a relative or a family friend. It's there she met Dolor Davis, servant in the house of James Clarke of East Farleigh, and where they married.

Refs: NEHGS "Register," Vol 42, pg. 285 & "The Willard Genealogy," Charles Henry Pope, 1915 & "Willard Memoir," Joseph Willard, 1858 & NEHGS "Register,' Vol 36, pg. 320 & "The Willard Genealogy," Charles Henry Pope, 1915.

1/25/2019 at 2:33 PM

(Just adding more references to review)

https://www.accessgenealogy.com/massachusetts/dolor-davis-family.htm

Here’s James Clarke’s will with inconsistent use of commas creating ambiguity

https://books.google.com/books?id=FA8ALY0ZtYYC&pg=PA118&lpg...

The New England Historical and Genealogical Register, 1896
By Nehgs, New-England Historic Page 118

1/25/2019 at 2:37 PM

Anderson’s Great Migration sketch is here:

https://wc.rootsweb.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?op=GET&db=branagak&...

1/26/2019 at 8:56 AM

Erica,

Thank you so much for your responses and for your source listings! ...Mike

1/26/2022 at 4:04 PM

Greetings All!

After 25 years of researching, I've finally been able to publish the latest results for Dolor & Margery (Willard) Davis, my ancestral "cousins", and for my 8th great-grandparents, Nicholas & Sara (Ewer) Blossom DAVIS Clarke Walley.

These new findings will allow you to make your DAVIS trees as accurate as possible. (They actually "update" some of my previous comments, above.)

If interested, here are the links to instantly download 4 research papers/ebooks that include copious footnotes and sources:

1) “GENEALOGIES of DOLOR and MARGERY (WILLARD) DAVIS: NEW RESEARCH RESULTS”

Available for Instant Downloading at:
https://play.google.com/store/books/details/Dr_Frank_Mike_Davis_GEN...
----------------------------------------------------

2) “BIOGRAPHY of NICHOLAS DAVIS (d. 1672, RI): WITH NEW DISCOVERIES & ENDNOTES”

https://play.google.com/store/books/details/Dr_Frank_Mike_Davis_BIO...
------------------------------------------------------
3) The Biography of Sarah (Ewer) Blossom Davis Clarke Walley (1629, ENG-1692, Bristol, MA)
[2nd, Updated Edition]

https://play.google.com/store/books/details/Dr_Frank_Mike_Davis_The...

---------------------------------------------------------------------
4) Children of Nicholas Davis (d. 1672, Newport, RI) & Sarah (Ewer) Blossom (d. 1692, Bristol, RI)

https://play.google.com/store/books/details?id=niBaEAAAQBAJ&rdi...
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Kind regards,

Dr. Frank "Mike" Davis

Showing all 12 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion