Catharina van Malabar, SM/PROG - DNA: U2c or N21?

Started by Sharon Doubell on Tuesday, January 12, 2016
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Related Projects:

Showing 91-120 of 120 posts

That's very interesting! Thankyou. Do you want to put it on the project, or shall I?
Does seem to make it very likely that Catharina is U2c1.

Descendants of Catharina va Malabar Project created: https://www.geni.com/projects/Descendants-of-Catharina-van-Malabar/...
All welcome to join and contribute to text.

Em Lo en Jaco Strauss en Private User

Please see this discussion. Marietjie du Plessis these three people is the people of the Dutch DNA group and could be very helpful to you.

Judi

Catharina of Malabar's predicted mtDNA is U2c1 and her daughter Cornelia's predicted mtDNA is N21.

What is one to make of Cornelia's baptismal record? Has anyone got the original record??? - not the transcription i.e.

"Den 18 Novembr [1692] een dochtertje van Cornelis Claasz en Catharina van Malbaar
gedoopte swartinne wiert genaamt Cornelia"

Questions I ponder - Whose baby was she?? Why would Claas acknowledge her as his? There were several Catharinas at the Cape. Could not 2 of them be conflated?

Those are the questions, indeed ... :-/

My (paternal) second great grandmother Clarisse Geertruida Viljoen's profile has had u2c1 propagated to her from a "Private User". Her line leads back to Arriantjie Van Cathrijn (Gabrielsz), SM through Geertruyd Boshouwer, SM.

I've managed today to connect my first cousin, twice removed Sarel Johannes Corrie to Catharina van Malabar through Arriantjie Van Cathrijn (Gabrielsz), SM through Gerbrecht Boshouwer, SM through HIS mother i.e. different line to mine (above). Sarel has a Y-DNA and autosomal DNA test pending; no mtDNA unfortunately. If anyone wants to sponsor one, I'm sure he'd be interested.

The "better news" is that Sarel's sister has three daughters of Anna Petronella Barrett who could supply mtDNA samples to verify. The amazing thing is Sarel's mother and paternal grandmother would have had the same mtDNA as they were descendants of two daughters of Arriantjie van Cathrijn.

:-)

I am testing too :-), My mtDNA kit has just arrived back at FamilyTreeDNA and I am now waiting for results.

Hanri Conradie (nee Bosman ...thats me)
Maria Elizabeth du Preez (mother)
Maria Elizabeth Kruger (grandmother)
Elizabeth Frederika Aletta Steyn (1st great grandmother)
Wilhelmina Catharina Francina Venter, 1st Wife (2nd great grandmother)
Wilhelmina Catharina Francina Venter, b5c12d13 (3rd great grandmother)
Anna Maria van der Walt, a1b6 (4th great grandmother)
Johanna Weyers, b3 SM (5th great grandmother)
Anna Elizabeth Gerrits, b3 SM (6th great grandmother)
Elsie Speldenberg, b1 SM (7th great grandmother)
Arriantjie Boshouwer, SM (8th great grandmother)
her mother was....? Isabella of Angola or Catharine of Malabar? (9th great grandmother)

So great!

U2c1 - confirmed for me with FamilyTreeDNA

Hanri Conradie (nee Bosman ...thats me)
Maria Elizabeth du Preez (mother)
Maria Elizabeth Kruger (grandmother)
Elizabeth Frederika Aletta Steyn (1st great grandmother)
Wilhelmina Catharina Francina Venter, 1st Wife (2nd great grandmother)
Wilhelmina Catharina Francina Venter, b5c12d13 (3rd great grandmother)
Anna Maria van der Walt, a1b6 (4th great grandmother)
Johanna Weyers, b3 SM (5th great grandmother)
Anna Elizabeth Gerrits, b3 SM (6th great grandmother)
Elsie Speldenberg, b1 SM (7th great grandmother)
Arriantjie Boshouwer, SM (8th great grandmother)
Catharine of Malabar? (9th great grandmother)

Yaaay. Congrats cousin :-) I've added your DNA result to her entry on the mtDNA Project. Thank you for helping us confirm this. You're a star!

Hi dear all: Is the following at all applicable here:
Catharina is Catharina van Malabar, SM/PROG is my 7th great grandmother.
You
→ Joseph Philippus Greyling (Seph)
your father → Frans Eduard Greyling
his father → Martha Elizabeth Greyling (born Prins)
his mother → Geertruida Johanna Maria Alexandrina Prins (born Kaltwasser)
her mother → Susanna Elizabeth Sophina Kaltwasser (born van Locherenberg)
her mother → Nicolaas van Locherenberg, B2
her father → Gerbrecht Boshouwer, SM
his mother → Arriantjie Gabrielsz, SM
her mother → Catharina van Malabar, SM/PROG
her mother

My Dad - Joseph Philippus Greyling's mtdna came back as: U2c1.
What does this mean / not mean to the discussion?
Thanks Wilma.

Hi Wilma.
mtDNA is passed on by a mother to all her children, but only her daughters pass it on.
So y our Dad's mtDNA is not from Catharina van Malabar, but from his mother to her mother and so on back on an all female line to: Maria Jacobs van Batavia, SM/PROG. It isn't pertinent to this discussion.
Also, your Dad's mtDNA is U2b not U2c1 :-)

I'm going to add it to the mtDNA project - thank you! :-)

Thanks for the add Sharon :-)

Pleasure :-)

Oops ....... I did it again - yes of course! Sorry. Blonde moment x 2! Please forgive.

;-)

mtDNA is passed on by a mother to all her children, but only her daughters pass it on, so the only lines that validate Catharina's mtDNA go through women only to the person being tested.

On the question of testing your DNA for genealogy - I haven't regretted it. Autosomal DNA is cheapest and most useful for genealogy. FTDNA, My Heritage and 23 & me all do tests.
mtDNA helps us confirm direct lines- but only those along mother to mother pathways.

Thank you Sharon. I knew nothing about my dad's family as he had kept it secret. I will go ahead and do a test anyway and see what comes up.

Remember, that if you want your Dad's Y as well as your mother's mtDNA - your brother is the one who carries both.

On autosomal DNA, test yourself though - unless your parents are alive and you can test both of them - then do them first.

Once you have a result (expect to wait months for it) you can upload atDNA free to FTDNA - and from there to Geni; and free to Gedmatch - which is a fantastic way to compare with the world.
There is also an SA users DNA facebook page that narrows your Gedmatchs down to all the people on the page. Because of our hugely inbred pool of White SouthAfricans and original bottleneck population, this produces lots of interesting connections to help you with your family tree.

Thanks again, its very unlikely that my brother would allow himself to be tested so I’ll just have to do my own. Pity!

something with the men in your family ;-)

I'm making Cornelia Cornelisse Claassen, SM the adopted daughter of Catharina van Malabar.

Sharon the third baptism entry on this record - https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3QS7-89ML-49TT-B?i=9 - clearly says the father is Cornelis Claas(en) and Catharina van Malabar. How does she become the adopted daughter of Catharina van Malabar?
N21-T195C appears to be the mtDNA belonging to Catharina van de Caap who partnered Jacob Friedrich Neethling/Nothling/Neulink from Germany. I appear to have a direct maternal line to her through the documents I have traced. My link to Cornelia Cornelisse (Claasen) Pyl though direct is not strictly maternal

Sorry Charlette Louise Hoppe, I dropped the ball here. Meant to come back and didn't :-/

Thanks for catching that. I'll fix it right away.
(I've just been in Jakarta (Batavia) to visit the place in the VOC square from where she would likely have been deported as a slave - so I'm really trying to get a coherent story out of her About right now.)

Lucky you. Sounds intriguing.

Showing 91-120 of 120 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion