Nominations for Geni Special Collection designation

Started by Erica Howton on Friday, February 19, 2016
Showing all 10 posts
2/19/2016 at 11:46 AM

I was thinking of a form, filled out online, uploaded to the project, reviewed in discussion. yay / nay vote. What questions should be included?

2/19/2016 at 1:56 PM

some things that come to my mind, to get us started:

What is unique about this project?
What are the criteria for a profile's inclusion?
How does this project serve the larger community?
What kinds of sources have been included in the front matter?

2/19/2016 at 1:59 PM

Oh, and:

Are there special problems in documentation, or false lineages, etc., that this project helps address?

2/19/2016 at 3:51 PM

Nice!

How about:

- what is your proposed source and how will collaborators access that data?

- What are the profile criteria for project inclusion?

- What is the expected end result? Does the project have a natural termination, or is it ongoing ?

2/20/2016 at 6:06 AM

I can't help wondering what criteria people will use to decide a project is not up to being considered a 'special collection'. If a 'special collection' is not a badge of excellence then you could consider almost any project couldn't you?
Also, how will collections of projects be handled? Historic Buildings, 1918 Influenza, Counties of England, etc etc.

2/20/2016 at 7:09 AM

A nomination question:

- does your project have or could it obtain an endorsement from an outside Geni entity: for example, an archive, family association, library, museum, DNA project administrator, author, scholar ...

- Would they be willing to sign the project overview page with the wording:

I endorse this project (Geni ID) (date stamp) (link to their home page or similar)

2/20/2016 at 7:14 AM

Terry -

- Project uniqueness is important to earn a Special Collection designation. It should not be recycled material that can be easily found elsewhere, nor is it a unique grouping.

- Place projects do not seem an automatic fit to me. Caveat: cemetery projects could be.

- the epidemic projects, however, could be, but not the first that come to mind.

- ultimately Special Collection designation is a vote. So let's keep this thread focused on nomination questions.

2/20/2016 at 8:36 AM

A helpful criterion for acceptance as Special Collection designation would be certainty that every "About" in the profiles of individuals has logical flow and no duplication of information.

2/20/2016 at 10:50 AM

William Arthur Allen I'm thinking about the comment about filling out the profile "about."

I'm someone who dislikes an empty overview. It makes me feel ... is there really nothing to say about this person who lived and died? Really?

But that could be a "result" of working through a project, as defined in project scope & instructions in the project "about."

For your project, the overview notes are immensely useful, and part of populating the tree & project.

For the Plantagenet ancestry project, adding the citation and vetting the line back to Royalty is the defined scope, not biography writing.

So maybe we need companion projects for bios ....

Showing all 10 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion