Charlemagne - the sword, what about the sword?

Started by Kazimierz of Rús on Sunday, April 3, 2016
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Related Projects:

Showing 1-30 of 65 posts
4/3/2016 at 5:13 PM

somebody forgot to mention his mighty sword, Joyeuse. grandpa Karolus bequeathed it to his 38th grandson, namely me. so hand it over or better yet, move me to it. merci

Private User
4/3/2016 at 6:03 PM

Joyeuse are displayed in the Louvre, Paris, France. Here's a guide...
https://www.google.se/maps/place/Louvre+Museum/@48.8606111,2.337644...
Voilà, une photo!
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joyeuse#/media/File:Ep%C3%A9e_Joyeuse...

But Geni marks him as my 32nd great grandfather so I guess you have to stand in line. ; )

4/3/2016 at 8:04 PM

No, I distinctly remember hearing that great-grandpappy Charlie (x34) wanted it to be passed down to one of his female descendents. I volunteer!

4/3/2016 at 10:27 PM

:-)

Private
4/4/2016 at 9:23 AM

What can you do with a sword these days? Cut the cake? Swing it?

Private User
4/4/2016 at 10:04 AM

Dad comes in at the kids birthday party, lift his sword and cuts the cake, and the table with one blow, making a total mess when everything falls down on the floor, kids crying, wife yelling, he realized his mistake at once and should have left his sword just hanging on the wall.

4/4/2016 at 5:11 PM

as his 31st great grand daughter i can see the only fair thing is to have a lottery and take turns - but with all his grand kids we can each only hold it a moment

Private User
4/4/2016 at 5:56 PM

Knock yourself out, Arrows. I'd take a brand new Ulfberht over Joyeuse any day. In line with Ulf Ingvar Gote Martinsson to hold it for one brief moment, as Angela suggested - if going by descendancy, or my own Ulfbeherht? No contest. I did enjoy Ulf's birthday cake cutting description. Sounds fun. Don't put it on the wall, John Belushi had Samurai Delicatessen, Ulf can have Emperor Bakery. ;)

Private User
4/4/2016 at 8:29 PM

Don't hold your breath. If all his descendents claim it you'll have to fight with everyone on the planet. Or according to legend at least everyone of European descent. So, since I'm another 31st great grandchild, I say "dibs" on spot 653,267,882 in line. That MIGHT get me to it before the world ends.

4/4/2016 at 8:46 PM

Would we get extra time if we're descended through multiple children? Or would you get to go up the list? Hmmm, things to ponder.

4/5/2016 at 7:07 AM

While we are all gathered here, I a descendent and have a granddaughter who has a fatal genetic disease, FANCONI Anemia. I am wondering if any other relative has that disease. You would never be tested for it as a child, but if your parents each had the gene, you would be a carrier or have the disease. My other grandchildren are carriers of FA. I am just curious. e

4/5/2016 at 2:06 PM

Put my name in the lottery. He is my 39th gr-grandfather.

Private User
4/5/2016 at 3:37 PM

If the current theory is correct, that everyone today is descended from Charlemagne, then he would be a great grandfather to every one of us. Probably somewhere between 29th and 39th g-gf. Are any of you just cousins? If so, congratulations, you're rare, and you've disproved the theory. Or you just haven't got your tree on straight.

4/5/2016 at 6:18 PM

what a progenitorous grandpappy! when i get my turn i am going to attempt to rift the space-time continuum and reverse global warming. until then, has Legbiter been claimed?

Private User
4/6/2016 at 4:29 PM

Barbara Smith, I knew a boy who had Fanconi Anemia, if my memory is correct of what he had. I do not know his ancestry, but his father's surname is of English origin. I don't know his mother's maiden name.

4/8/2016 at 6:25 PM

Okay, I'm also a Charlemagne great grandchild, looks like 31st is popular number tonight. Is he really on everyone's ancestry tree? Um?

4/8/2016 at 7:21 PM

He is suppose to be my 33rd G. Grandfather. Never heard of the legend of the sword though. Which wife or partner is your grandparent? Mine, according to the Geni relationship path is Hildegard Von Vinzgouw.

Private User
4/8/2016 at 8:22 PM

I thought I would join in on the family discussion....Charlemagne is your 36th great grandfather. =)

Private User
4/8/2016 at 8:27 PM

To find out the first two, it's easy, for the rest I had to use the green pin and compare to my father.

Charlemagne is your 32nd great grandfather.

"Pépin" Carloman, King of Italy is your 31st great grandfather.
Pépin, king of Italy

Martinsson is Charles 'the Younger', King of the Franks' 36th great grandson.
Charles 'the Younger', King of the Franks

Martinsson is Berta's 34th great grandson.
Berta

Martinsson is Louis I, The Pious' 30th great grandson.
Louis I, The Pious

Martinsson is Hugo, Archchancellor of the Empire's 30th great grandson.
Hugo, Archchancellor of the Empire

his brother...
Martinsson is Carloman I, King of the Franks' 31st great grandson.
Carloman I, King of the Franks

Private User
4/8/2016 at 8:33 PM

okay, didn't see the other ones....William "Longsword" is my 30th great grandfather.

Private User
4/9/2016 at 7:51 AM

Rev. Deacon Laura J. Kelson, yes, it is not surprising that Charlemagne is on just about everyone's tree that is of European descent.

http://phenomena.nationalgeographic.com/2013/05/07/charlemagnes-dna...

Private User
4/9/2016 at 8:35 AM

Even geni.com isn't calculating consequently, one day Charlemagne is my x-th great uncle, next day to my surprise I'm his far grandchild.

4/9/2016 at 9:08 AM

Awesome insight! thanks for sharing!

Private User
4/9/2016 at 11:10 AM

One of the problems with the mathematical proof that we all have a common ancestor within the last 2000 years is that people now as well as back then don't act according to mathematics. They make choices based on their own likes and dislikes, and the circumstances of their lives, rather than randomly choosing a mate from the general population of the world.The isolation of groups of people, the caste system of many societies, the inbreeding of ruling classes, wars and famines and plagues that decreased the surviving populations, etc, all decrease the chance we have a common ancestry.

The first rule of genealogy is "examine and know your sources". There are no sources in the mathematical structure. There is no wishful thinking in genealogy. Trees have been fudged and compromised to an incredibly large degree.

This is not to say that those of us here don't have this common ancestor. If we traced our tree up to here, we all were able to trace our roots back about 16 or 17 generations, To be able to do that we have to have a tree showing we descended from royalty or the ruling classes, as they were the only classes to have kept records back then. As an example, my father's pedigree only goes back to the 1800's. He was descended from German peasants for whom there are no records earlier than that.

My mother, on the other hand, descended from English royalty, which I had tracked long before internet sites allowed one to create a tree that wasn't primarily based on reliable sources. As royals and ruling classes intermarried in their own class, generally not with the "common folk" it is not surprising that we have common ancestors.

Again, this doesn't mean the common folk don't have royal ancestors, given the human race's history of rape and pillage and illegitimate mating with whoever, including servants and slaves. Without sources it's not possible to prove one way or the other.

4/9/2016 at 12:21 PM

R. van Oeveren, I have had the same results with the Geni relationship paths. I have a few screen shots that show so & so was a grandparent and then a few months later, we are 9th cousins :-)

4/9/2016 at 1:59 PM

i know what you mean mary- it happens to me all the time-when you consider a dozen or two children in multiple consecutive generations-numerous partners and spouses, cousins marrying in order to keep property and titles, multiplied by circumstances and what not - and not very long ago either i am related to dang near everyone! and the relationship fluctuates too! i found out recently my late sisters first husband is our fourth cousin-they didnt have children but it explains why the did not last as a couple

4/9/2016 at 5:39 PM

Angela, when people add people to trees and merge trees, it can change the whole relationship paths. I have found several errors and contact a curator to fix it. People get taken out, new people put in etc...

As Abbie said, proper source citations. I see a lot of *Smart Matches, which really is no different than copying someone elses tree. IF all those smart matches are not that smart, then you are just adding more errors to the tree.

I have seen a father that was 200 years older than the son. So I have to ask who is paying attention when these merges are being made? I have no doubt that I can ever prove a true path to Charlemagne, but it is kind of fun until it is disproved.

Private User
4/9/2016 at 6:14 PM

Private User

"all decrease the chance we have a common ancestry. "

You probably miss wrote something, if you decrease any population, it actually increases the possibility for the future offspring to be related in those affected areas because of fewer people to choose among! It's called, population bottleneck. At the other hand, at such event, it's likely that some family lines were totally wiped out.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Population_bottleneck

Showing 1-30 of 65 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion