DNA Integration Superthread

Started by Mike Stangel on Thursday, June 30, 2016
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Related Projects:

Showing 121-150 of 1386 posts

Harvey Morris Kabaker if you're in Israel we must hide the DNA features due to the laws in that country. (same for France, Poland and the state of Alaska, for anyone else having problems seeing the DNA tab on profiles)

Mike Stangel - I sent you a PM with the link. Will be interested to know what you discover.

@Mike Stangel, you guessed it; I'm in Israel this week. Seems ironic I can't see DNA data while I'm attending the Founder Populations meeting.

there is need for certain improvements to make it usable:
1. Sorting and/or filtering for list of matches by largest segment, by total, by date, by name, by geography

2. there should be some way to "override" warnings.
I have two first cousins who have 5 markers difference on Y-111. However autosomal and analysis of SNPs from Big-Y supports them being first cousins, even though having 5 markers difference is highly unusual (about 1% probability).
I should be able somehow to put note and get rid of the warning, that Y-111 results are conflicting.
3.I didn't upload for several relatives because they don't want this to be available to anybody but selected group of people.
It is not clear at all how exactly selective access could be set up

The 23andme raw data contains mt- and Y- as well. Why aren't they used as well?

It turns out, the reason my relative was not showing was because he had unlinked.

However, when I asked earlier in this Discussion "What does unlinking the accounts do? And/or alternatively -- What does leaving them linked do?"
Mike had answered -- "Linking your account is what gives FTDNA permission to access your profile in order to transfer your DNA data. If you unlink your account (i.e. de-authorize the FTDNA Connector app) then they will not be able to push us any updates (if any) to your DNA test results. Leaving it linked allows them to update us if you take additional tests or if they re-interpret the tests you've already taken." ( https://www.geni.com/discussions/157595?msg=1094682 )

- Nothing in that about folks who link/upload/connect after you unlink not being matched to you.

What is more -- apparently FTDNA is not transferring your DNA data - or that transfer is currently not being used - instead what is happening is FTDNA linking and then checking to see which of the other linked kits are matches.

Is FTDNA actually providing DNA info to Geni, so eventually Geni will do its own matching, or ??

It tells us Linking gives FTDNA access to our Profile Photo and all of our Tree, etc. - has FTDNA agreed not to use that info, or could we discover that FTDNA has uploaded our Profile Photo on Geni to our Profile on FTDNA and/or uploaded / created Tree information for FTDNA from our Tree on Geni or ??

And - should we also worry - How many staff at FTDNA have access to all our information on Geni while we are linked?

On a separate topic -- It would be nice to be able to turn off/remove reports of new DNA Matches in our Newsfeed.

[[3957905918800051886 - Take a closer look in the notifications section of your account settings.

Newsfeed is not affected by Notifications Settings.
It is controlled by the "Filter Newsfeed" pop-up box on your Home Page

My guess - the reason Mike has not answered any of the questions I asked in my 2 posts on 7/13 or my wish posted on 7/14 -- he is probably working like crazy trying to Program the analysis and matching of the DNA from Ancestry and 23andMe so folks who uploaded their DNA from those sites can start to see results.

(He said to expect that to be weeks - so a big project!! - and he knows lots of folks are eagerly awaiting it. So I know he's working super-hard on it!!)

I have several Kings and Queens shown as my great grand parents. Is there a way to verify if this information is true? Will the DNA test verify this information?
Rudolf I, King of the Germans, Count of Habsburg William "the Conqueror", king of England Charlemagne William, Prince of Wales

Sorry if this has already been covered but I can't find a way to search discussion threads:
Is there any way for yDNA results to show the "better" of two haplogroupsif you didn't delete the ySearch link/dna that had been pre-loaded before uploading the current info from FTDNA?
Or to subsequently delete/unlink the ySearch version?
Or to even find all the ySearch results that were uploaded?
I'm finding a heap of Private pedigrees that belong to kits from ySearch but have no easy way of finding them all to correct/link given ySearch is completely non functional as far as being able to send an email to the kit holder is concerned, even where most were loaded with one or other of my own email addresses.

Tammy Lee Winebrenner you are my 19th cousin once removed. That means you are part of the Spencer family out of England. They are a royal family, Princess Di for one. You may also find Popes, they had families back then. So believe it when you come across these Kings and Queens in your history. Remember back in those days the children were used as pawns to reinforce kingdoms and status. I found people from almost all the countries in Europe (including Spain and Portugal)

Tammy Lee zu Hone - on kings and queens showing up in your direct ancestry -- this is far enough back in history that autosomal DNA won't reflect this ancestry is my guess.

As for verifying, what I do is go back profile by profile seeing if there are PRIMARY sources or very reliable secondary sources for each profile and the connection to the parents. Take a look at whether the profile is curated, whether the Overview (About) shows some research and cites primary sources. There are some decent sources for the Plantagenet family.

I ignore more "celebrity" ancestors unless they are a well documented Anglo-Norman family line connected to my mother in a very direct and verifiable way. Here's an example of craziness -- for a lark I clicked on King David and it showed that he was my whatever great grandfather through my non-Jewish mother, not through my father whose family has a large number of rabbinical lines. While some of the early Medieval or earlier Jewish - Christian nobility marriages might be factual, I dismiss them all as myth.

Some of the lines are well curated and you might write the curator and ask them.

http://www.senseaboutscience.org/data/files/resources/119/Sense-Abo...

When 'you' read it, you should know you can't measure our relationship for sure on common DNA. I know I will not spend any money on it!

It depends on exactly what you want to know. In general terms you can find out who belongs to which paternal (if male) or maternal line, which still won't tell you exactly how you are related (if you are). You can also find out that your surname does not mean you are related to the Famous Ancestor you are looking for - chances are you're not.

Anything else, it's a crapshoot.

DNA is part of the "reasonably exhaustive search" required by modern standards of proof.

Interesting article by Judy Russell, writing for the Board for Certification of Genealogists here:
http://www.bcgcertification.org/skillbuilders/skbld141.html

The author says, in part, "If one or both of my candidates refuses to test, I am in the same position as when I must construct a proof argument without the benefits of all the records I might like to have. Just as I might look to deeds when probate records do not exist, or to census records when vital records do not exist, I must find alternatives when this tool from the methodology toolbox is unavailable."

Barbara Jean TWEDT Great to meet you cousin!
Thanks for the responses! This information is all so interesting!

I'm noticing atDNA matches that don't belong to me and believe I know what caused that but shouldn't have.
When I connected up a cousin's kit ?yesterday? from the FTDNA end, it loaded to my profile instead of the open profile on Geni.
I disconnected it straight away and reconnected it from the correct profile starting at the Geni side , logged in to (as it already was), to the correct FTDNA kit.
But now my match list shows my cousin's matches.
As a 3rd cousin, and admin of his kit I know that these matches are to another side of his family than I share so should only show on his profile, not mine.

I am finding that I am getting DNA Matches, That when I Click on their Profile, I'Geni says there is no path to this person...Why is this, if DNA is connecting us ? TY

This means that the person hasn't entered enough of his/her family to connect to the Big Tree yet. We know you're related (because of the DNA), but we don't know how.

Thank You Harald ! Clears it up a bunch....Regards, Art

Lorna Henderson, PY346656C1 you've encountered a common problem, which is that initiating the link from the FTDNA web site will always put the DNA on your profile; in order to get it onto a relative's profile, you have to initiate it from their Geni profile on the DNA tab. As of right now the kit associated with your profile is NOT the same one that you linked on June 30th, so it seems likely that you still have your cousin's kit. Here's what I recommend:

For your kit / Geni profile:
1. Go to https://www.familytreedna.com/ and make sure you're logged out
2. Go to https://www.familytreedna.com/my/partner-applications and log into FTDNA with your kit
3. Link that account [to your profile], then LOG OUT of Family Tree DNA again

For your cousin's kit / Geni profile:
4. Go to your cousin's profile on Geni, and on the DNA tab click the link in the first green box that says, "transfer those DNA results from Family Tree DNA to Geni"
5. If you logged out in Step 3, then you'll be asked to log in again -- log in with your cousin's kit
6. Link that kit to Geni

Let me know if you still have problems....

Thanks Mike Stangel.
What's on my profile seems to be a mixture.
I've yDNA (interesting ! as I'm female) but my atDNA matches include my cousins that are my expected matches, not matches to the mixed up kit/cousin, as well as the cousin's matches.
So obviously disconnecting does NOT delete from Geni.

When I do step 3 in your list I'm shown as connected no option to link, and if I choose visit site it takes me to my geni profile.

For my cousin, his atDNA matches include the expected ones, but for his YDNA it is only showing his ysearch 'I1' haplogroup, not the I-M253 I show from this mishap of connecting his dna to me.
Anything you want to check before I delete the lot on both and start again?

Lorna Henderson, PY346656C1 go ahead and just delete both sets of data (using the "you may remove these results" link on the Geni profile DNA tab) and then link them again. Sorry this is such a hassle! I'm working on a new authorization page that will confirm whose profile you want to post the DNA to.

Mike Stangel
I could lose patience here Mike.
I've deleted and relinked my own kit.
Now all my existing atDNA cousin close relative only matches are showing DNA Conflict error messages.
How far do I have to do this delete/ reconnect - I did quite a few loads!!! All bar the problem one correctly from the Geni end.
If I click on the View conflict I just get taken to a list of the people concerned and look like i'm being asked for the email addresses.

Mike Stangel
Further to the "dna conflict"
if I look at my atDNA full match list, the close relatives no longer show at all, only the more distant ones and a heap of 7/8//9cm "matches" I'd rather be able to (optionally) filter out of the view by longest segment size.

Why do I receive DNA results that say Private and then last name. What is the purpose of giving me this "no" information?

In the case of profiles with "Contact DNA manager" listed, the "Contact DNA manager" brings you to the record on YSearch / MItoSearch, from which you can contact the manager, or look at other information stored on those sites.

Showing 121-150 of 1386 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion