Geertruij Willemsz, SM/PROG - Geertruij Willemsz - mtDNA Propagation

Started by Private User on Saturday, July 16, 2016
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Showing all 6 posts

Out of curiosity, why is there no mtDNA haplotype listed for Geertruij Willemsz?

My mother is a direct matrilineal descendant of Geertruij Willemsz and I've had my mtDNA sequenced.

Why hasn't this propagated to Geertruij Willemsz or her daughter Maria Helm? Or Maria's daughter Johanna Pietersz?

It has propagated to Johanna Pietersz daughter Maria Christina De Nys:
Maria Christina Visagie

That's a question for Customer Service or Mike Stangel. I think the answer is that they're only propagating back for so many generations,

This was my question to them:
"How many generations is geni extrapolating mtDNA over?
If the mutation rate is as big as every 10 000 yrs or - on genealogical trees - as small as every 25 to 40 generations (about 500 to 800 yrs), that's still way more than the only 10? generations geni seems to propagating it up the tree.

I ask because the geni propagated mtDNA is falling just short of a number of the South African Progenitor profiles whose mtDNA haplogroups we have been trying to collect for some years now: https://www.geni.com/projects/South-African-mtDNA-Female-Progenitor...

The oldest of these women is likely to be born in about 1640: Krotoa 'Eva' van Meerhof SM/PROG - which is definitely under the most conservative estimate of 500 years."

From the "super integration" discussion etc. My understanding is that in the future Geni may indeed extend the propagation, but as this is two weeks out of the box only, the cap is currently 10 gens.

Patience!

Strange thing though is that (in my wife's case) her mtDNA seems to have propagated all the way to Engeltje Cornelisz van der Bout's profile.

Could the missing link be:
Johanna Pietersz de Nys

Is there something the profile manager needs to do to allow propagation or is it automatic? What if there are conflicting haplogroups etc?

Just checked, Johanna Pietersz de Nys is the 11th generation i.e. if there is a 10 generation propagation limit, that'd explain why it stops at Maria Christina Visagie.

Ah that solves it then. We'll just have to get Erica to send us Patience Mantras while we wait :-)

Showing all 6 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion