Andrew Linn Lynn of Scotland a/k/a " 'Linn;Leynn;Lynn;', 'Laird of Loch Lynn' "

Started by Loretta Ann Layman on Sunday, July 24, 2016
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Showing 31-60 of 69 posts

The writer of the Bygdebok for Stadsbygd has used his sources well. He has used the norwegian tax-books from the 16th and 17th century and has found that Jon Ellingsen used half of the farm for four years in between 1612 and 1620 before he inherited the farm Lein from his father. This is written on page 353 in Stadbygd bydebook no. 2. which is scanned and readable for norwegian ip-addresses at our national library's online service www.nb.no

To bad book one isn't scanned yet since the information about the Lein farm would be written there.

As I have said before, all the fantasy trees on Geni are making Geni frowned upon by genealogists, so it is making Geni look bad.

I'm very encouraged to find that most of you here have the expertise and diligence it takes to make a good genealogist.

Having no experience at Norwegian genealogy, I have to admit that I'd wondered if the Lein lineage in Norway was as contrived as the supposed link to the Ayrshire Lynns. I'm glad that it is bona fide even though it has no connection to the Scottish Lynns. I have taken the liberty of deleting Loch Linnhe, Scotland as the place of death for John Ellingsen Lein.

I see that two Andrew Lynns were merged at some point, but there is still an Andrew Lynn of Ayrshire, born 1605, who is listed as a son of John Ellingsen Lynn and Ellen Lynn. Andrew Lynn of that Ilk Can we delete that relationship?

Justin, you make some excellent points above. To your no. 4, esp. "Identifying that William Lynn with any other in Scotland involves the wildest guessing.", I might add that Dr. William Lynn's family in fact lived in Ireland for an unknown number of years - probably a few generations - between leaving Scotland and coming to America - which underscores your point since relatively few Irish records of the period survive. I have despaired of ever finding evidence that links my Ulster Scottish Lynns to the Ayrshire family or to any family of Lynns in Scotland.

Loretta, we at Geni can be slow because we work collaboratively. It's management by committee. But we get there ;)

I've done some very basic cleanup in these areas. I want to remind everyone, gently, that further changes should be consistent with this discussion or should be presented for discussion here before changes are made.

There are two places where I'm not sure what to do.

First, the ancestry of Andrew Lynn, Sr.. He is currently placed as a descendant of the apparently bogus Andrew Lynn of that Ilk. Where should the line be cut? That is, how much of this line can be documented and how much is speculative?

Second, the parents of Dr. William Lynn and his siblings. They are currently placed as children of William Lynn and Margaret Lynn. That does not match the information at http://www.house-of-lynn.com/Dr_William_Lynn.html, which says their parents were William and Ann. How do we reorganize this area to be accurate? Was Margaret Patton married to a different William Lynn? Is it as easy as giving her a new husband, and replacing her in this area with Ann?

Justin, thank you for your Curator's note on the profile of this new Andrew Lynn of that Ilk. Something similar for his "wife", the "other" Ann, would be helpful Ann Blair, of Auldmuir.

There are so many errors in the lineages for the Lynns of Ayrshire, Ulster, and Virginia that it's hard to know what to do next. I believe you've discussed William Lynn. You spoke well when you pointed out the unlikelihood that a man in that era would have a middle name. During this fellow's lifetime, there were in fact a man named William Lyne (Lynn) and a man named David Lyne (Lynn) who both were Scots Protestant proprietors of properties in Kilmacrenan, County Donegal called Bunintyne [i.e., Bunnaton], Carrowreagh and Largebreak [i.e., Lurganbrack]. In fact, both men owned some portion of all three properties and all in the same year - 1654.

At the same time, however, "William David Lynn" should not be linked as a son of the aforesaid Andrew Lynn of that Ilk. Should the relationship be removed before deleting his middle name and creating a profile for his brother David?

AND, what about this David Lynn? Both he and "William David Lynn" supposedly are fathers of a "Dr. William Lynn" born in Ireland and died 1727-1729 in Virginia : William Lynn and William Lynn

Then, unfortunately, there are I believe too many generations of Williams in this family, as well as a couple of other problems. To quote Alice, "It gets curioser and curioser", But I'm sure this is more than enough in one discussion.

Ok, I did that. It feels good to get this cleaned up. There is still more to do.

I do love the part on Geni where we can not just clean up the inherited (and occasionally new) invented lines, but also educate.

Links to the people who aren't really connected, curator's notes as to the inherited and now not believed story, info in the Overview, locking down the relationships -- all excellent tools.

Many thanks to you all for this fine work!

Thank you Justin. The lineage for Andrew Lynn, Sr. as it currently exists is ...
Andrew Lynn, Sr. was born 1701 in Waterford, County Antrim, Ireland and died in Green River, KY.
His father Dr. John Lynn was born 1671 in Antrim, County Antrim and died in NJ.
T.A.'s father William Lynn was born 1638-45 in County Donegal, Ireland and died in Fredericksburg, VA.
It would be highly unusual in that era for a Virginian to migrate to New Jersey. Lacking sources except other family trees, and all else considered, I would separate Thomas Andrew and William.

P.S. There were Lynns living in County Antrim almost as early as the Scottish Lynns settled in Counties Donegal, Londonderry, and Tyrone. In fact, there were two Andrews as early as 1666, though what offspring they may have had I do not know.

Anne, I also love the chance to educate. And the chance to create a permanent discussion that shows how we came at the problem and what sources we used to resolve it. There's always a chance to new evidence, and of course always a chance we've made a mistake. The discussion lets us see if we've considered that evidence already or if where we might have gone astray.

Loretta, I made that change.

Here's the one giving me grief at the moment:
Margaret Lynn

Two different Lynn husbands. Dating seems off.

I think we'll see that quite unrelated Lynns have been swept up here in merges. Probably good sensible folk who've been swept up by their descendants in the mad rush to reach a noble line.

I've learned a lot just following the discussion. Thank you all.

Here's a dup: Margaret Lynn

Looks like Dr. John Lynn is the error.

I'm going to look for biography on the "Judge" son.

... Who has his own website. :)

http://www.judgedavidlynn.org/Judge_David_Lynn.html

"parents uncertain"

Thanks, Erica. That took us a ways further but there still seem to be major problems. I hope someone else can see and resolve the problems.

Justin, I see that Dr. John Lynn has been disconnected from William, but now he is connected as a son to a William Lynn who unbelievably is linked as a son to Andrew Lynn of that Ilk and Ann Blair, of Auldmuir who had no children. : (

I don't know much about Margaret Lynn except that I've usually seen her reported to be the wife of Dr. John Lynn brother of Dr. William Lynn. This is the first time I've seen John and William described as half brothers, though that certainly could be true. However, this is also the first time I've seen Margaret connected as the wife of Dr. John Lynn who I am certain had no connection to either of the Drs. Lynn, either in relationship or location.

Speaking of New Jersey ... Just to give everyone a further idea of how problematic the Ulster Scottish Lynn genealogy can be, there's a tree on Ancestry.com belonging to a Lynn I know that says my Hugh Linn/Lynn was born in Ireland in 1753 (which is true) was a brother to her Lynn ancestor born in New Jersey in 1753 ... even though my Hugh never left Ireland until 1788. I tried to get him disconnected from her branch of the family, to no avail.

Erin, the updated profile for Andrew Lynn of that Ilk is great.

Sorry for the multiple posts, but it's probably better to address different issues/question separately. This one is about Judge David Lynn. The Judge's 3rd-great-grandson South Trimble Lynn had a Y-DNA test, as did my brother Milton Lynn, whose Hugh Lynn/Linn I, and they have totally unrelated Y-DNA haplogroups. What does that mean for the Ulster Scottish Lynns we're discussing? Only probabilities, not certainties ...

Our Lynns lived in northwest Ulster, as did the family of Dr. William Lynn. Judge Lynn was from County Antrim, which is the far East of Ulster. Location coupled with the DNA suggests to me that Judge Lynn is unrelated to the Drs. Lynn and their family.

Loretta, hard to do this in real time. You said

David Andrew Linn who unbelievably is linked as a son to Andrew Lynn of that Ilk and Ann (Blair) Lynn who had no children.

But that was just for a few minutes while I was merging the many duplicates I've found along the way.

I'm still working. I hope other people are too.

Sorry Justin. It should have occurred to me that a merge might have been in the works. I did notice a number of merges needed. We'll keep plugging away. :)

When Erica found the duplicate for Margaret Cameron it opened up three or four or five duplicate trees we did not have on our list yet. More Leins. More Dr. Williams. A couple were good, a couple were bad. I merged all I could find but I wouldn't be surprised if there are still more.

In addition, there are two errors for Jane Paul daughter of Audley Lynn, on whom I see you did a lot of work yesterday. The mistakes are not yours. They were in the original profile when I saw it before your changes.

1. Audley's daughter was named Ann, not Jane. The 1757 will of Dr. William Lynn includes a bequest to "the Daughter of my Brother Audley Lynn, Dec'd, named Ann ..."

2. The will also proves that it was not Ann but her widowed mother who was married to Doctor Paul. The rest of the will's description of Ann reads: "now living in London with her Mother who married Doctor Paul". I don't know whether or not Jane was Ann's mother's name.

Paul's profile lists him as Rev. John Hugh Paul which I don't doubt is correct. As you may know, having a doctorate of divinity gives a preacher the title "Doctor".

Loretta, do you feel comfortable making those changes? If so, go ahead. If not I'll make them tomorrow when I'm awake enough to be thinking about what I'm doing ;)

Justin, I could not do relationship changes (because I only have Geni Basic?).

First, I tried to delete the Paul and Stuart marriages for the one Ann, intending to then merge the two Anns, but I was not able to delete the marriages.

Then, I tried instead to delete that Ann as a daughter of Audley, but was not able to do that either.

In the end, I changed that Ann's first name back to Jane and made her last name Unknown. When you next have time, would remove her as a daughter of Audley and make her instead his wife? Jane Paul

Now, there is a further complication. Dr. William Lynn's will (hurrah for Dr. Lynn!) made a bequest to "the children of my kinswoman Margaret Stuart now living in Augusta County, in Virginia which she had by her former husband, the Rev. Mr. Paul".

Compare that to his bequest to "the Daughter of my Brother Audley Lynn, Dec'd, named Ann now living in London with her Mother who married Doctor Paul".

There is an existing profile for Margaret Stuart that lists her husband as Reverend John Paul but does not connect her to her Lynn relatives. In 1757, Margaret Paul now Stuart was living in Virginia while Audley's widow, now Mrs. Paul, was living in London. Margaret's exact relationship to the Lynns is unknown. Being a "kinswoman" takes in a wide range of relationships.

So, either (1) Dr. Paul IS a different person from Reverend Paul, or (2) Margaret and Dr./Rev. Paul divorced and he married Audley's widow and moved to London.

In any case, we need "Jane" removed as a daughter of Audley and made his wife instead.

Strictly as a matter of interest, a Scottish loch is not truly a lake but a bay or arm of the sea that's become partially or, in some cases, totally landlocked. Loch Lomond is the most famous of these and is totally landlocked. There is only one named freshwater lake (as opposed to a pond I suppose) in Scotland - the Lake of Menteith. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_lochs_of_Scotland

I'll relinquish management of both Andrew Linns, both Ann Blair Linns, and Gavin Blair. Those might be three people, four people, five people, or six people and will leave things to you guys, seems I am doing more damage than constructive genealogy based on my research.

Thanks, Jonathan.

Showing 31-60 of 69 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion