• Private User
    Geni Pro
  • Private User
    Geni Pro

Profiles Mentioned:

Related Projects:

Showing 1-30 of 34 posts
9/30/2016 at 2:26 AM

Just a headsup that my Dad's mtDNA haplogroup: H4a1a3a has populated to Marie Buisset, the duPlessis SM.

Private User
9/30/2016 at 3:15 AM

Great! So Marie is a SM/mtPROG..

9/30/2016 at 3:23 AM

True. I'll update.

Private User
9/30/2016 at 6:12 AM

Fantastic news - and thanks for updating the projects. I followed the various ancestry lines and what is interesting is that this is to date a unique mtDNA group. It propogated to profiles managed by me but it seems somewhat limited. I wonder if there is currently a function (and I believe ideally it should be in the merge centre under research) that will show 'conflicting Y or mt DNA)? That would be a real place to focus energy on.

9/30/2016 at 6:41 AM

:-) Yes. As far as I can see, it is unique, and not well studied.
I'm not sure what you mean by limited? Mike seems to have extended the range so that it's showing on more of (or all of?) our SM/PROGs - ie 8 or so generations - which is much better than it was.
From what I can see - and understand - and I'm new at this... It's populated to 48 people - including his 6th cousins. Should it be more?

Private User
9/30/2016 at 6:45 AM

I mean where it is populated to a profile that has a different mtDNA. Looking for a 'quick way' or else a standard way to find those.

9/30/2016 at 6:55 AM

You mean when it contradicts?
I've seen it show both - in cases where two different ones had populated.

Private User
10/1/2016 at 7:32 AM

A quick or standard way to find it...

Private User
6/3/2017 at 3:52 AM

We have another mtDNA result in for her. It differs from H4a1a3a and it is U2c1. The contributor is the following profile:

Johannes Jacob Swanepoel, b7c2d3e1f3g8h3

I've checked his tree and it is correct. The contributor is Sharon's father. I think that line may have a technical issue with

Hesther Jacoba Maria Botha

her mother was perhaps not Weideman but one of the other two? Did not find a source that show this clearly.

Private User
6/3/2017 at 3:55 AM

...ie that Ann Ochse, SM/PROG could be the H4a1a3a result...

6/3/2017 at 6:56 AM

Jan, I haven't looked into it and don't mind either way - but Hesther Theron is my great grandmother and the records are from my grandmother, so I'm inclined to want to investigate further.
Your messaged point about Ochse being her mother not Weideman "Her father only married Weideman in 1882, when she was 14. That she gave her daughter the name of her father's second wife is much more likely than that her father had a clandestine relationship for so long. This means that your father's mtDNA result is for the Osche mtProg and not the U2c1 one. Could you please correct the tree, profiles and various projects?"
suggests you have a marriage certificate. Can you post a link? Her Weideman mother's death certificate lists my gr grandmother as one of her later children - still a minor when she dies - as far as I can see. Am I missing something? (Quite possible.)

6/3/2017 at 7:02 AM

As U2c1 is a central and south Asian mtDNA it seems unlikely as the mtDNA of a French woman?

6/3/2017 at 7:08 AM

https://www.geni.com/images/missing_image.png death note of Johanna Elizabeth Weidemann aged 57, listing my granny as one of her minor children?
Johanna Elizabeth Weidemann

6/3/2017 at 7:23 AM

Cf Mary Albertyn, b9 - who I don't manage

Private User
6/3/2017 at 12:57 PM

My wife has purchased a mtDNA full sequence test and posted her kit last week. Her maternal lineage leads up to Marie Buisset. I am sure of her ancestry up to no.7 below (C.M. Smit). We are hoping to confirm this lineage.

1. Marie-Therése Armenis (Loftus)

2. Renée Marie Loftus (Wessels)

3. Sibella Margaretha Wessels (Schabort)

4. Susanna Anna Schabort (Hugo)

5. Jacoba Gertruida Hugo (Olivier)

6. Cornelia Margaretha Olivier (Lubbe)

7. Cornelia Margaretha Lubbe (Smit)

8. Maria Danielina Smit (Nienaber)

9. Maria Agatha Nienaber (du Plessis)

10. Maria Sophia du Plessis (van Ellewee)

11. Maria van Ellewee (du Plessis)

12. Marie du Plessis (Buisset) SM/mtPROG

6/4/2017 at 12:04 AM

I see that both of those mtDNAs have propogated to your wife, https://www.geni.com/people/Marie-Therése-Armenis/60000000389251146.... That's interesting, and very useful that she is testing.

6/4/2017 at 12:19 AM

From what I can see Johannes Jacob Swanepoel, b7c2d3e1f3g8h3 born 1904 is not the source of the DNA - if has been propogated to his profile too. He also has a conflict on his Y.

6/4/2017 at 12:19 AM

It

Private User
6/4/2017 at 12:23 AM

Sharon, no.9 Maria Agatha Nienaber (du Plessis), appears to be the MRCA (most recent common ancestor) between my wife and your father's mtDNA lineages. I anticipate the test result in just over 8wks from now.

6/4/2017 at 12:27 AM

My Dad's mtDNA line
Dion Andre Doubell
your father → Johanna Elizabeth Botha Doubell
his mother → Hesther Jacoba Maria Theron Botha
her mother →Johanna Elizabeth Weidemann
her mother → Elizabeth Geertruida Lubbe, d9e2
her mother → Maria Charlotta Nienaber Lubbe
her mother → Maria Agatha du Plessis Nienaber, c4d6 SM
her mother → Maria Sophia van Ellewee
her mother → Maria du Plessis, b4 SM
her mother → Marie Buisset, SM
her mother

Private User
6/4/2017 at 12:35 AM

I would like to know who the source of this U2c1 is so that I can confirm their lineage.

Private User
6/4/2017 at 12:55 AM

I think this U2c1 is possibly a technical issue related to the propogation of the latest U2c1 result. I see there are 16 people following Johannes Jacob Swanepoel, b7c2d3e1f3g8h3 and Fanie van Heerden as well as Hoppe are in the mix. This U2c1 may be related to the Catharina van Malabar discussions we've been having.

6/4/2017 at 4:12 AM

Private User, my Great Granfather, Barend Theron, marries my gr grandmother, Johanna Weidemann, in 1847. My granny is born in 1868. There is no problem here that I can see.

Private User
6/4/2017 at 10:37 AM

Private User is U2c1.

It appears that Cecilia's maternal grandfather is the Johannes Jacob Swanepoel above who has propogated the U2c1 haplogroup throughout the maternal lineage of Marie Buisset.

I have sent Cecilia a message informing her and requesting confirmation that the U2c1 result was mistakenly linked to her maternal grandfather's profile.

If Cecilia affirms the mistake then it is a case of removing thevU2c1 label from her grandfather and linking her mtDNA result to her own profile.

6/4/2017 at 9:27 PM

Good sleuthing.

Private User
6/5/2017 at 5:26 AM

Uhm if my eyes are not mistaken then Private User maternal grandmother/mtProg is Elizabeth Richarde, SM/PROG whom was definitely a French lady, so atm I view this reasoning about a possible mistake with the allocation of mtDNA with little bit of sceptism - I may have a solution....

First order: if you click on Marie Buisset, SM/PROG you actually see the contributors (for future reference too) so it is not that U2c1 was propagated from him to her, i.e. he is actually the donor although I must admit it seems like a very old test as he must have passed away a while back.

I admit that U2c1 seems strange nonetheless, but glad that more eyes are looking into the problem.

The solution: The Y-DNA and atDNA results for Johannes Jacob Swanepoel, b7c2d3e1f3g8h3 seem to check out, and as it would be clear that the same person uploaded the results probably from the same site it does seem a bit unlikely that only the mtDNA result would somehow become distorted? It might be that all the results are linked to the wrong person, perhaps a son of him (impacting mtDNA results only)?

6/5/2017 at 6:12 AM

Jan, you can click on the details from Johannes's profile, too. I had just assumed that his Y would have been uploaded at the same time as his mtDNA, and neither of his 2 Y results are from his own tests. Perhaps, however, his mtDNA was done separately, and perhaps it was done in an elderly man because of the Porphyria markers.
Cecilia can tell us.

On the unlikelihood of U2c1 being carried by a French woman, that is the same problem with the line you checked to Marie Buisset.

Private User
6/5/2017 at 6:37 AM

The facts are the following:

1. Cecilia Strauss posted the aDNA and mtDNA (U2c1) results to Johannes Jacob Swanepoel's profile. The results are not his as he was born in 1904. They belong to her..

2. Cecilia has stated publicly that she is U2c1.

3. Cecilia's mtDNA result conflicts with her mtDNA lineage on Geni.

4. I have messaged Cecilia and am awaiting confirmation from her side.

... still waiting

6/5/2017 at 6:57 AM

Ahh. Hopefully she replies soon.

Private User
8/1/2017 at 11:30 PM

Good morning. Cecilia has replied. Her correct mtDNA lineage can be seen on her sources page (open with pdf).

https://media.geni.com/p13/f1/b4/ef/b1/53444843f524dd6e/mothers_tre...

I corrected her lineage and removed the upload from her grandfather. I requested she upload her DNA results to her own Geni profile.

Showing 1-30 of 34 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion