Mérovech I, King of the Salian Franks - Who

Started by Justin Durand on Friday, December 23, 2016
Showing all 5 posts
12/23/2016 at 7:56 PM

Interesting article about Mérovech and the Merovingians. Highly speculative, but interesting.

The Merovingians
http://www.medievalhistories.com/the-merovingians-merowech-mithras/
The Merovingians literally means “The People of Merowech”. But who was Merowech? And what does his name tell us about the first Frankish kings?

Private User
12/23/2016 at 9:41 PM

This reminds me that the "Merovingianists" were very disappointed to learn that the Bourbon kings of France did not belong to the "Merovingian" G2a Y-DNA haplotype, but to a variant of the relatively common R1b. It can't be said for certain that the same is true of earlier kings, considering that Henri IV was only a ninth(!) cousin to the last of the Valois. That much of a gap does offer opportunities for Non-Parental Events of one sort or another.

I wonder what they made of the finding that Richard III of England *did* belong to the "Merovingian" haplotype. He was (probably) a direct descendant of Geoffrey of Anjou....

12/23/2016 at 10:38 PM

Interesting

4/22/2022 at 2:08 PM

Woah, the Bourbons aren't descendants of Merovech?

Private User
4/23/2022 at 9:09 AM

Not direct male line, no - because Charlemagne wasn't, and the antecedents of the Capetians aren't all that certain either. There have been attempts to find links via female transmission, which may or may not be valid.

Showing all 5 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion