Sizemores

Started by Walter Sizemore on Wednesday, April 12, 2017
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Related Projects:

Showing 1-30 of 44 posts
4/12/2017 at 7:31 PM

My Name is Walter Blair Sizemore, son of Jennings Jinx Sizemore, granfather was Hiram Sizemore, his father was Amon Sizemore, that is all that is confimed. Have done the things on all the sites and get different answers to earlier relatives. Any help would be deeply appreciated.

10/26/2017 at 3:49 AM

Hi Walter Sizemore where are you stuck?

10/26/2017 at 7:31 AM

Annie Elizabeth Sizemore

Did some research, we had Owen in the wrong branch. Walter is correct based on what I found, His father and mother are George "Goldenhawk" and Annie Hart. Updated their overviews.

10/26/2017 at 7:33 AM

I don't want to merge his tree into ours as his is private and ours are MP, he will need to approve and merge.

10/26/2017 at 7:34 AM

Here is Walter's Owen. Owen J. Sizemore

10/26/2017 at 8:09 AM

Sorry, meant Rev. George Edward was his father on ours. George Edward Sizemore

Don't believe George Goldenhawk was ever married to a Annie Hart. We show it and your MP states that but the internet proves otherwise.

Unless it is a different Ann Elizabeth Hart. Goldenhawk's wife Annie (above posting)was born 1734, Rev George's Ann Elizabeth was born 1751. Anna Elizabeth Sizemore

10/26/2017 at 8:28 AM

pretty much stuck at Owen Sizemore Sr, or so it says, do not think that was Later Owen Sizemores father but his uncle

10/26/2017 at 5:33 PM

Are we Concering George Goldenhawk Sizemore Family as Native Americans I think most of them applied to wrong tribe this why they were rejected. I believe some were Native Americans. Just not enrolled.
Billie

10/27/2017 at 5:45 AM

Billie,

Actually the stories vary greatly as to the "true" origins are of George's Father George "All" Sizemore, story says that he was named with "All" by his mother to remind him he was all Indian. Whether this is provable is another story altogether. The next generation however, which is the generation of "Goldenhawk" and NUMEROUS (another story of upwards of 40 children) has this Sizemore family intermarrying with many known Melungeon Indian surnames such as Bowling/Boling/Bolling, Anderson, Stamper, Richardson Tackett, Collins, Gibson etc. on down through the generations.

It is obvious that for some reason the Sizemore family were comfortable with marriage to multi racial families so I can only assume that this is due their origins being Native, at least in part. These people have been so mistreated and misunderstood down through the generations, thus so much of their heritage has been obscured/erased. We have some proof, little bits and pieces here and there. And as ancestors such as Walter get involved, we hope to eventually find the "true" story, whichever way it turns out. Just want to make as correct as documentation allows. Easy to change these profiles as proof comes to the top....

10/27/2017 at 5:52 AM

There was a man by the name of Walter Plecker that almost singlehandedly destroyed the Native Indian race as we know it in America. Detroyed and modified numerous documents during his tenure. Designed the Racial Integrity Act of 1921, which in short said that everyone is one of two races, White or "Colored". Said there were no true Indians or other races left in America, all were so diluted that it no longer existed. In theory, guess this is true, even as it applies to his "White Supreme" race, Ameica is a melting pot, that is what makes us so great. Google link to Plecker but be prepared to get upset.

https://www.google.com/search?source=hp&ei=HyjzWcGxO-fajwT5rIuo...

10/27/2017 at 5:57 AM

http://edu.lva.virginia.gov/online_classroom/shaping_the_constituti...

"The Racial Integrity Act of 1924 recognized only two races, white and colored. The act required that a racial description of every person be recorded at birth, and made marriage between white persons and nonwhite persons a felony. Plecker developed the racial criteria behind the act and adhered strictly to the one-drop rule, a historical term originating in the South that holds that a person with any trace of African ancestry is considered black. The Racial Integrity Act was subject to the Pocahontas exception. Since many influential Virginia families claimed descent from Pocahontas, the legislature declared that a person could be considered white with as much as one-sixteenth Indian ancestry."

"Plecker's policies pressured state agencies to reclassify most citizens claiming Indian identity as colored in spite of a 1930 amendment to the Racial Integrity Act that restored the legal status of some Virginia Indians who lived on reservation lands. Plecker, nevertheless, believed that they also had African ancestry and classified them as colored. This policy has left a modern-day legacy where Virginia's Indians struggle to achieve federal recognition because they cannot prove their heritage as required by federal laws."

10/27/2017 at 10:38 AM

Lloyd Alfred Doss, Jr. my 4th great grandmother Elizabeth Anderson b 1795 married John Hayes and their son Captain Anderson Hays married Rachel Sizemore, my 3rd great grandma. Although later census records shows Elizabeth as white, I do not believe she was. Lots of info on the blending of races at www.lost-creek.org. A very racially mixed community in NC that had many member migrate to Vigo, IN. How these people became free people of color in NC is indeed an interesting story. At any rate, John Hays' wife Elizabeth was African American or a minimum mixed race. Lot of good info on Meleungeons in this website.

10/27/2017 at 11:16 AM

So, it is possible that Rebecca Anderson born 1798, wife of Owen Sizemore is from your Anderson/Hayes family? Rebecca Sizemore

10/27/2017 at 7:49 PM

Lloyd,
What I about to say not proff if they were white they wouldn’t have been up on charges in court I seen where some with surname was in court for marrying out thier race. And I see them in Shawnee book so I assume they tried to enroll in wrong tribe. As far pleckner I seen all stuff he did my family got paper genicided cause was in WV virginia area moved so much but looking at photos no way they white people. I in Sizemore group who wanting me to join a tribe with them but till now couldn’t put Sizemore in my family directly still can’t but they married in tons ways it seems. Thanks Geni I was wondering why descendants showing up in DNA hits in ancestry and 23andMe now it exsplained some actul blood cousins don’t help me with finding mine but makes me think why all these Native Americans marring in to my so called white family lol I part Native American I know I don’t need card stating so my Native American searching for fun lol. Mom always wanted to know her background and me too it’s getting to be colorful for sure. I never knew anyone in family but grandma few dads family so this a adventure.
Billie

10/28/2017 at 9:00 AM

Billie, Look at the OUTSTANDING website that Sandra gave us above. It is an excellent resource. Thanks so much Sandar, I was using it last night.

Like I said earlier, You all, that have history in your family stories of links to the Sizemore's are our best resource to find out the truth about this "historic" family. So much vital history has been destroyed through the years by the likes of the "Pleckers" and also the destruction earlier of records by the Civil War (by both sides). All of you can help us with your family stories, letters, family bibles and so on to get this documented before it is lost forever. Thank you Billie, Walter and Sandra for your help. Lloyd

10/29/2017 at 8:22 AM

Also, there is a blog with a lot of good info. https://nativeamericanroots.wordpress.com/ many photos and tons of info. Maps of settlements and some tribal info. Lloyd, thanks for your kind words. Thanks Kianga Lucas

10/29/2017 at 8:43 AM

Found this today, If true it will dash the hopes of those trying to identify the tribal affiliation. I thought Lumbee or Saponi but not so. http://sizemoretribe.com/faq/

10/29/2017 at 10:51 AM

LloydDoss, Owen Sizemore was my 5th great uncle, married to Rebecca Anderson b1791, with a son Anderson Sizemore. Kinda creepy so many coincidences but I don't think Rebecca is related to Elizabeth. I sure will take back to see what happens though. I'll let you know. My email is carotrace@yahoo.com

10/29/2017 at 1:00 PM

Here a Artical you all might want to see.

https://pin.it/DZAZOdO

10/29/2017 at 1:06 PM
10/29/2017 at 1:14 PM

https://pin.it/201Ly30

Here newspaper Artical

Private
2/24/2019 at 5:39 PM

Sizemore
Between Francis Philip Lages, III and David Cremeans /NAIF 501c3

Reply Forward Save Delete Mark as Spam Mute

Francis Philip Lages, III
Today at 4:46 AM
Please look at the following link, which would indicate that they were brothers and not the same.

https://www.geni.com/people/Chief-George-Sizemore-Jr/60000000096272...

Guess that adds more to the Sizemore confusion.

Thanks for all of your hard work.

Fritz Lages, Husband of Betty Lou Hard Lages

2/24/2019 at 5:44 PM

Private

Link didn’t work.

I’ve done some more cleanup on the Sizemores lately, take a look from here:

Edward "Old Ned" Sizemore

6/1/2019 at 9:54 PM

Hi all-I have had DNA matches on ancestry w/Sizemores, and was told that we have Sizemore ancestors but I have never found the line. I feel confident that it's through my 2x gr grandfather Murphy Green, born 1859 in Tn but I have been unable to find any other family info on him.; I know that he married Maggie Wells in 1886 and they had 4 children (one my granny Pearl Mae Green). The kids and Murphy pretty much disappear after 1902 school census in Arizona til my Granny was married...were any Sizemores married to Greens in Tn?

6/3/2019 at 10:39 AM

Tamantha, here's the profile on your Murphy Green and Maggie Wells, Maggie Wells

Tamatha, you can connect to my tree on Geni if you like Cousin.

Thank you Lloyd Alfred Doss Jr. I did not know my Cousin was using Geni. Do you have a tree on here Tamatha?

And yes Sizemores did marry Greenes.

And yes Sizemores did marry Greenes.

Showing 1-30 of 44 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion