Started by Private User on Sunday, June 4, 2017
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Related Projects:

Showing all 11 posts
Private User
6/4/2017 at 11:03 PM

I know that Private User will also find this interesting...

I stumbled across this Facebook post about Cathal's Burgesses. It might help point us in the right direction to eventually connect him. The comments have some interesting notes, too.

https://facebook.com/Wistorical/photos/a.500818156692250.1073741830...

He'll always be the most fascinating man of that era to me! Hopefully someone will write a book in time for the war anniversaries.

Private User
6/5/2017 at 12:25 AM

Great article as not much is known about the family. btw I am an editor for Wistorical the page is created by Turtle Bunbury the Irish historian. I agree we should try and connect him if the Irish records allow this and then move the research to France

Private User
6/5/2017 at 5:01 AM

Oh, excellent! Not surprised that you're involved. :)

The site is slow for me at the moment, so I'm not going to do much adding of profiles yet. But I did recently put in an ILL request for the most recent UCD MA thesis on Brugha, so maybe I'll get some info out of that. And I have Catherine Jennings Brugha's contact info somewhere...

Private User
6/5/2017 at 3:52 PM

I wonder if we could tie Cathal in through the South African tree due to his brother Edward "Eamon" Burgess. Sharon Doubell, would it be possible to track him down with just a death year? I'm not sure how common Burgess is as a surname there.

6/6/2017 at 11:57 AM

Yes Burgess is a known surname in SA. I'm not sure about death records on line that recently. I'll put a request in to the South African project that is actively looking for documents - maybe they can find something.

6/6/2017 at 11:59 AM

MH seems to think that they have extra siblings for him?

Private User
6/6/2017 at 12:35 PM

Thanks...I would not have know to ask in that particular project.

Yes, there were 11-14 children in the family, but I haven't added everyone yet. The best hopes for connecting Cathal would seem to be this South African path, or maybe his first cousin once removed Roseanna Love who went to Chicago. I plan to work on the Chicago possibility later.

Private User
6/6/2017 at 12:37 PM

I did try looking for Edward last night in some on-line South African trees, but no luck.

6/6/2017 at 12:41 PM

:-) I was checking whether any other siblings came to SA.

Private User
6/6/2017 at 12:45 PM

We do now have a super wonky path, but it's all through in-laws:

Cathal Brugha is your 6th great uncle's second great nephew's wife's first cousin once removed's husband's second cousin once removed's husband's grandfather.

Showing all 11 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion