Unknown Indian War

Started by Billie June Keaffaber on Saturday, November 11, 2017
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Related Projects:

Showing all 9 posts
11/11/2017 at 7:05 AM

I found this person and Tombstone states Indian Wars 1824. I not sure which Indian War he was in but there is big story on him and his family. How would I find out which Indian War he was in?? I know lots of fighting with Indians happened in area.

Henry Morris

Private User
11/11/2017 at 1:43 PM

Reading About the Morris family:
http://wvancestry.com/ReferenceMaterial/Files/A_Genealogy_of_the_Mo...

The Indian war of the Kanawah valley may extend into those before the Revolution. SO much has been written about the alliances of tribes, primarily with the British.
I was studying this a few years ago while curating files connected Thomas Bailey Christian, (probably) orphan of the Shawnee.
Thomas Bailey Christian
See also:
Thomas Bailey Christian
and the note:
"On November 11, 1777 James Hall and a number of Virginia militia members attacked and killed the Shawnee Chief Cornstalk and two of his sons who, at the time, were being held prisoner. This reignited the frontier war for survival with both sides killing each other as fast as they were able. "

I cannot name any books off the top of my head that would answer your question but I remember reading Shawnee Heritage I & II by Greene. That got me started.
The wars spread far and wide and included the exploits of Tecumseh.
Tecumseh

I hope this gives you a start tot he areas you'd like to explore...

Private User
11/11/2017 at 1:45 PM

I didn't mean to double enter Thomas Bailey Christian: Here's another link for Elinipisco:
Elinipsico Cornstalk

Private User
11/11/2017 at 1:47 PM

Have you consulted the links at:
William Morris, II
?

11/11/2017 at 2:06 PM

Michael,
What I know of Area this area and many families were constantly attacked I have 3 massacres alone and many family captive. I assuming only that it was just battles. I didn’t know if I had to supply the exsact war in here cause tombstone on Henry Morris just said Indian War 1824. But like I said they were constantly fighting in this area some these battles were 2-3 generation long. Some where in lines I suppose to have grandparents that were Native American most family real dark not me. I seen that Shawnee books you talk of found some Sizemore cousins in it too. They got rejected from Cherokee. I think they applied to wrong tribe but I still think they Part Cherokee/Shawnee to tell truth although thier controversy over them to this day.
Billie

11/11/2017 at 2:10 PM

Looks like you help me even more Michael I have both those Native Americans in lines I think I have one twice lol.
Billie

7/13/2018 at 8:16 PM

I found this woman who was a Child when her parents was attacked the story list what happened to her as child. The entire story on her mother father profile. I added her as she was in area when the attack accured. Not quite clear if all was in Fort or not. But sounds like kids were taken to fort and the mom left and was taken captive when her father was killed. Hope she qualifies for project although she was child at time. But she was affected by the Wars majorly.

Elizabeth Hartley

Billie

Private User
8/2/2018 at 3:24 AM

Looking over your posts, you seem to be uncovering many new and interesting facts in what is an extremely difficult are of study.

I hope you are feeling satisfied with your progress.

8/2/2018 at 10:43 AM

Michael,
I hoping to uncover the Native American heritage at some point. Was thinking it was from one these captives was telling a guy the other day I have hints all over place About Native American heritage found few native Americans but still don’t have no clue on mine. My family on mom side just way to dark and the stories are everywhere it making sense of all them. But ywasbtold about a law around area to stop the native Americans from adding to thier documents Native American ancestery this exsplains so much why I getting told What I am.
Billie

Showing all 9 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion