Lady Joan Fitzgerald, Duchess of Ormond - Lady Joan had no children with Sir Francis Bryan

Started by Clare Livingston Bromley, III on Sunday, May 20, 2018
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Related Projects:

Showing 91-94 of 94 posts

I’m not sure exactly where Morgan Bryan fits in, but it feels like you are in the right ball park.

My last post was a little confused about the name "Murrough" There seem to be a lot of Morroghs and Murroughs etc. The point I was trying to make was that Morgan Bryan appears to be related by male DNA with the line of Daniel O'Briens, 1st and 3rd Viscounts of Clare. The fact that the 1st Viscount of Clare married Catherine Fitzgerald, daughter of Lady Joan Fitzgerald seems too close to the traditional story about Morgan Bryan to be a coincidence, along with the plight of the O'Briens in attempting to secure and then losing their ancient homeland.

This book, "Historical Memoir of the O'Briens" provides a lot of detail about their plight:

https://archive.org/details/historicalmemoi00odogoog/page/n384

"Thus ended the connection of the Clare O'Briens (as they are termed) with their native county. Henceforward they are to be found in the service of the princes of the continent, chiefly in that of the French monarchs."

Intriguing Discussion! Hopefully, something come's to light.
(my ancestry, as well as a whole lot of others depends upon it LOL)
I seem to add something new to my genealogical database every time I re-visit.

Erica Howton, I have a Morgan Bryan as follows. Not sure if this is the Morgan Bryan you are seeking.

http://www.wikitree.com/wiki/Bryan-102 Long bio and notes at this link.

Around 1748, Morgan Bryan began his epic journey through the Blue Ridge to the Yadkin Country, to found what came to be known as the Bryan Settlements in Rowan County, NC. His route was afterward called "Morgan Bryan's Road." It is related that at one point he was obliged to take his wagon apart, carry it piece by piece over a mountain, and reassemble it on the other side. He died about July 1763. A copy of his will is contained in Mr. J. R. Cooper's "The Bryan Families of Fayette County," and it is apparent from this document that he had prospered at the Settlement.

He reared seven sons and two daughters, namely: Joseph, born c. 1720; Eleanor, born c. 1722; Mary, c. 1724; Samuel, c. 1726; Morgan, c 1728; John, c. 1731; William, c 1733; James, c. 1735; and Thomas, about 1737.

Researchers of the Kentucky pioneer period of the Bryan annals have found their task somewhat less arduous than those who have searched out and listed the Morgan Bryan ancestry. Interest in the brothers William, James and Morgan, founders of Bryan's Station, and in Rebecca Bryan, wife of Daniel Boone, has uncovered the wealth of material to be had from the Fayette County records, family Bibles, gravestones, and two notable collections of family papers, known as the "Shane and Draper Collections." Thanks to these sources, present day descendants of Morgan and Martha Strode Bryan are enabled to complete their lines of descent from their immigrant ancestors, of whom the Bryans, unlike most families, have two.

The Boones and the Bryans were long settled in Devonshire, England and both families claim descent from the ancient Norman house of deBohun, the Bryans through a collateral line.

Humphrey, founder of the house Bohun, and surnamed "with the beard," came into England with William the Conquer, Henry duBohun, great-grandson of Humphrey, joined the barons who obtained the concession of Magna Carta, and was one of the twenty-five appointed to insure it's observance.

Showing 91-94 of 94 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion