Be Binn Inion Urchadh, Queen of Thomond - Sources?

Started by Sharon Doubell on Saturday, June 23, 2018
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Related Projects:

Showing all 12 posts

What proof that this is Brian Boru, High king of Ireland mother? Cutting, pending sources.

Brian Boru, High King of Ireland is my 28th great grandfather. His wife is unknown. His father is Cennetig Mac Lorcain, King of Dal Gcais. He is my 29th great grandfather. Brian Boru's daughter, Slaine Ni Bhrain is my 27th great grandmother.

Post if you would like additional lineage.

She appears neither in Medlands nor in the Annals of Ulster, but Wikipedia lists sources, none of which I've got access to at the moment --

References[edit]
West or H-Iar Connaught Ruaidhrí Ó Flaithbheartaigh, 1684 (published 1846, ed. James Hardiman).
Origin of the Surname O'Flaherty, Anthony Matthews, Dublin, 1968, p. 40.
Irish Kings and High-Kings, Francis John Byrne (2001), Dublin: Four Courts Press, ISBN 978-1-85182-196-9
The Great Book of Irish Genealogies, Dubhaltach Mac Fhirbhish: Edited, with translation and indices by Nollaig Ó Muraíle Five volumes. Dublin, DeBurca, 2004-2005. ISBN 0 946130 36 1.

They all seem rather late to me to count as sources. What do you think?

The Leabhar na nGenealach, which is what the Great Book Of Irish Genealogies is, was complied in the 17th C, true, but from sources mostly dating from around the 14th C, and some of those sources were compilations of much earlier texts.

The section on the descendants of Brian Boru is a fabrication, but I can’t speak to any ancestors he is given, and I haven’t the text available.

"The section on the descendants of Brian Boru is a fabrication," is good enough for me, unless you want her there.

I just wish I knew more about what’s going on.

I would cut her and lock, but not call her a fiction yet since we don’t know what fiction it was.

I've cut her, but not locked his relationships - because I haven't researched them enough. (Somebody should, though :-)
She's attached to this Discussion, if we need to add her back in the future.

Sounds good. I've been thinking about her for a while; she won't fall off the radar.

Brian Boru, High King of Ireland is my 29th great grandfather.

Following...

:-)

Showing all 12 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion