John Allen, of Sandwich - John Allen, of Sandwich, son of Ralph 'Wheelright' Allen, Sr., of Sandwich

Started by Richardson B. Allen on Monday, June 24, 2019
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Showing all 3 posts
6/24/2019 at 8:08 AM

I'm sorrow, but the profile of "John Allen, of Sandwich" (John Allen, of Sandwich) has confused two separate John Allens.

1) John Allen, first mentioned in Sandwich, MA, in 1642, married Elizabeth Allen (Bacon) (Elizabeth Allen) in 1650 and moved shortly later to Newport, RI. The Rhode Island Society of Friends (Quaker) records show that John of RI spent the rest of his life in RI, d. 30 Oct 1708, South Kingstown RI. There is no evidence to show that John (1) was related to the family of George Allen, of Sandwich, but there is poor evidence that John was related to "Ralph 'Stonemason' Allen, Jr, of Sandwich" (Ralph 'Stonemason' Allen, Jr, of Sandwich).

2) The other Allen was John Allen son of "Ralph 'Wheelright' Allen, Sr., of Sandwich" (Ralph 'Wheelwright' Allen, Sr., of Sandwich), born possibly in about 1638, had married a "Rebecca Landers (unknown)" (Rebecca Landers). John Allen, son of Ralph Allen, Sr., died before May 20, 1706 in Sandwich, and his widow later married Joseph Landers (Joseph Landers). John Allen son of Ralph Allen, Sr. has only three children, Isaac Allen, Benjamin Allen and Judah Allen. Elizabeth Allen (Bacon) and her children are related to John Allen (1).

John Allen (1) is also listed in a separate profile, "John Allen, of Newport, RI" (John Allen). So the John Allen who married Elizabeth Allen (Bacon), and their children, should be deleted from the profile of John Allen, of Sandwich, son of "Ralph 'Wheelright' Allen, Sr., of Sandwich". I added some text in the Overview of John Allen son of Ralph Allen Sr., explaining why the two John Allens combined in the profile of "John Allen, of Sandwich" should be divided into two separate profiles. I started at least one other discussion concerning the two John Allens, but we still have the two separate John Allens in the profile of John Allen son of Ralph Allen, Sr. So unless someone gives me a good reason, I will delete the records of John Allen (1) from the profile of John Allen son of Ralph Allen, Sr.

Richardson

6/24/2019 at 10:01 AM

I appreciate your work on these two John Allens and support your decision to distinguish them so that the Geni records are accurate. Just as we used "Stonemason" and "Wheelwright" to distinguish the 2 Ralphs I think the Geni entry for each name should have a clear identifier. If I am understanding this correctly one man is "John Allen, of Sandwich, son of Ralph 'Wheelwright' Allen, Sr., of Sandwich" and the other is "John Allen of Sandwich and Newport". I have changed the spelling of "Wheelwright" in the Geni entry for Ralph "Wheelwright" Allen.

6/24/2019 at 11:26 AM

Sometimes I forget to use "Wheelwright" instead of "Wheelright"! Thanks.

Showing all 3 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion