‘Shawano Woman’, /Piqua Shawnee - Dates

Started by Portia Peterson on Thursday, October 24, 2019
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Related Projects:

Showing all 26 posts

I was curious how she is born 1635, but her father isn't born until 1712?

You are correct, she can't be the daughter of Hokelesqua Cornstalk, not doubting her existence, just that her placement in the tree is way off. Chief Straight Tail Opessa, her husband was born 1630 and children are all born mid to late 1600's. We may need a curator to disconnect and leave her without parentage until further research is completed.

Disconnected from parents. Don Greene doesn’t have any listed for her.

Thanks for spotting.

It had been like that for a long time. I haven't been able to connect all the dots.... provide enough sources. I have my own theory though...there is some connection to Cornstalks...and Powhatans. I have an awful lot of dna matches to people that say they descend from these names. My guess is it goes all the way back to this union...

Great Cornstalk

Is there evidence that Machumps was his son? I think the sister is correct, but again, the dates seem off.

Yes, I am not saying that these two would be the parent's of her...just a connection. Maybe a grand daughter....or maybe niece. Is this line the oldest Cornstalk known? Or any other's around this time frame? I will keep looking.

Don Green's Shawnee Heritage I book was in 2008. It looks like the last site I listed was posted in 2012, by a Steven...showing a writing by Helen Campbell from 2001. Note "Don Luis". Then look at this profile....

Chief Running Stream ‘Don Luis’, {Fictional - Shawnee Heritage}

Compare with Werowance of the Powhatan

Then compare PauPauwiske, of the Powhatan

with Scent Flower Winsinocock, {Fictional - Shawnee Heritage}

I don’t look at {Fictional} it hurts my eyes. :):)

Can you write out what you’re thinking?

Those profiles are not fictional. They are the same as the profiles that I compared them to. Especially the two "Scent Flowers". EXACT birth and death dates. Either they are both REAL....or both FAKE. Why won't you look at a fictional profile....it is falsely labeled as such.

Just another to glance at....

Lesser Chief Japasaw "Iopassus" Patawomeck, of Passapatanzy

https://worldconnect.rootsweb.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?op=GET&a...

Japasaw/Iopassus was a real, documented lesser Chief of the Patawomeck, a tribe that was part of the Powhatan Confederacy. He lived from about 1570-1625.

“Don Luis” was a young Indian man named Pasquinquineo from the James River area who was .captured by the Spanish in 1561. He was returned in 1570. He may have been from the Chickahominy tribe. He only appears in Spanish records.

There was no one in this time and place named “Ripple” or “Stream” or “Scent” anything. Those are complete fiction, spread on the Internet and fostered by Don Greene and others.

Diana Collins Maybe you’d be kind enough to merge the fake Scent Flowers? Or request kindly that a curator get rid of the extra - or advise the profile manager? Do I see all the 140 million profiles ? :)::).

Historians are fairly scathing about made up Native American names. So glad you caught this one & will deal with it.

Sachem Hokolesqua "Stream" Opechan Cornstalk, (Fictional) is locked and can't be merged or name changed from fictional.

That’s because he’s fictional.

This is the known tree for Hokolesqua, Sachem Cornstalk

From the profile notes:

“The parents of Hokolesqua, known as Cornstalk, are unknown. He said in a speech that his father was White Fish, a Shawnee man. The Moravian Missionaries say he was the son or grandson of Paxinosa. In any case he was not the son of anyone named Opeechan Stream.”

Were there two different NA females named Paupauwiske?

PauPauwiske, of the Powhatan

Paupauwiske, of the Poawomeck

If this is so, WHY could there NOT have been two different NA males named Hokolesqua?

There were NO Native American families/individuals named Paupauwiske or Scent Flower or Stream or Ripple or any other English name near Jamestown. They are made up by people who want to have Native American ancestors. The only Native American person from the Jamestown area who has known descendants is Pocahontas - and she is also the only woman there with an English name. There are no records of any Native Americans from the Chesapeake area between 1572 and the arrival of the Roanoke colonists. With the exception of a handful of Powhatan’s children and wives (and even they are somewhat uncertain) there is no mention of any Native American women (and few men) from this area and time by name. If you see dates from the 1500’s and English names associated with Native Americans supposedly associated with the Powhatan or the Shawnee you can be certain they are invented. The Shawnee did not encounter white people until at least 50 years after Jamestown.

Erica, this one belongs to you....

Paupauwiske, of the Poawomeck

and this one belongs to Margaret (C) ....

PauPauwiske, of the Powhatan

So....Kathryn....who was the spouse of Lesser Chief Japasaw "Iopassus" Patawomeck, of Passapatanzy ....since he was a real, documented lesser Chief of the Patawomeck?

The name of Japasaw’s wife is unrecorded. The story comes from Hamor’s 1615 account.

Link to the page which says only “Iopassus .... made his wife the instrument ...”
https://archive.org/details/truediscourseofp1957hamo/page/4

Is this book...or document.... anywhere....on geni....

https://www.scribd.com/document/127046511/1887-Pocahontas-Alias-Mat...

It is supposed to mention Iapazeus.

The book is available on Google books for free. It quotes Hamor briefly, saying that Argyll visited Iapazous. p. 20. That’s all it says.

Ok

Are there any other documentations on this family outside of the tree provided by Don?

Showing all 26 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion