Sarah Dille (Woodbridge) - Who are the parents of Sarah Dille, wife of John Dille, of Woodbridge, NJ?

Started by Hatte Anne Blejer on Monday, May 4, 2020
Showing all 10 posts
5/4/2020 at 2:18 PM

I'm moving some discussion from email to Public Discussion since this question will come up in the future.

Sarah unknown is not the daughter of Sarah wife of John Dille. Sarah is not related to any of the Woodbridge family. Can you please remove her from the Woodbridge family ?
I am contacting you about this profile: Mercy Woodbridge

5/4/2020 at 2:20 PM

Response to above email, moving to Public Discussion.

I changed the Sarah Unknown so that she is not Mercy's daughter and did not die in NJ in 1684. I found one "Family history" on Ancestry that says Sarah Woodbridge, Mercy's daughter, was born in Newbury, Essex, MA which was an enclave that moved to this part of NJ in Sarah's youth or early adulthood. Her birth is recorded in the Roxbury Town records with her last name "Woddbridg" and father John no mother listed but the date of birth is the one associated with Sarah regardless of the site. This family history also says that Sarah Woodbridge born 1640 in MA died by 1691 in England and had 5 children. A married name was not given.

It doesn't seem or at least I haven't seen any records that substantiate either scenario.

Help!

5/4/2020 at 2:20 PM

Third email.

Thank you for your help and cooperation. I have been researching the Dille family for about 35 years and I have searched and searched for a marriage record that says John Dill or Dille married Sarah Woodbridge. But I just cannot find one. I have located 5 or 6 references to John's marriage and they never have a last name for Sarah. They just state, John married Sarah no last name. I have communicated with some Dille researchers whom I considered very reliable and they have the same results. There is not proof that Sarah was a Woodbridge

I am stating just from memory now. I have seen reference to the Sarah who went to England and I think there was also a Sarah Dudley who may be mistaken for Sarah Woodbridge Dille. I will check my files to see if I have information about them.

This is a major problem with the Dille family because it is all over the internet and people just copy and use it without checking for facts.

5/4/2020 at 2:21 PM

My response.

I suggest that we move this discussion to Public Discussions with a link to the Discussion Tab under Sarah Dille. That way, it will be preserved for future reference. It's clear that this issue will come up again, since there are competing theories about Sarah Dille, wife of John.

I did a number of merges of duplicate trees this morning and have been resolving conflicts both data and tree in this family by the way, since I was looking at Sarah Dille. Let me know if there are issues or if you need assistance.

What I propose is to detach Sarah Dille from the Woodbridge family, but in the Overview note that some sites believe she is the daughter of John Woodbridge and Mercy Dudley, with links to the theorized parents. We can re-attach her, if evidence surfaces.

I will move your comments to Public Discussion, but won't use your names without permission.

Thank you for bringing the issue up.

5/4/2020 at 3:46 PM

Sarah LNU

'''Sarah''', born 7 June 1640, died about 1690. She was seven years old at the time of her father's return to England and twenty three years old and probably married when he returned to New England. '''She lived in England until her death, leaving five children, of whom there is no record.''' Source: [https://www.google.com/books/edition/The_Woodbridge_Record/9glgAAAA... The Woodbridge Record]

5/4/2020 at 4:30 PM

By the way, this is the top of the Dill tree.

Capt. George Dill

Any ancestry is unproven.

5/5/2020 at 3:43 PM

Bob Barris See Erica's comment above.

5/5/2020 at 4:33 PM

So we are OK with Capt George Dill ?

5/5/2020 at 5:38 PM

I just double checked. Origins of wife Abigail Hanniford look unproven. He has the correct children according to Savage and The Great Migration Project.

“ Dell, or Dill, George, Salem, 1639, rem. to Boston, freem. 1651, by w. Abigail had John, b. Oct. 1645; Samuel, 31 Aug. 1647; Joseph, Feb. 1650; and Benjamin, 27 Apr. 1652. He was an active merch. d. abroad, prob. in 1654, for an imperfect will of3 Nov. 1653, recites that he was bound from Eng. to Ireland, thence to Virg. etc. He had good amt. of prop. Winth. II. 312. His wid. m. 8 Nov. 1655, John Hanniford. JOSEPH, Boston, mariner, prob. s. of the preced. had, 1678, w. Eliz. PETER, Chelmsford 1691. Volume 2 page 34. Savage, John. Genealogical Dictionary of New England Settlers.”

—-

I used to be related. :)

5/5/2020 at 5:42 PM

Anderson caveats son John Dill b 1645

“ John b Oct 1645 (Claimed by some authors but not named in probate records at all)”

Showing all 10 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion