King David of Israel - My relationship

Started by Judith Nathan Elam on Tuesday, August 25, 2020
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Related Projects:

Showing all 24 posts
8/25/2020 at 3:52 AM

A few months ago King David was my 100th g-grandfather. Today I see heโ€™s been โ€œupgraded โ€œ to my 90th g-grandfather. Whatโ€™s going on!๐Ÿคฃ

Put it this way - ANY genealogical connection you find to King David, is going to be FALSE. There is NOT a single connection that has a reasonable chance of being correct.

King David lived around 120 generations ago. Yet all of these lines are 80-100 generations long. The historical explanation for this is that sometime in the medieval period it became very fashionable among European Nobility to "find proof" of genealogical connections to the glory of earlier periods. So they hired monks to do research, and they simply fabricated these lines.

Shmuel-Aharon Kam (Kahn / ืฉืžื•ืืœ-ืื”ืจืŸ ืงื (ืงืืŸ
#1, & Your proof to ALL of what you said?
#2, when you emphasized ANY, Did you mean, ANY "& ALL", OR Mostly: [like 89-99%]!?
Thanks ๐Ÿ˜Š for all.

Judith Nathan Elam, I meant to finish up by saying, that considering that these lines are fictional, the Curator team is constantly cutting these lines. In many cases it is not too hard at what point to cut these lines.

Private User
8/25/2020 at 7:22 AM

The Lion of the Tribe of Judah, from King David, there would only be two candidates having surving offspriongs until today, King Solomon , and Nathan .

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nathan_(son_of_David)

After 3000 years, they (one or both profiles above) would be ancestors to most living people of today in the world, but it would be impossible to prove, but still, we can assume that we all are decendants from King David with or without lineage to back it up. The probability for this being true is predominant higher than the probability for it to be untrue, knowledge of this should be enough and any attempt of creating false lines here on Geni forward into our millenia stopped as there is no way of proving any continuous surviving line.

ืžื•ื”ืจ"ืจ ื—ื™ื™ื ืžืื™ืจ ืืœื™-ื”ื• Schechter/Shefer proof for what?
That King David lived 120 generations ago?
Time passed:
* According to Jewish sources King David lived around 906-836 BCE (or 1010โ€“970 BCE according to the academics). So that's around 3000 years ago.
* A generation is the time from a person's birth until the birth of their children. So the average generation is about 25 years.

3000 / 25 = 120

While obviously SOME generations can obviously be much shorter or longer (teen birth or late marriage), these all even out when doing an average, especially when considering how long a period it has been.

In over 30 years of interest in Biblical genealogy, I have never seen such a line that was nearly long enough. The "traditional" Jewish lines are even worse. They often jump tens of generations in multiple places. For example King David to Raban Gamliel to RASHI.

Private User
8/25/2020 at 7:46 AM

Ancient lineages of any kind should by definition be held to ancient, not modern, genealogical standards.

8/25/2020 at 8:34 AM

Always unbelievable geni connections
King David is my 86th great grandfather. Possibly I already had previous different messages? I don't remember them. Geni connects me with soooo many people.Simple people, illustrious people. Interesting, surprising,astounding. But .... I feel more comfortable remaining " a simple person",in awe.

8/25/2020 at 3:38 PM

Shmuel-Aharon Kam (Kahn / ืฉืžื•ืืœ-ืื”ืจืŸ ืงื (ืงืืŸ if any connection to King David is false, you should identify where the impossible connections are, and cut them loose. Isolate this tree -- not as fictional, though. I've added a new isolation description, "Tree is known to have no certifiable connections" -- that's the one I'd like to see you use.

Lord Bruce Ross Myers your message is a violation of our Terms of Use at https://www.geni.com/company/terms_of_use (abusive language towards other users). Please don't do that again or we will have to restrict your account.

8/26/2020 at 12:09 AM

i don't think you can be sure about a conection to some one so many generations ago. it is all a matter of family tradition

8/26/2020 at 9:55 AM

Shmuel-Aharon Kam (Kahn / ืฉืžื•ืืœ-ืื”ืจืŸ ืงื (ืงืืŸ Saying that David lived 120 generations ago by counting years is huge leap of logic. You can't compare the generation average from today to a thousand years ago. We don't even know the birth order or age of parent of descendants, and big differences in age between father and mother were very common in the past, so men could father a child anywhere from 13 to 70 or so. Using an average is illogical in this instance. The number 120 is meaningless and proof of nothing. Best you can do is figure a range, say 75 ~ 150, which is the average of 40 and 20 respectively.

Private User
8/26/2020 at 10:19 AM

I checked the average age in a 60 generations from year 0 until me, and landed on 33 years in average, 3/4 was men, so it could actually fit, (holding in mind that women also were more fertile up in the age toward their fifties compared to 40 today), still there could just as well be some missing generation in between. Does it really matter? It's plausible and so will all others lines probably be that goes through almost 2000 years. Add another 1000 years and the gap would certainly be much higher. Somewhere between 90-120 generations for 3000 years is plausible, lower than 90 is not.

8/26/2020 at 11:05 AM

The current geni generation count to David is around 100 (Including the ~20 missing generations.) Divided by 3000 years gives the average age of 30, which correlates with the average child. Very plausible.

(Using a 25 year average for generations is incorrect BTW. The average child is born at 30 or later because children are usually born between 25 and 40, so the average is at least 30.)

8/27/2020 at 1:06 AM

Definitely related I can see the resemblance in my children

Mike Stangel these "connections" are VERY popular. So they keep on getting re-added. This has been the case for YEARS. It's hard enough handling the new duplicate trees as it is (or the old ones that suddenly pop-up). The ones starting at the "top" of the tree are easiest to find. Trying to catch people merging in anywhere along the 100 generations, and 3000-4000 profiles, is just too much. I AM slowly going through the tree and locking relations on the MP. But doing that, I always first verify that what is there is correct and sourced. SLOW work. I'm glad you added that option. I'll use it in the future. If I could, I would isolate the ENTIRE Biblical Tree, but at any moment in time, there are probably at least a dozen connections. Impasse.

Josh Pfeifer,
1. the average life-span through most of the last 2000 (even as late as the 18th century) was brutally short. In the 40s (even if "nobility" lived somewhat longer). This too is well documented (for standards of the periods). So my claim stands. Yes, there WERE people who had children at 70, and others at 15 ("women" at those young ages, had much less chance of surviving giving birth). But you have to admit that these were exceptions, and cancel each other out when doing an... average.

2. As to possible YOUNGER ages of becoming a parent, that only makes my case stronger, as it increases the number of generations. But as I said, we're talking averages.

3. Also we have many more or less documented genealogies going back 500-700 years, and these support a generation of around 25 years. It's the HUGE leap in the middle that's the problem.

4. Lastly, we KNOW these genealogies were faked and around when. It was literally a question of being "fashionable" among two-bit kings and nobles who wanted to increase their self-importance by making these claims.

Private User,
for most of European history, life was brutally SHORT. By the age of 50, they were DEAD. By the age of 20 they were typically already married with children.

As I said we do have some genealogies that cover various periods in the 2000 years, they also support these averages. So it's the "lines" that try to connect the ENTIRE length of these that are suspect.

If anyone would like to propose a line across these periods, I can try and get Curators who specialize in LATER periods to review them. They are outside my areas of knowledge. But I can guarantee that we have seen them all before.

It is often easy to point out were the gaps are. Where you have a parent 300-500 years earlier than a "son". Right there you have 20 generations. There are some lines that have 2-3 shorter gaps.

For example, there are lines "connecting" the Irish and Scottish Kings, they go through periods of many generations, were the intermediate kings are known to be mythical.

If you look through the list of Discussions on King David this has already been debated dozens of times.

8/28/2020 at 8:03 AM

Here is a good example of the generational issues that were mentioned above. My closest line to King David goes through Mar Ukba ben Judah, 31th Exilarch. An unknown 10 generations that is supposed to connect the Meisels family with the Exilarchs and through them back to David. The issue is that these supposed 10 generations span 500 years, which is just too long a time period for 10 generations to cover.

8/28/2020 at 9:20 AM

:-(

Private User
8/28/2020 at 10:43 AM

Smaller gaps could easily be covered by use of N.N. profiles, perhaps even with unknown gender. Example, you have X, you know that Y was his grandson, the person between them is missing, use N.N., if you don't know if this N.N: is a man or woman, don' set gender. It should and can be valid, if the source are correct. This can be extended for perhaps a couple of generation, if, it is possible to determine the lenght of the gap, example, 150 years, the two known profile X to Y is related in a straight line, X died 150 years before Y, ca. max 5 generation in total between them, = 5 N.N. created to put them together. This method could be useful in some cases, to get around that otherwise one person would have to be a hundreds of years old.

8/31/2020 at 3:24 AM

Im looking for my Alder Jewish history to see if it goes to King david? As far as I've got to is Israel Alder born 1816 in Birkshire England. We cant go back any further

If anyone has anything it would be awesome to find His roots

Jean Stanley

8/31/2020 at 6:15 AM

I just did a geni search this is one thing I found, he is connected to
my freemason lineage.

http://www.countryliving.coop/departments/jonathan-alder-indian-cap...

Jonathan Alder High School is an NCA accredited public high school located in Plain City, Ohio. It is the only high school in the Jonathan Alder Local School District. The school, as well as the district, are named after Jonathan Alder, the first white settler in Madison County.

Showing all 24 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion