Major John Lewis, I - Sources for this profile

Started by Susanne Floyd - on and off the grid on Thursday, September 3, 2020
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Related Projects:

Showing 1-30 of 65 posts
9/3/2020 at 5:56 AM

Thanks to Erica Howton for disconnecting incorrect parents of Maj. John Lewis, of “Chemokins”. What is needed on this profile are some real bio and sources. Wikitree has a well-sourced profile, it seems to me that could be of help.

https://www.wikitree.com/wiki/Lewis-239

I would like to make updates to this profile based on the Wikitree profile sources (going through them as I post for verification). Any objections? John Lewis is my 9th great grandfather and so I have a deep interest in correct information. Thanks, Susanne

9/3/2020 at 6:47 AM

There seems to be a conflict over the parents of John Lewis. Perhaps there were two men by the name of John Lewis at the time. Wikitree notes that this John Lewis parents were John Lewis and Catherine Phillip Lewis.

"The Virginia Project" on Wikitree, which manages the Major John Lewis profile has had some of these same questions/discussion the past several years along with the same connected and disconnected parentage. They are trying to be as responsible as we in finding the truth. Let's see where more research goes. We may end up leaving John Lewis as "an immigrant from Wales" which is what he seems to be (whether with Robert or John as father) and note possible parents in the "About" section until more can be determined. I suspect there could be two men with the name John Lewis living about the same time, given some of the conflicting notations.

9/3/2020 at 7:31 AM

The Primary manager on the profile is a DNA confirmed cousin on my paternal side.
I see on the profile, there is a "document" that simply says Findagrave memorial but I do not see a link.
Do we know where he is buried? I have been following the profile.
Presently it is showing as married into my Terrell.

9/3/2020 at 7:31 AM

That should say my MATERNAL side.

9/3/2020 at 7:32 AM

The Wikitree link shows my relationship as 11th great niece so there is some work to be done to connect the families.

9/3/2020 at 7:35 AM

FamilySearch says he is grandfather. Is this a Duplicate perhaps?

9/3/2020 at 7:38 AM

Yes. Him:
John Lewis, of Henrico County
Erica Howton please look?!
Thank you!

9/3/2020 at 7:46 AM

FamilySearch is showing a version of her that has her as daughter of Miller rather than Warner.
I will merge them and start a Discussion under her tab.
https://www.familysearch.org/tree/person/sources/MSX1-NT9
https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/77192418/john-lewis

9/3/2020 at 7:49 AM

Actually, no. I won't merge. I think these may be two different ones after all. Erica Howton, please check when you have time?
Thank you for bringing attention to him/them, Susanne Floyd - on and off the grid! Likely another line you and I share!

9/3/2020 at 2:33 PM

Maj. John Lewis, of “Chemokins” - don’t do any merging. I will isolate dups instead. Do not use tertiary sources such as FindaGrave, there are articles in Virginia History Magazine and Willam and Mary Quarterly. Through JSTOR. Go very slowly and building the overview first. Do not merge without making sure the immigrant generation is MPd and detailed. I did a huge Lewis cleanup yesterday, it is amazing how much bad info is out there.

9/3/2020 at 3:33 PM

Susanne Floyd - on and off the grid I do not agree with the family showing at https://www.wikitree.com/wiki/Lewis-239. The narrative is good and the wife correct but the child list is unpruned. Maven, Angus and I only have the two children - Edward and John Lewis the Councillor.

9/3/2020 at 3:40 PM

Maj. John Lewis, of “Chemokins” Has a fictional Wife - Elizabeth "Isabella" Yard did not exist, she’s a mashup of Isabella Miller Yard and Elizabeth Warner.

He has the dates for the MP, unsourced parents, and different children.

Source each of the children. Also there are Cherew notes which removes him the Warner Hall line (or the notes need moving - I will copy them here:
—-

Wynn descendant and neighbor to Wynn property owners of Wiliam Williams, just across the river from the Nottoway Cheraw Ann Moore's planter spouse's grant from Rice Hooe 1 when his headright. This Lewis is the backbone of the Waggamaw Parish Lewis Plantation, the fulcrum to the supply chain from New Hanover Old Cheraw and those on the front lines in the Colonial War and the Cherokee Campaign and then the Revolution War. See Source and Media sections for deeds and wills.

——

Because if attached sources this cannot be arbitrarily merged into the MP.

9/3/2020 at 3:55 PM

I agree. It is a mash up! I have read off and on all day on the Lewis clan and I don't agree with the Wikitree link either - especially if you look at their profile comments at the bottom. Sounds like they are wrestling with some of the same issues.

No, I don't think they need merging, but not sure which is which.
I have found very wrong info on the Find a Grave profiles. I don't think that someone in Massachusetts was married to someone in Virginia. Of parents, looks like the Robert was in Mass and the wife in VA on Find a Grave.

9/3/2020 at 4:11 PM

I’m getting clarity, it helps that I’ve merged some of these profiles a hundred times.

This is the Hugh Lewis line, nothing to do with the Warner Hall Lewises. It leads to the Floyd, Hughes and Davis families of Amherst County, Virginia.

Capt. Hugh ap Lewis

Dates need cleanup but the tree overall is decent. Not great, because no-record-Virginia, but decent.

9/3/2020 at 4:23 PM

I have always understood that Floyd and Lewis families intersected for years. Any clarity would be appreciated. I think it is like a blender got hold of the whole bunch.

9/3/2020 at 4:28 PM

Hugh ap Lewis is missing children according to notes in his profile. That would be the logical thing to do - add them.

9/3/2020 at 4:40 PM

Thanks Cheley. If anyone can find a URL that would be great.

I’ve attached homeless Lewises to Lewis

Fill in notes FIRST then merge into correct tree position.

9/3/2020 at 5:04 PM

Yes, I remember this from a few years back. It’s out on JSTOR / archive.org. Nice drawing of the tombstone. Will have to find it again; also see if DNA studies have brought further info.

—-

I’ve separated the “Waggamaw River” line

NN Lewis, of Waggamaw River

9/3/2020 at 5:08 PM

Attached children to Lewis

9/3/2020 at 5:25 PM

Yes, when we get to Wales, Anne Brannen will be needed.

Right now we need understanding that this is the Warner Hall line of Lewises. Not Robert of Gloucester. Not John and Elizabeth Lake, or John and Catherine somebody,

—-

The descendants of John "the Immigrant" Lewis are the Warner Hall family of Lewises.

John Lewis was born 1594 in Monmouthshire, Wales. He grew up on one of this Lewis family's holdings in Monmouthshire, the easternmost county of Wales. He died 21 August 1657 on the family plantation and was buried at Old Lewis Cemetery, King and Queen Co VA. The cemetery is now located in New Kent Co VA and was found in 1948. Son of Lewis Prichard (Rycketts) and Catherine Morgan.

Married:

On 11/21/1630 in Monmouthshire, Wales to Lydia Lewis b. c. 1610 in Wales. John and family lived in Wales until about 1653 when they immigrated to York Co VA.

Children of Lydia and John Lewis include:

Maj. William Lewis Born c. 1631 Monmouthshire, Wales Died c. 1660 Chemokins, New Kent Co VA without issue

Maj. John Lewis b. 12/15/1633 Liantilio, Pertholey, Monmouthshire, Wales

Edward Lewis Born 1636 Monmouthshire, Wales and Died before 6/1/1698 Richmond Co VA. He married 8/21/1657 in New Kent Co VA to Mary Morgan b. c. 1638 in Wales.

9/3/2020 at 6:07 PM

Cheley - I had helped work it out on Geni years ago (see the Master profiles). But new profiles and merges have resulted in cleanup needed and erroneous information being re - introduced.

9/3/2020 at 6:49 PM

I have a question....

Why don't I show up under Colonel John 'Councillor' Lewis 's autosomal dna? He is my 7th great grandfather.

9/3/2020 at 7:24 PM

Hello Cheley....my "Mayflower" cousin.

9/3/2020 at 7:33 PM

Yah, our mission - should we accept - is to MAKE SURE the different Lewis families don’t get stuck together. They’re like magnets! So we have to conquer and divide in small groups, and by that. I mean say 3 generations at a time,

This is my understanding also:

Col. JOHN (The Immigrant) AP LEWIS - Kit# 230641st Generation: Col. JOHN (The Immigrant) AP LEWIS, b.)Abt. 1594 in Monmouthshire, Wales, d.) August 21, 1657 in New Kent Co.,VA. M.) Lydia UNKNOWN.

2nd Generation: Maj. JOHN LEWIS, b.)Abt. 1633 in Monmouthshire, Wales, d.) Abt. 1690 in Chemokins, Gloucester Co. Va. M.) Isabelle Miller b.) August 24, 1640 in Gloucester Co. VA d.)February 09, 1702/03 Gloucester Co. VA

.3rd Generation: THOMAS LEWIS, Sr. b.) Abt. 1674 in New Kent Co. VA d.) 1725 In Prince George Co., VA. [DOUBLE CHECK]

4th Generation: THOMAS LEWIS, Jr., b.) Abt. 1693 in King George Co. VA d.) Abt. 1714 in King and Queen Co. VA M.) Susan Unknown.

—-

Not the Edward of the Van line.

Not the Robert of Gloucester line.

Not the Capt Hugh ap Lewis life.

So far, so good?

9/3/2020 at 7:35 PM

Nope I need more on

.3rd Generation: THOMAS LEWIS, Sr. b.) Abt. 1674 in New Kent Co. VA d.) 1725 In Prince George Co., VA. [DOUBLE CHECK]

9/3/2020 at 8:02 PM

Sorry, I had to grade a while and teach a class. Wow, lots to sift through. Glad I launched a discussion. Thanks to all. I'm glad some have clarity. My brain is fried.

9/3/2020 at 8:15 PM

You definitely know too much and it’s over whelming. :)

Untangling is about simplicity. And great stories.

9/3/2020 at 8:22 PM

My Lewis line...so far...is still in order.

Repeat.... Why am I not on Colonel John 'Councillor' Lewis 's autosomal dna?

9/3/2020 at 8:38 PM

Too far back for at DNA on Geni. You’d have to look up how far back it propagates (generations) but surely not to 1669. Y DNA goes 10 gens.

Please take a look at the children attached to placeholder Lewis & see if any can be given to parents.

Showing 1-30 of 65 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion