Keziah Coleman (Faulk) - Need a curator please and thank you

Started by Cynthia Curtis, A183502, US7875087 on Friday, November 27, 2020
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Showing 61-90 of 144 posts

Done for the day.
Made a note on the profiles for Keziah two Coleman wives and the two Keziah Jernigans

daughters of each of the Keziah Colemans who each apparently also married Jernigan men...
The NA line may need more documentation to keep separate but these should all become clearer and be MP'd once their family groups are complete.

Thank you!

I am looking at this.

Thank you, Faustine Darsey!

Lurana Coleman
appear to be the same as well:
Lurana Coleman

Pension payments made to a Theophilus Coleman. Maybe we can compare the details with the reported facts in our pension application. There may actually be two Theophilus Coleman veterans of the Revolution (with just the one showing up on the DAR website).

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3QSQ-G9WB-9G46?i=305&am...

Marriage record for Theophilus Coleman and Abigail Robison (Stokes County, NC). Theophilus and Abigail Robison married August 13, 1801.

Our Columbus County Theophilus Coleman and Keziah Fauck married in 1786, according to her affidavit. I doubt he had two wives at the same time, so I doubt they are the same man:

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3Q9M-CSZJ-DX43?i=39&amp...

Right. And most bigamists changed their name/had an alias.
Thank you, Debra!

You're welcome, Cynthia. I'm looking at some interesting history that has Theophilus Coleman of Virginia "disappearing" during the War of 1812, with Abigail "Robertson" (from Surry, NC) subsequently settling in Illinois.

"In 1818, with her family of four children, Mrs. Coleman removed to Cumberland County, Kentucky, and in the fall of 1820 to Sangamon County, Illinois, settling on Richland Creek in what is now Salisbury Township."

https://archive.org/details/historicalencyclopedi02bate/page/732/mo...

Here's another version of her story, naming all four of her children:

COLEMAN, MRS. ABIGAIL, whose maiden name was Robertson, was born in Surry county, N.C., and was married there to Theophilus Coleman, who was born in Virginia. They had four children in North Carolina. Mr. Coleman became a soldier in the war with England in 1812. He never returned, and his family never knew his fate. Mrs. Coleman, with her four children, moved in 1815 to Cumberland county, Ky., and to Sangamon county, Illinois, arrived in the fall of 1820 on Richland creek, in what is now Salisbury township.

Of her four children —

SARAH, born Jan. 6, 1801, in North Carolina, married in Kentucky to Joshua Crow, came with her mother to Sangamon county. They moved to Cass county, where she died many years ago, leaving seven children.

ELIZABETH, born May 19, 1804, in North Carolina, married John G. Purvines. See his name.

JANE, born Jan. 28, 1806, in North Carolina, married George K. Hamilton. See his name. He died, and she married Alexander C. Purvines. See his name.

JOHN R., born Feb. 29, 1808, in North Carolina, married Nancy Harris, had two children in Sangamon county, and moved to Crawford county. Mo., where they had four children, and Mrs. Coleman died. He married again, had four children, and is now a widower and resides in Missouri.

Mrs. Abigail Coleman was married in Sangamon county in 1824, to Robert Hamilton. They had two children in Sangamon county —

MAHALA married Mr. Rice, had one child, and Mr. Rice died. She married James Pease, had three children, and he died. Mrs. Mahala Pease resides near Cuba, Missouri.

JAMES C. married in Missouri, enlisted in a Union regiment from that State, and died in the army.

Mrs. Abigail Hamilton died in Sangamon county, and Robert Hamilton died in Arkansas.

https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/18366332/abigail-hamilton

https://archive.org/details/historyofearlyse00inpowe/page/208/mode/...

His DAR profile has no information about his death. But their daughter, Jane Purvines, is there.

https://services.dar.org/public/dar_research/search_adb/default.cfm

Illinois history is actually quite inter
Folks kept moving westward….
Thank you for working on these!
I will revisit tomorrow and perhaps we can solidify some family groups.
I do hope Debbie Debbie Gambrell will be able to participate as at least one branch is hers for sure

*interesting lol

Here’s the other Keziah Jernigan Keziah Jernigan

Profiles Mentioned:

Kissiah Coleman (Faulk)

Abigail Coleman Hamilton (Robertson)

Lourana / Lorena Coleman (Faulk)

Theophilus Coleman

Dempsey Coleman

Allie Strickland (Coleman)

Theopholus Coleman, Jr.

Keziah Jernigan (Coleman)

Kiziah Coleman (Faulk)

Theophilus Coleman

Lourana / Lorena Coleman (Faulk) -- was merged
same nameds:
Kissiah Coleman (Faulk)
Kiziah Coleman (Faulk)
Theophilus Coleman
Theophilus Coleman

These are two or more different families. Two different Theophilus Colemans (one from Virginia who married Abigail Robison in August of 1801 in Stokes County, NC, and had resided in Surrey County, NC, during the Revolution (7th regiment) and is listed in the Nash County, NC census for 1790. He disappeared during the War of 1812 and no one knows what became of him. But I'm sure if we check the military records, we'll find him in there.

https://www.carolana.com/NC/Revolution/revolution_nc_seventh_regime....

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:33S7-9YY8-S57Y?i=6&...

The other ("our", ie. my ancestors' acquaintance, neighbor, and/or possible relative) Theophilus was born in Edgecombe, Co., NC, according to his own testimony. He further stated that he and his father relocated to what later became known as Columbus County, married in 1786 and had a large family of children there with wife, Keziah, remained in Columbus County until he died in 1843 leaving a will mentioning his wife and naming many if not all of their children.

Theophilus of Columbus County is mentioned in the history of Edgecombe County as being a soldier (2nd Lieutenant) with their outfit, a minute-men militia. All which aligns with his official statement found within his and Keziah's pension claims filed in Columbus Co., NC.

"On November 28, 1776, Green Bell was appointed captain by Congress, John Bryant, Jr., lieutenant, and Theophilus Coleman second lieutenant."

https://archive.org/details/historyofedgecom00turn/page/n107/mode/2...

In the 1790 US census for Bladen (later Columbus) County, on page (or image) 5 of the document, we find Theophilus "Coalsman" along with John (x2) Coalsman, Moses Coalsman, and a man named Coalman Niles. It's an eleven-page document, and that was as far as I got.

On the same page nearby we find several "Folks" families, a name which is scattered throughout, along with many names found in my family tree (Hilburn, Elkins, Powers, Nobles, etc.).

And my favorite surprise discovery: "Indignation Flowers" (next to Goldsbury Flowers, lol).

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:33S7-9YY8-SLQ2?i=4&...

We have two different Kissiah/Keziah Faulks(?). Different generations, the younger one (born 1785) married our already well-documented Dempsey Coleman and is named in his will along with their children.

In 1850 Mississippi (Smith County) we find Arick (age 49), Levi (28) and Keziah (65) together. Arick and Levi are Dempsey's children.

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:S3HT-6SK3-3GT?i=70&...

The older Faulk(?) lady married our Theophilus Coleman who drew a pension and died leaving a will in Columbus County. Theophilus's wife, Keziah, stated they were married in 1786, and listed all of their surviving children (many were grown and married in 1843, and Theophilus himself had been quite aged).

I couldn't say for certain at this point, if either one was actually born a Faulk. Finding proof for it would be difficult, although it's certainly possible and other genealogists believe so. But regardless, Dempsey's wife and Theophilus's wife were two different people.

The Theophilus from Virginia was married in Stokes County, NC, to Abigail Robison (herself from Surry Co., NC), with their own four children. Abigail migrated out of the state, remarried and had two more children with Robert Hamilton. I find no evidence (yet, anyway) of Abigail ever filing for a military widow's pension.

Judging from the records I've reviewed, it was fairly common for widows of pension-drawing veterans to have their claims denied, at least initially. And coming up with the required documentation, for an elderly person who may frequently be disabled or someone burdened with caring for children, can be awfully daunting, a real hardship. Those who succeeded are to be admired, as many of them fought for literally years while suffering in poverty and poor health.

I have a feeling Keziah didn't live long after her husband's death. Asa Coleman (age45, born 1805) in the Madison County, Mississippi census for 1850, stated he was born in Mississippi. I don't see how that is possible but it's a common error, so I'd take it with a grain of salt. I haven't studied the family of Theophilus Coleman of Columbus County much further than what I've reported here already. If I had more time I would try to find out what happened to his wife and all the children and grandchildren, following his death.

I could go on and on, but I'm satisfied that they are not the same person. I'm seeing two distinctly different Theophilus's and two different Keziahs or as spelled in Dempsey's will "Kissiah" (which I pronounce, Keesha, lol). I realize Keziah is the most common spelling. And wills are notorious for misspelling the names of family members. So I wouldn't be concerned if it got changed back to how it was before.

I also discovered another Dempsey, yesterday while checking out Theophilus's will. So...a lot to keep straightened out. But no more than usual, imho.

Lastly I simply can't comment at this point on the two 'Keziahs nee Coleman' (or, Mrs. Jernigans), as I've yet to see any proof or compelling evidence for the existence and marriages of either of them. But then neither have I gone looking for them, so I probably just missed it. The latter may show up somewhere in the county marriages records, which I'll browse through again later today. I often see all of these surnames and many people of interest, among those pages. Columbus County is wonderful in that they were careful to record the names of parents for both brides and grooms.

Okay, I do see Keziah (Coleman) Jernigan among the children of our Theophilus of Columbus Co. Sorry about that. I don't know about the duplicate, though. I'll have to go back and look for it.

The pension app also says that "Keziah Coleman died August 17, 1850", which of course had slipped my mind.

I found it. Keziah Coleman age "95" (85 would have been more accurate, since she was supposedly 78 years old in 1844) on the Columbus Co., NC census with daughters, Elizabeth, Rhoda, and Anna. Plus one grandson, James (age 17).

The census is dated September 1850, but I'm confident it's her. The census taker miscalculated by ten years. I estimate her age at time of marriage was about 21 years old.

It appears that these three daughters remained single, so the grandson, James Coleman, is probably the child of one of her sons.

(There is no "Asa" Coleman listed among her children on the pension application, so I don't know where that came from. Or did I miss something again?)

Nearby on the same page is Keziah's and Theophilus's daughter Sarah (Sally) with husband Charles Jernigan and several children.

Amos Coleman (age 79) with wife Winnifred (67), likely related, are right next door.

On the following page is Ann J. Coleman (b. 1805) with children Dempsey (b. 1849, so too young even to witness Theophilus's will), Henry and Caroline Matilda. I remember seeing these names recently (Caroline Matilda stands out in my memory).

That's as far as I've gotten in this 106 page document. But imho it's enough to prove, together with the Smith County, MS, 1850 census I linked above, that the two Keziahs were not the same person. In case there was any residual doubt.

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:S3HT-DT1Q-D86?i=68&...

I'm preparing to take another look at the county marriages, hoping to finding Keziah (Coleman) Jernigan among all the Colemans and Jernigans I know are in there.

I'll check Theophilus's will, as "Asa" may be listed there. I meant to write them down for reference, but maybe someone has already done so.

Alright, here it is and it's a long list:

Patty Jernigan
Elizabeth Coleman
Ava Faulk
Aley Strickland
ASA Coleman
Sally Jernigan
Kezziah Jernigan
Theophilus Coleman
Rhoda Coleman
Anne Coleman
Moses Coleman
Mary Coleman

Twelve children (9 daughters, 3 sons) named, and his "beloved wife" mentioned, in his will.

Private User they (Wikitree, Geni profile) are saying he predeceased his parents
Maybe look for naming patterns w/the children? Grandchildren in wills? I will not be actively working on this but am happy to help

Wow! Keziah is 95 in the 1850 census
Love that

I'm a little confused about Theophilus of Virginia joining up with the 7th Regiment in Edgecombe Co. according to the DAR

However Theophilus of Edgecombe Co. apparently did say that he and his father moved to what is currently Columbus Co. before the War, and that he joined up with the Bladen County militia. He gave them a lot of details about his service.

And I found another pension application, this one by Charles and Sabra Powers, dated November 11, 1834, wherein Charles named our Theophilus Coleman of Columbus Co. as one of his witnesses, claiming they were both in the Bladen Co. militia.

http://revwarapps.org/r8412.pdf

I've been looking through marriages without much luck. I'm a bit tired though, so I may try again later.

Cynthia Curtis, A183502, US7875087 okay, but please refresh my memory. You say it is said that, "he predeceased his parents". Who are you referring to?

"Maybe look for naming patterns w/the children? Grandchildren in wills?"

Again, for whom? I'm lost now, sorry.

Anyway, I now feel quite clear now about the three sets of duplicates you presented: Theophilus Coleman, Keziah (Faulk) Coleman, and Keziah (Coleman) Jernigan.

My conclusions are:

1. The two Theophilus Colemans under discussion here were two completely different individuals. (one married Abigail Robertson, the other married Keziah Faulk).

2. The two Keziah (Faulk) Colemans were two completely different individuals. (big age difference, and one married Theophilus Coleman while the other married Dempsey Coleman).

Those were fairly simple and straightforward.

With regard to the two Keziah (Coleman) Jernigans, there are some minor issues. But this we know:

1. Theophilus Coleman and Keziah Faulk definitely had a daughter named Mrs. Keziah Jernigan, according to her own mother's sworn affidavit. We only need to find out which Mr. Jernigan she married. She was married by 1843, so we should look for a census of 1840 through perhaps 1860 in a logical location, which includes them together with children as a family group.

2. Dempsey Coleman and "Kissiah" Faulk -- did they really also have a daughter named Mrs. Keziah Jernigan? It seems dubious, but I certainly could have overlooked something. I don't see it and there are no sources attached that I'm aware of, to support the claim.

So personally, in the absence of proof I would be inclined to disconnect her from Dempsey and his wife. And then I would simply move her over to merge with the daughter of Theophilus and Keziah.

Well I've exhausted every avenue I can think of at the moment, trying to find Keziah (Coleman) Jernigan.

Asa

Oh thanks, Cynthia, that's very helpful. And I think I see it now; in the will his father wrote, "I heretofore advanced to my son ASA "and heirs"..."

The "and heirs" part is not seen with the other children. So now it makes perfect sense, and I would assume that the Asa Coleman in 1850 Madison Co., Mississippi really was born in that state after all.

Btw I added a link to their brother, Moses' overview, showing him and wife, Elizabeth in the 1850 census for Columbus Co.. He and his wife were both age 41 and apparently childless. So they would have been born ca. 1809. (Unless of course it turns out to be yet another duplicate Coleman, lol.)

So far I get that Dempsey's widow and sons eventually migrated to Smith Co., MS by 1850 at the latest. I believe she kept her Coleman married name too. But I'd be mildly surprised if she never remarried, considering some of her children were quite young. Arick was grown when Dempsey passed away, however. So he probably stepped up to help support the family.

And on the other hand, Theophilus's widow and many if not all of their children remained in Columbus County awhile longer, because I find several of them in the 1850 census there.

(I should have realized the Asa in MS wasn't their son, sorry about that. And thank you for setting me straight, I really appreciate it. Obviously I had not even looked at his profile, or read the will carefully enough. And I never imagined there'd be two Asa Colemans, lol. Asa just doesn't seem like such a common name to me.)

Is Theophilus Coleman ‘s family group (parents, spouses, children) complete?

The only part I can comment on is their children, because I'm not knowledgeable enough about the parents and siblings of Theophilus Sr. and wife Keziah Faulk. Or about the spouses of any of their children.

With regard to their children, the only problem I see is that we are missing "Patty Jernigan" as she is first listed among the children named in his will.

So between the will and the pension application, I count a total of 13 children altogether.

I've got more now, with regard to Theophilus's siblings. Based on this source, citing father, Moses's will dated May 25, 1799, along with another reliable source for further corroboration by a genealogist, the verified children of Moses Coleman and wife Luraina:

* John Coleman, b. 1760

* Theophilus Coleman, b. 1761, d. 1845, m. Keziah, left a will in Columbus County NC 9 July 184[3] Will Book A p23. Descendants given below from wills of Columbus County, NC.

* Amos Coleman, married Winnifred

* Phillip Coleman married Sarah Stephens. Sarah was daughter of William Stephens who was granted land east of Fair Bluff in 1796. William Stephens was son of Barnabas and Charity Brown Stephens of Bladen County, NC.

* Moses Coleman, III, b. c1765 [based on year of first marriage -25] Moses married first c1790 Treasy Cohoon (mother of his children),Treasy was the daughter of William Cohoon, Sr. andhis wife, Sarah. Treasy had a brother named William Cohoon, Jr. John Cohoon sold land in Edgecombe County to William Cohoon, Sr. and was probably related to this Cohoon family as well. Moses married 2nd c1809 Mary Unknown, widow of Simon Cahoon Moses III went to Kentucky

* Dempsey Coleman, b. c1778, d. 1823, married Keziah Faulk, left a will in Columbus County NC May 1823 Will Book A p48

* Henry Coleman, b. c1780

* Lucretia Coleman, b. 1783, d. 1840, married William Hemphill

* Charity Coleman, married Elijah Worley

* Polly Coleman

Rope adds a daughter Mary, leaving out Polly, suggesting she went by both names at different times in her life: Daughters married surnames include Stephens, Faulk, Hemphill, and possibly Norton, Meares, Worley, and Cahoon.

Powel records the family of Moses Coleman of Fair Bluff, North Carolina, as one of the early families settling in the area. He states Moses Coleman came from Edgecombe County. He states: Moses and Luraine Coleman had these children:

* John Coleman

* Theophilus Coleman, an Infantry private in Rev. War

* Amos Coleman

* Phillip Coleman

* Moses Coleman, Jr.

* Dempsey Coleman

* Henry Coleman

* Lucretia Coleman

* Polly Coleman

* Charity Coleman, b. 1797

So the two corroborating sources list essentially the same ten children, the only significant difference being one daughter is named Mary in one list and Polly in the other.

However, on Geni we only have for Theophilus, three brothers (Moses, Dempsey, and Phillip) and one sister (Lucretia). So we're missing John, Amos, Henry, Mary (aka Polly), and Charity.

PS. I didn't realize until now that the Dempsey Coleman we've been discussing was the much younger (16 years) brother of Theophilus, Sr.

But if so, it's a little odd that on Geni both men married a "Keziah Faulk". Not impossible given the age difference between the brothers, but kind of unusual.

However, in this source only Dempsey's wife's maiden name is given. Theophilus's wife is just "Keziah" (presumably of unknown parents).

From what I gather so far, anyway.

Correction, it was author Roper who gave the variation of Polly's name (Mary). The second list is from Powel.

On pp. 76-77 it tells us that our Keziah (Coleman) Jernigan married Elias Jernigan and they resided in Horry County, SC. Their children:

* Luvenia Jernigan b. c 1842 m. Tyler

* Charity Jernigan b. c 1844 m. Grainger

* Samuel Jernigan b. Oct 1847 m. Elizabeth

* Alva Jernigan, b. c 1849 m. Louise

* Julia Ann Jernigan b. c 1853

* John Q. Jernigan b. c 1855

* Elia Jernigan, Jr., b. c 1857

I'm not sure how reliable this source is, but at least it is something to go on. Not only Keziah, but all of the children of Keziah and Theophilus Coleman, Sr. are listed in the same place, apparently.

https://studylib.net/doc/7411895/descendants-of-robert-coleman-of-n

https://archive.org/details/historyofedgecom00turn/page/n107/mode/2... is not likely Theophilus Coleman who was born in 1761. Is he from Edgecombe County? You have done this research and I am just trying to update the profiles.
I have asked for him to be MP'd and relationship locked since his family group appears complete-- wife is seen on the application; children all listed in the will(s) and Asa accounted for in documentation. I am only uncertain of the parents for now but they can wait.
I wish all the Rev War soldiers were in DAR already but sigh...

Adding Moses and Lurana Coleman 's missing children but the folks cited give conflicting dates for them

Showing 61-90 of 144 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion