Query on Thomas Wilken COWEN

Started by Leanne M (Volunteer Curator - Australia) 🇦🇺 on Friday, February 12, 2021
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Showing all 7 posts

Thomas Wilken Cowen, [Convict "Julianna" 1820] has different sites giving different information as to his children

From what I can tell the sites list his "children" as
* Thomas's biological children with an Aboriginal woman named Mary OR
* aboriginal children adopted by Thomas and Mary WALKER
* aboriginal children stolen from their families and raised as children of Thomas and Mary WALKER

spouses
* Mary, {Australian Aboriginal}
* Mary Bleeze - Cowen, Convict "America" 1831

children
* 1834 Mary Ann Bones noted as being aboriginal
* 1837 Thomas George Cowen
* 1839 Joseph Cowen
* 1842 Richard Cowen
* 1844 Sarah Ann Nichols
* 1847 Matilda Ann Smith noted as being aboriginal
* 1849 Henry Cohen

Currently on Geni
* Mary born 1834 is listed as the biological child of Thomas and aboriginal Mary & the adopted child of Thomas and Mary WALKER
* Thomas born 1837 is listed as the biological child of Thomas and Mary WALKER
* Joseph born 1839 has a parent conflict
* Richard born 1842 has a parent conflict
* Sarah Ann born 1844 is listed as the biological child of Thomas and Mary WALKER
* Matilda born 1847 is listed as the biological child of Thomas and aboriginal Mary & the adopted child of Thomas and Mary WALKER
* Henry born 1849 is listed as the biological child of Thomas and Mary WALKER

Questions
* which children have been identified as being aboriginal or non aboriginal

Private User
2/12/2021 at 9:53 PM

I definetely know that Mary Ann (ANN) Cowen was recognised as Aboriginal, as was Matilda Ann (AUNT TIL) Cowen. There is still arguments over Joseph and Richards parentage

Private User

I have put Mary Ann and Matilda as the bio daughter of Thomas and aboriginal Mary and the adopted daughter of Thomas and Immigrant Mary.

I have added a paragraph to his profile overview adding about the speculation of his children. It is a difficult area to know exactly how to show it - such an emotive area and I am mindful of not wanting to show disrespect or upset anyone.

For known aboriginal people I am using a photo of a cultural warning just in case someone adds a photo of them which I know will upset some people,

I am still undecided about putting Australian Aboriginee or Australian Aboriginal or Indigenous Australian or a like term in the suffix or display name. I don’t want to upset anyone but I also want to recognise / respect them as the traditional owners.
Firstly - what is the appropriate term and would we include clan / tribe name
Secondly - will someone be upset that the term is used on or alternatively because it is not.
Thirdly - do we just put it on the “full blood” profiles or on their children / grandchildren - where would we stop? (Sorry I don’t think I have phrased that very well - I know that % of blood is irrelevant to connection to country - but hopefully you will understand what I was meaning)
I would welcome some guidance.

Leanne

Private User
10/17/2022 at 1:50 AM

Leanne Jannette granny Bones mary ann was reconised though the courts just like Granny Bird Tame Phillips

Is there something wrong with Mary Ann Bones profile?

Private User
10/17/2022 at 6:05 AM

No theres not im saying thst it was done though the courts aswell just like granny Birds

Private User
10/17/2022 at 6:11 AM

Melukerdee is granny Bones people

Showing all 7 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion