A Harrelson Family discussion....

Started by Susanne Floyd on Saturday, March 20, 2021
Problem with this page?

Profiles Mentioned:

Related Projects:

Showing 1-30 of 45 posts
3/20/2021 at 4:25 PM

Today this discussion has been going on to determine who Celia Harrelson married. Which Benjamin?

Profiles in question:

Benjamin Harrelson, I.

or perhaps his son Benjamin Harrelson, II

or maybe his cousin who might be him Benjamin Harrelson and is attached to the wrong parents along with his brother Lewis Harralson who should be merged with Lewis H. Harrelson of Marion District, SC

The DAR verifies that Benjamin Harrelson, I had two sons named Lewis H. and Benjamin. We have no verification that I can find but some trees that Joseph Harrelson, brother to Benjamin, Sr. had sons by that name, but If there is, please bring if forth so we can get them all MPd cleaned up and locked either way.

We can then attach Celia Harrelson as a wife to Benjamin Harrelson (and I think it is Benjamin Harrelson II based on the fact that John Smith IV notes in his will that he purchased a piece of property from a Benjamin Harrelson and it is noted Celia married a Benjamin Harrelson in the will. The dates fit her marrying Junior better than Senior.

I care about all of this as Celia is my 6th great aunt and Benjamin I is my 8th great uncle - both in direct lines of mine. If none of this makes sense, try starting with the first discussion launched by Cynthia Curtis, A183502, US7875087 at https://www.geni.com/discussions/228052?msg=1460390. We'd like to get it right if possible, but we think we need input.

3/20/2021 at 4:26 PM

The will of John Smith IV can be found on https://www.wikitree.com/wiki/Space:Genealogy_of_John_Smith_IV%2C_M... below:

On file in the office of Judge of Probate, Marion County, SC, Book I, pages 16-18, also roll number 721, may be found the will of John Smith.It is dated the 10th of June, 1797, and probated the 20th of January, 1802. Persons mentioned in the will are: Wife - Mary Sons - Samuel, John, and James Daughters - Anne Berry, Elizabeth Watson, Mary Buckholts, Sarah Tart, Martha Finklea, Morning Bryant, Cealey Harrelson. The will was witnessed by John Finklea, John Deer, and Peter Kingley. Sons Sam Smith, John Smith and friend Enos Tart were appointed Executors in the will. However, when the will was probated, Peter Kingley evidently had died for John Finklea and John Deer testified that Peter Kingley did witness will; and at the same time qualified Sarah Smith as an executor. On March 30, John Finklea and John Deer qualified John Smith (I think that would be John Smith V) as executor of this will of John Smith. (SEE BELOW FOR FULL TRANSCRIPTION OF WILL).

His Will dated 10 Jun 1797, proved 20 Jan 1802 mentions: Known Children:
Samuel, eldest son-650 a on Gully & Buck Swamp, includes one fifty a purchased from William HARRALSON, & bounty a purch from William ROSEYEAR.

John (d. bef 10 Nov 1824) - 250 a whereon he now lives.

James-750 a purch from Benjamin HARRALSON, Jr on NE side of Buck Swap and 100 a near Catfish Joing E side of a survey of 200 a joins WRAGGS land.

Anne BERRY - 104 a on Catfish whereon Joseph JONES and one BRYANT now lives joining one of another.

Elizabeth WATSON - 300 a bought of COLLINS where KELLY now lives on the Road and 150 a purc of W. STUDDIVANT on the Bay joining Land held by Frederick JONES.

Mary Buckholls (BUCKHOLTS)-100 Pounds St.g and 400 a on the NE side of Little Peedee, purch from John CLARKE.

Sarah TART - 750 a joining to the Plantation & Mill Seat whereon I now live part of the old tract I purch from Evan EVANS.

Martha FINKLEA - 100 a purch of George GIBSON lying in the wat side of Catfish.

Mourning BRYANT - the Plantation and mill seat whereon I now Live containing 100 a prt of tract purch from Evan Evans.

Cealey HARRALSON - 500 a where she now lives.

Executors: Samuel Smith, John Smith and Eaneas Tart. Wit: John Finkly, John Dear, Peter Keighley, Roberta. and possibly Hannah Smith.

Judging from the will, John Smith owned much land and many slaves.It is interesting to note in the will that all real estate deeded to each child was not only described in detail as to boundaries but also from who purchased or how acquired.

In November, 1971, issue of the D.A.R. Magazine, page 829, we find where the grave of Smith, John Sr, three miles north of Marion, SC, had been marked by Blue Savannah Chapter of D.A.R. A land grant to John Smith, Sr., dated October 10, 1778, for Revolutionary Service was supposedly recorded in book YYYY, page 5373, Secretary's Office, Charleston and entered for 400 acres bought by John Smith, Sr., April $, 1773, recorded in Book PPP, page 33, Secretary's Office, Signed by Sir William Bull.This had not been verified.

John Smith's oldest son, Samuel, was born May 1, 1753 and died April, 1843.He married Mollie Rice.Gregg's "History of Old Cheraws", page 245 states that Samuel Smith was commissioned 2nd Lieutenant in Col. Powell's Regiment of Militia, St. Davido parish, 26th Day of September, 1775 and page 269 gives account of a battle between Long Island and Sullivans in which Lt. Smith took part."South Carolina in the Revolution, 1780-1783", by McCrady, page 359, states: "Samuel Smith listed a prisoner on Board the Schooner Pack Horse."Samuel Smith is buried in the old Smith Cemetery about three miles east of Latta, SC.The marker reads:"2nd L. Samuel Smith, Colonel Powell's Regiment---Rev. War".No dates are shown. Samuel Smith had three children.One daughter married Captain William Page, a son of Thomas Page.The otherdaughter, Elizabeth (Betsy), married Robert Moody.The son, Samuel, was married twice;first to a miss Lane, daughter of Osborne Lane and second, to Sallie Hayes, daughter of Benjamin Hayes.

Very little is known about James Smith, another son of John IV.It is known that he had one son, Hugh Smith who married Miss Chloe Perritt. They had five sons and four daughters, all of whom had large familes. One of the sons went to Mississippi and a daughter lived in Texas. The others settled in or near the section where they had lived all their lives.

John Smith V (or Jr. in the SC clan) was born in Craven County, now Marion County, SC in 1756.He married Sarah Ann (Sallie) Godbolt who was born in Georgetown District and died in Marion District in 1820.John died in Marion District in 1825.Sellers' History states that John, Jr. lived before and after the Revolutionary War between the two Reedy Creeks, west of Gapevay Baptist Church and east of Marion Court House. it also states that he was well-to-do, and that during the War, he reportedly buried considerable money near the Little Reedy Creek. He served as a private in Capt. Ellebris Co Benton's Regiment (Gregg's History, page 413). There is a John Smith buried in Moody's Pond Cemetery near Marion, SC.Marker reads as above and has Rev. War. Much of the above information was contained in material prepared by Mrs. Virginia Rogers Smith of Bowman, SC and sent to me by Linda D. Smith, 1000 Cold Branch Drive, Columbia, SC 29223. I received this information on Feb. 17, 1995. !SOURCES:Bryan, Gus & Ruby, Bryan Family History 1753-1973.Also see Dunn, Doris Allen O'Neal, Allen and Allied Families, p 17.Haralson, Danny K., Haralson-Harrelson Family History and Lineage, p 97.Letter from Mrs. F. C. Cain, ex State Regent SCDAR, St. Matthew, SC to Mrs. Kenneth Troy Trewhella, Registrar General NSDAR, Washington DC, dated 15 Oct 1951.That letter lists marriages and children and includes a copy of the will dated 1787. !BURIAL: Per Cemetery Inscriptions Old Marion District, SC, V I, 1953-1954, P4 J ohn Smith buried in Moody's Mill Pond Cemetery.Was Pvt. in Capt. Ellerbee's Co., Benton Regt./Rev. War.

!MARRIAGES:Register Book for the Parish Prince Frederick Winyaw; p. 51 (Abigail Commander) and p 53 (Jane Ford). !CEN:1800 Liberty Co SC (Marion District), p 461. !SOURCE:Watsn, S. Lawton, Ancestors of Isham and Mary Watson, ur Own Early Forebears; Hal D.Watson, Printer, Latta, SC, p 2. (All above information obtained from the notes of James O. King of Kentucky. NOTES:Ordinance dates for baptism and endowment obtained from Janet Beazell. No sealing date on her records

On down the entry notes:

Cealey Smith Harrelson

viii. Cealey Smith19, born 2 January 1739/40 in Marion District, SC20; died 21 December 1854 (20); married Benjamin Harrelson 2 January 1768 21; born Bet. 1735 - 1740 (21); died Aft. 1840 (22). Notes for Cealey Smith: Dianne Moore has her name as Celia.

9/18/2021 at 11:46 AM

The thing is, her birth date in the 1740s is congruent with her siblings.

Husband of Cealey Smith — married 1767

Could Celie’s husband have been a different Harrelson altogether (not this l or ll)

9/18/2021 at 12:02 PM

Glad I added the Gedcom to the March 2021 Discussion I started.
Thing is I have a close match that may be an NPE (I prefer NOT parent EXPECTED rather than NO parent event... lol) or a sticky segment but I work from dirty/working trees and DNA and try to find the common ancestor for all these folks that match me at the exact same copy of a certain chrome on a given segment. This particular one is a paternal chrome but also is showing at least one person with my same mito and other maternal matches... should be European but appears to be running into NA lines left and right.

9/18/2021 at 12:04 PM

In other words, I do not have anything to add other than that I end up in this area of the tree from time to time, chasing my own tail in seems. I am most grateful and I do believe the DNA will match the tree once it is complete.

9/18/2021 at 12:05 PM

*it seems (not in seems)

9/18/2021 at 12:29 PM

I can't find a source that Cealey married in 1767. Just that notation.

I also found a note that Benjamin Harrelson II was born before 1750. No source. I think we are all over the place with Celia and Benjamin II as nothing fits.

I think she was probably born in the 1840s and so was Benjamin II or somewhere about it.

9/18/2021 at 12:30 PM

We do know that if she lived until after 1850, she could not have been the spouse of Benjamin I. That just does not compute.

9/18/2021 at 1:23 PM

The death date for Cealey looks pretty impossible.

What we know is that she was a Harrelson in 1797, and all her sisters are named by married names also in his Will. So they were all born by 1777.

Ruth is the name for the wife of Ben l and unknown for Ben ll.

I guess I’m saying I’m thinking she’s too old to have been a wife of Ben ll.

9/18/2021 at 1:29 PM

Let's play the "Process of Elimination" game.

We know that Celia Harrelson could not have married

Benjamin Harrelson, I as his wife is DAR proven Ruth Harrelson and is listed in his will. Celia is still alive at the time by all accounts.

Benjamin I had son Lewis H. Harrelson of Marion District, SC married to Jean Harrelson and son Benjamin Harrelson, II who is married to XX according to the DAR and I think this may be Celia Smith.

Henry Hugh Harrelson is not a son of Benjamin I as he is not named in his will and should be removed from Benjamin's profile. He and the sisters Charity and Moley belong somewhere else - maybe with Benjamin II or another Harrelson profile. I posted a discussion that these three needed to be removed earlier.

Then there is Benjamin I's brother Joseph Harrelson who married Su Song Harrelson / Saura Indian Something needs to be determined about Lucretia Harrelson as a spouse of Joseph as no sources attached and no children. This needs cleaning.

Of Joseph's children, they were in the Pee Dee area of Marion and Horry Counties, SC. Here is the breakdown on them:

Celia was not married to Josiah Lairl Harrelson, Sr. as he was married to Mary Ann Harrelson Of their sons, only Josiah Lairl Harrelson, Jr. may have been old enough to have married Celia, but he married Mary Ann Nancy Harrelson.

Of interest is that Josiah Sr. had a son Hugh Harrelson and that may need to be cross-referenced to the Hugh Harrelson mentioned above to determine if they are the same. Hugh, son of Josiah was named in his will.

Of Joseph, brother of Benjamin I, son Moses may be a match for Celia, but more research is needed. including opening of a private profile Cecilia Russell that is noted as a child long deceased. Looks like Moses died in Prince George district (now more descriptive of Georgetown County). I will do some digging, but I do not believe a match for Celia. According to http://freepages.rootsweb.com/~farmeranderwinfamilies/genealogy/Tre..., Moses was married to Ann Unknown.

Then there are the sons of Joseph - Benjamin and Lewis who need to be MP along with their first cousins by the same name to prevent issues once we can get them all sorted.
This Benjamin Benjamin Harrelson The will that someone put on the profile of this Benjamin belongs to his uncle Benjamin Harrelson I who died in 1802. https://www.ancestry.com/imageviewer/collections/9080/images/007649...

It is possible that Celia married the Benjamin or Lewis above. Not much is known of them except that they show up in some trees. It is even conceivable that they are the same Benjamin and Lewis as the proven sons of Benjamin I. I can find no will of Joseph that lists heirs, but will continue to look through property records. It is also not believed that Celia left the Marion District. There is one more son of Joseph - Joseph Harralson who married Xu Harrelson-Jones

Brother of Benjamin I and Joseph William Harrelson, I moved to Tennesse and married Jane MNU. Brother Andrew Harrelson needs substantially more sourcing as nothing is known of what became of him.

So that is where we are with the known Harrelson's about Celia's age.

9/18/2021 at 2:03 PM

So a thoughtful ancestry tree has:

https://www.ancestry.com/family-tree/person/tree/16230490/person/39...

Benjamin Lewis Harrelson Y-DNA R-U106
1740–1802

Parents

• 
Joseph Harrelson Y-DNA R-U106 (R1b1b2a1a1*)
1715–1800

• 
Su Song?
1720–1820

Verified by the documents exhibited as stories and photos: (1) Family Search International Genealogical Index, (2) Will of John Smith, IV, the father of Cealey Smith and (3) "History" document.

Celia "Cealey" Smith
1749–

9/18/2021 at 2:14 PM

danielstucker11 at Ancestry is a DNA match to my cousin Justine Louise Smith FA594934C1

9/18/2021 at 2:17 PM

Erica Howton, that is the best one that I have seen! I am good with it. We have Benjamin built as a son of Joseph, just need to merge him with brother Lewis, I think.

Maybe my laying it out was worth it. Celia is my Aunt through the Smiths.

Do you want me to work on it and get back to you when done? I am not sure that the daughter Patience listed married William Norton. Will have to check that. Benjamin I had a daughter Patience Mimsey Norton who married William Norton and went to Barbour Alabama. Looks like those are confused on the ancestry tree.

9/18/2021 at 2:17 PM

Patience who married William Norton is noted in Benjamin I's will.

9/18/2021 at 2:18 PM

However he has that Ben Harrelson as also the husband of Ruth (in notes, but not tree).

Here’s a submitted pedigree, so it’s old.

https://www.geni.com/documents/view?doc_id=6000000178600921982

This is rough. We have parents, birth date, died after date (1797), and 3 possible Benjamin Harrelson husbands. ..

9/18/2021 at 2:18 PM

Justine is British. Her mother is the daughter of an American GI.

9/18/2021 at 2:23 PM

https://www.geni.com/path/Justine-Louise-Smith-NB3267826-ED4132326+...

We suspect she and I are related via Luttrell but are at a standstill

9/18/2021 at 2:26 PM

https://www.ancestry.com/family-tree/person/tree/16230490/person/39... Tree cites Will of Marion County Ben l (died 1802) so I’m a little nervous.

I think You need to try sourcing the children.

9/18/2021 at 2:29 PM

Start with likely to be Celia Smith’s child

Celia Harrelson
1768–1854
Spouse & Children
Jesse Bethea
1763–1820
Goodman Bethea
1793–1863

https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/104908925/celia-bethea

Celia (Selah) Harrelson is the daughter of Benjamin Harrelson Senior. In the Will of Benjamin Harrelson Senior, Georgetown District, South Carolina, whose Probate was 2 Mar 1802, the Will mentions " my daughter Selah Bethea" . Also in the Will is her husband Jesse Bethea as an executor. A few other sisters moved to Alabama ..…. Patience Harrelson Norton moved to Alabama to live with her son William Norton Junior and Abigail Harrelson Grice and husband Jacob Grice also moved to Alabama. .

9/18/2021 at 2:32 PM

I think the 1802 death date for Benjamin Lewis Harrelson is for Benjamin Harrelson I. I suspect he lived later. Working on it.

9/18/2021 at 2:37 PM

The wills I am finding for Benjamin Harrelson and also Benjamin Lewis Harrelson are for Benjamin Harrelson I and name wife "Ruth." People are not reading what they are attaching to profiles. Urghhhh.

9/18/2021 at 2:37 PM

Will of Benjamin Harrelson 1802

• Beloved wife Ruth

My desire is that the residue of my stock of all kinds be equally devided
between my beloved children

• Benjamin Harralson
  • Patian. Norton
  • Selah
  • Bethea
  • Mary Shuter
  • Abigail Grice &
  • Lucy Harralson at the decease of my beloved wife/
9/18/2021 at 2:38 PM

And I do constitute and (?) my beloved son

• Lewis Harralson &
  • Jesse Bethea
  • Jacob Grice ['Jacob Grice' written between the lines] executors of this my

last will & testamen and trustees for my wife & children

9/18/2021 at 2:50 PM

Yep and that is the will for this one here Benjamin Harrelson, I It is being added everywhere it should not be.

9/18/2021 at 2:57 PM

Thing about Find a Grave https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/104908925/celia-bethea, it says that Celia Bethea is the daughter of Benjamin Harrelson, but it does not say Celia Smith and trust me if she was, it would have been mentioned.

I think that Celia Bethea is a daughter of Ruth.

9/18/2021 at 3:14 PM

We honestly do not have any record that I can find of any children who are of Celia Smith and Benjamin I. They are attached here, but she lived past the time of Ruth it is believed.

Benjamin's daughter Celia (1768-1854) who married Jesse Bethea is likely where the 1854 death date for Celia Smith comes from. I don't think she lived that long either Erica Howton, but again, Benjamin I's oldest children belonged to Ruth according to the DAR and Ruth was still alive when the Will was written/death of Benjamin I. I just do not see how he could have been married to more than one woman. So are we back to Ruth and Celia - are the "Celia Ruth?"

This is exhausting.

9/18/2021 at 3:16 PM

I will work on the children and see if I can find any more info.

9/18/2021 at 4:04 PM

No, the woman are always difficult. :).

If this is the Benjamin who was married Celia Smith in 1797, then the kids are all hers and she died between 1797 & 1802. I’m thinking she’s the wife of some other Benjamin Harrelson. Maybe her siblings are a clue.

9/18/2021 at 4:10 PM

I have worked on children attached to Celia Smith and Benjamin I:

Patience Mincy Norton

Celia Bethea

Abagail Hariet (Harrelson) Grice

These are not noted in Benjamin's will and may belong to Celia and "Another Benjamin"

Henry Hugh Harrelson

Moley Harrelson

Charity Harrelson

I swear that if we ever know who these folks belong to that we need to lock them in place.

Showing 1-30 of 45 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion