Start My Family Tree Welcome to Geni, home of the world's largest family tree.
Join Geni to explore your genealogy and family history in the World's Largest Family Tree.

Williamsburg County, South Carolina

« Back to Projects Dashboard

view all

Profiles

  • Benjamin G. F. Lambert (1825 - 1908)
    From Inscription IN LOVING MEMORY SOUTH CAROLINA 1ST LT CO G 15TH REGT. SC INF. CONFEDERATE STATE ARMY From . THE CHINNES FAMILY OF HEMINGWAY SOUTH CAROLINA by DIANNE CHINNES and EUNICE CHINNE...
  • Sarah Martha Ann Lambert (1828 - 1897)
    From . THE CHINNES FAMILY OF HEMINGWAY SOUTH CAROLINA by DIANNE CHINNES and EUNICE CHINNES LENTZ Sarah Chinners was born January 17, 1828, and died April 4, 1897, according to the Lambert family...
  • Betty Jean Atkinson (1941 - 2014)
    Adoptive Father Edgar Laverne Durant Adoptive Mother Evelyn Durant Betty Jean Durant Atkinson, 72, of Scranton, SC died Thursday, February 13, 2014 after an extended illness. Mrs. Atkinson was born ...
  • Rev James Munnerlyn Kirton, (CSA) (1834 - 1904)
    Census 1860 Williamsburg Co. 1880 Williamsburg Co. pastor at Wassamassaw Baptist Church, 1897-1898 Performed his mother-in-law's funeral per her obituary
  • Jehu Baker (deceased)
    Where is proof that he is father of Jane Kirton? Father-online trees state father is Hicks and mother is Reeves/Rives. Why the name change from Hicks to Baker? But there are several DNA matches to oth...

Please add profiles of those who were born, lived or died in Williamsburg County, South Carolina.

Official Website

From Williamsburg County.gov:

Beginnings

Williamsburg County, located in the southern tip of the Pee Dee, holds treasures of historical interest dating back to the early 1700’s. In 1730, Governor Robert Johnson proposed a "Township Plan," marking the beginning of Williamsburg County. This plan was proposed to stimulate the economy of the province to provide protection for coastal settlers. The township, which was laid out on the bank of the Black River, was named Williamsburg in honor of the Protestant King, William of Orange.

Williamsburg Township’s success was largely attributable to the raising and processing of indigo. From indigo, came wealth and prosperity to the area. Hemp, flax, and Holland were other fine quality products introduced in the 1730’s.

Meeting House

A settlement, existing on Black Mingo (later referred to as Willtown), had a "Meeting House" for dissenters in what later became Williamsburg County. In 1736, the first Williamsburg Presbyterian Meeting House was built. This "Meeting House" was the mother church for a wide area embracing several states.

Early Battles

In 1780, after the fall of Charles Town, the nucleus of "Marion’s Brigade" was formed in this area. On August 27, 1780, the "Battle of King’s Tree" took place and it was at this time that Major John James turned his group over to Francis Marion, the Swamp Fox. The fighting consisted of rear-action skirmishing, but heavy losses were sustained. British Major James Wemyss, under orders from Lieutenant Colonel Banastre Tarleton, burned the Indiantown Presbyterian Church down.

The battles of Black Mingo (September 28-29, 1780), Mount Hope Swamp (March 1781) and Lower Bridge (March 1781) were all fought in Williamsburg County.

Kingstree

Williamsburg, the first settlement, later was named King’s Tree because the King reserved for his own use all white pines. In 1886, King’s Tree became known as Kingstree. Kingstree became the county seat of Williamsburg County. Years following the Revolution, Williamsburg County quickly prospered. Since then, Williamsburg County has become famous for its wildlife and hunting preserves. It has truly become a "Sportsman’s Paradise."

Thorntree Plantation
Thorntree, the plantation home of James Witherspoon (who lived from 1700 to 1768), was built in 1749. After the death of James Witherspoon, Thorntree became the home of Gavin Witherspoon, the son of James and Elizabeth Witherspoon.

During the Revolution, Tarleton with one hundred British dragoons, and a large number of Tories under Colonel Elias Ball, encamped at the plantation of Gavin Witherspoon, south of the lower bridge, on Black River, early in August 1780.

As a restoration project, Williamsburg Historical Society relocated Thorntree to the city limits of Kingstree in order to provide police and fire prevention. For future generations, as well as for the present, the Historical Society desires to preserve and restore this early architectural structure.

Old Muster Ground & Courthouse

Old Muster Ground and Courthouse Historical PlaqueBack in 1737, the Courthouse grounds, located on Main Street in Kingstree, was designated the parade ground in the original survey of the town of Kingstree. The grounds served as the muster ground for the local militia during colonial and Revolutionary Times.

Courthouse Dates

The Williamsburg County Courthouse, designed by South Carolina native and nationally known architect Robert Mills, was built in 1823.
In 1883, a fire gutted the second story, but the massive brick barrel arches protected the public records in the first story, and realizing that the 30 inch walls were fireproof the building was soon repaired.
The Courthouse was enlarged in 1901 with an addition of a substantial fence to give a good park to the town and to keep horses and cattle out of the square.
Due to efforts of Judge Phillip H. Stoll, the Courthouse was remodeled in 1954. The Courthouse had been enlarged by adding a 3 story wing at the back, giving the building its present T-shape.

Adjacent Counties

Cities, Towns & Communities

  • Andrews (part)
  • Cades
  • Gourdin
  • Greeleyville
  • Hebron
  • Hemingway
  • Indiantown
  • Kingstree (County Seat)
  • Lane
  • Nesmith
  • Outland
  • Piney Forest
  • Rhems
  • Salters
  • Stuckey
  • Trio

Links

Wikipedia

South Carolina Plantations