Major Thomas Jordan - Thomas Jordan, Lucy Corker

Started by Shirley Rogers on Tuesday, April 13, 2021
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Related Projects:

Showing 1-30 of 43 posts
4/13/2021 at 5:43 AM

Thomas Jordan, 1600-1644, Isle of Wight, did NOT marry Lucy Corker.
The Thomas Jordan who lived in Surry County married Lucy Corker. This Thomas Jordan was in the Arthur Jordan, George Jordan line.
The Thomas Jordan in Surry County lived until 1685.

Thomas Jordan who lived in Isle of Wight was my 8th great grandfather.

4/13/2021 at 6:55 AM

Hello Shirley
Thomas Jordan IOW did marry Lucy Corker. That would be Lucy Rose Corker daughter of William Corker 1630 1676 He was the son of John Corker born 1600 possibly arrived in Virginia 1622. He was the son of John Corker 1554 1627 born in Wedhampton Wiltshire. That John Corker had an older son William Corker born 1584 who in turn and amongst others had a daughter called Lucy born 1604, and that was the one who married Thomas Jordan born 1600, Same family different lines, there always has been two Lucy Corkers, but only one Lucy Rose Corker who married a William Rose as her first husband Cousin Jude

4/13/2021 at 9:50 AM

Jude - do you have references for that? My understanding is the same as Shirley’s, tree is sourced.

Lucy Rose

4/13/2021 at 9:54 AM

It looks like Thomas Jordan (1600) had a widow named Elizabeth.

Marriage 1645 • Isle of Wight, Virgina, USA
Inferred marriage date of Elizabeth Jordan, widow of Maj. Thomas Jordan, who had three children to provide for. Since John Crosby left his entire estate to Margaret Jordan Davis, it may be thought that he raised her from a young age.

Name John Crosby

Date 09 Jan 1674

Location Isle of Wight

Notes This probate record was extracted from microfilmed copies of the original Will Book.

Remarks John Crosby. According to my late deceased wife Elizabeth's request on her death bed to Mrs. Jane Oldis, my said wife's daughter Margaret Davis my estate.

Description Testator

—-

Margaret Davis Would be the daughter referred to.

He could have had more wives.

4/13/2021 at 10:26 AM

Here are comments from https://www.wikitree.com/wiki/Corker-2

This hypothesis remains largely speculative and requires access to, and careful examination of primary sources in order to be validated. Corker, White and Jordan family historians please help with leads, comments and suggestions.

Michael Lutley Jordan November 2009

—-

I don’t believe there’s been anything further on the hypothesis since 2009.

4/14/2021 at 7:36 AM

William Corker 1503 had a son John or James Corker b1528 d1573 married a Jane they had a son John Corker 1554 1627 30 married in 1584 a Dorothea Bishop1558 to 1640 daughter of Mathew Bishop 1534 and Elizabeth, They had three sons the middle one being John Corker b16oo d1670 immigrted to Virginia around1622 He had a son b1630 d1676. Married twice Susannah then Elizabeth known as Lucy. Their daughter was Lucy Corker married first to William Rose and then to Thomas Jordan 1630 John Corker 1600 had an older brother William Corker b1584. who married a Lucy White and they had three daughters Susannah1600 Judith 1602 Lucy 1604. That is the one who married Thomas Jordan 1600 Son of Samuel Jordan Its all on Geni
Best Wishes Jude

4/14/2021 at 7:44 AM

So that’s shown here, for instance:

https://familytrees.genopro.com/Azrael/2581054/Corker-ElizabethLucy...

... with no sources (primary data). Often that’s very skimpy in early Virginia, and we rely on published scholarship, not family trees. And English records exist.

So what do we have to support this configuration?

4/14/2021 at 7:46 AM

(I’m going to the upper part of this tree for example - it’s been disproved by the Reynolds Family Association...)

So don’t use the pages, they are wrong:

https://familytrees.genopro.com/Azrael/2581054/Reynolds-CacilyGreen...

4/16/2021 at 1:24 PM

With referance to your first reply, that is exactly my GG's tree . The bloke that has been missed out is Captain William Corker b 1584, Lucyy's Dad had a brother John Corker b 1590 1600. He went to Virginia in 1622, married and had a son He had a daughter called called William Corker b 1630 d 1676 or 7. Lucy Corker who married a William Rose, first and Thomas Jordan son of Aurthur wasn't he, second Hence the Rose

4/16/2021 at 5:55 PM

We need better evidence as in records. So far I’ve only seen it as a theory.

4/20/2021 at 6:32 AM

It is my understanding that Lucy Corker married the Thomas Jordan who lived in Surry County which adjoins Isle of Wight County.
Have any of the Descendants of Thomas Jordan, 1600-1644, had a DNA test to support the Corker supposition?

4/20/2021 at 10:10 AM

“ From: Virginia, Land, Marriage, and Probate Records, 1639-1850 Name Margaret Davis Date 09 Jan 1674 Location Isle of Wight Property Entire estate. Notes This probate record was extracted from microfilmed copies of the original Will Book. Remarks John Crosby. According to my late deceased wife Elizabeth's request on her death bed to Mrs. Jane Oldis, my said wife's daughter Margaret Davis my estate. Description Step-daughter Book 2-127

So, there was a John Crosby of Isle of Wight, will probated in 1674, who married a woman named Elizabeth who was the mother of a daughter named "Margaret Davis"; he left his entire estate to this step-daughter.

From the probate record of John Crosby, it very much sounds like he married a widow with a child or children. If this Margaret Davis was the wife of James Davis, then she was the sister of Thomas "The Quaker" Jordan as is proved above. And, if that is the case (and it looks decent as a case because dates and locations are right), then that means the name of Maj. Thomas Jordan's wife was Elizabeth.”

4/20/2021 at 11:06 AM

Firstly I quote to you from History of Perquimans County as Compiled from Records Found
'Samuel Jordan had three sons born in England who came to America. One of them was Robert who was killed by the indians in 1622 The other two, Samuel who settled Surrey County and became the ancestor of a branch of Jordans who moved West and North.Thomas, his brother born 1600, came to Va in the ship Diana 1624 aged 24. He settled in the Isle of Wight County Va where he had a grant for 600 acres of land, at the head of the Warricksquake River etc etc. An American big posh book so I assume its corect!! So Samuel Jordan my GG, actually was the father of my other GG Thomas.
Elizabeth Crosby, who on earth conjured her up? As far as I can make out the first mention on Geni is2018 She has no parents, her husband John Crosby has no parents, the person who posted it and manages ot is anon. Some proof
For those who are interested in the Corker Line Dorothea Bishop's dad or grandad was Admiral of the English Fleet, so fairly well chronicled.
I rest my case
Jude

4/20/2021 at 3:23 PM

There is a Will quoted, the book is quite available. The “anon” is a former member of excellent reputation; these are not made up citations. I don’t know more details of Crosby besides his will. How do you explain him leaving his property to Margaret Davis, unless she was his step daughter? And Margaret Davis was the sister of your ancestor, Thomas the Quaker Jordan.

This does not mean Thomas Jordan died 1644 didn’t have other wives besides Elizabeth. But this is the only one we have a (slender) record of.

You haven’t given us Links or citations so I have no comment on your references. If you need help seeing the Will citation re Margaret Jordan Davis, let me know.

4/20/2021 at 3:37 PM

History of Perquimans county as compiled from records found there and elsewhere
Date: 1931 | Identifier: F262.P4 W7 1931

It’s a 1931 book and not considered great genealogy. Useful for sure but I wouldn’t take to the bank.

https://digital.lib.ecu.edu/13772#?c=

The thing to remember about early Virginia is there are so few records. So on many people - and Thomas Jordan died 1644 is one of them - we just don’t know, and may never know.

I was told that there is no DNA or paper trail evidence supporting “any” descent from Samuel Jordan of Beggars Bush.

4/26/2021 at 9:36 AM

Ah there is the differance Anon in England means Unknown, or don't want to be known!! So Elizabeth Crosbie marries Thomas Jordan, but maybe brings a daughter with her who takes the name of Jordan. Although Geni does not accept this its exactly the same as Thomas Jordan's dad Samuel. When he married Thomas mum Anne Baker, she already had a daughter before she had Anne Marie, tjhis girl also took the name of Jordan. As I said before my GG Lucy Corker has a pedigree going back decades, and it would seem records this side of the pond are less sketchy. At least Thomas is not an itinerant soldier anymore!! Every time a Smart Match comes in fron My Heritage with Thomas and Lucy, I now have to delete Elizabeth and replace her with Lucy. Damned nuisance!! Regards Jude

4/26/2021 at 3:56 PM

No, I don’t think Margaret Davis took a step parent name. I believe (but am not sure) that she’s thought to have been the daughter of Thomas Jordan died 1644 & his wife Elizabeth. In other words, we know of at least two children of this Thomas, Thomas “the Quaker” and Margaret. She know that Thomas d 1644 left a widow Elizabeth. We don’t know if she was the mother of Thomas (next) & Margaret, but she’s the only wife we have record of. And these two marriages for Elizabeth are all we have record of.

Elizabeth, widow Jordan, then married Crosby. Margaret, Elizabeth’s daughter, married Davis. Presumably Margaret was known as Jordan before her marriage. Maybe you can find record.

4/27/2021 at 2:12 AM

Now that is interesting. If Elizabeth Jordan was Thomas d 1644 widow . Lucy Corker must have been his first wife. In England Lucy is a shortening for Elizabeth! Are they one and the same person?

4/30/2021 at 7:23 AM

Something is wrong here. Elizabeth Crosbie marries Thomas Jordan with that name, not her maiden name, and must have been married to John Crosby before, and then left a widow. So unless Margaret was his daughter, he wouldn't have known her because he was dead before her conception, Unless he died knowing his wife was pregnant, but surely he would have left it to her, unless she was playing fast and loose with Thomas Jordan 1600 before his death, Or she married Thomas as above and was left a widow, in which case her name would have been Jordan.
Best Regards Jude

4/30/2021 at 9:37 AM

We don’t know what Elizabeth’s name was when she married Thomas Jordan.

What we do know is that Thomas Jordan left a widow called Elizabeth (never known as Lucy). She then married Crosby. When Crosby died, he left his estate to his wife’s daughter, Margaret Davis. And we know that Margaret Davis was a married name, and that her brother was Thomas the Quaker Jordan.

5/1/2021 at 2:40 AM

Margaret, daughter of Thomas 1, married Thomas Davis, the son of the owner of land adjoining the land of Thomas.
When she attended weddings of of the ten sons of Thomas 2 and Margaret Brasseur, she signed as Aunt Margaret.

This is in my file on the Jordan line.

5/1/2021 at 7:03 AM

Yes, that’s in the notes in the profile for Margaret Davis

5/1/2021 at 10:25 AM

I love that, Shirley Rogers!

5/1/2021 at 11:29 AM

Thank you, Cynthia.
Thomas Jordan 1 was my 8th g grandfather.
🥰🥰🥰🥰

5/1/2021 at 2:14 PM

Cynthia Curtis, A183502, US7875087 - there might be something wrong with your path. You’re showing 12 gens. Shirley has 8. She’s not 4 gens older than you. :)

Shirley’s tree has been pretty solid on Geni for at least 5 years ....

5/2/2021 at 9:11 AM

Erica Howton you were very helpful working on my Agnes Jordan Hicks. I feel pretty good about it but have not gone through and dissected them again since

5/2/2021 at 9:15 AM

Any concerns here?: Francis Jourdan

5/2/2021 at 9:18 AM

Erica, you worked on HIS father in 2019:
John Jordan

Showing 1-30 of 43 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion