Descendants of Adam/Eve

Started by Gates on Friday, April 16, 2021
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Related Projects:

Showing 1-30 of 34 posts
4/16/2021 at 10:21 PM

Hi all, I thought I would inform this board that there is a descent from Adam that is available, though I am unsure where to to cut the tree. It links Adam to royalty of Persia and Iberia to Armenia to Spain to England. Not sure which line is faulty but I thought it was necessary to post. Thanks! Let me know if you find the error.

4/16/2021 at 10:53 PM

Post some links please - so we can track it.

4/17/2021 at 7:20 PM

Bahrám V "of the Wild Ass", King of Persia seems to be a good start- some of his grandfathers, Yosef bar Yosef and Yosef bar Khamma do not have any sources. Hope this helps!

4/17/2021 at 7:44 PM

I am really glad that we are working towards this, but I have more pressing problems in the 1700 -1800s CE in North and South Carolina that link people to parents who were born and died in Pennsylvania. I guess it is all "relative."

I am pretty sure I descended from Adam and Eve (if you believe that) and maybe that is the three glasses of wine talking to kill the pain of kidney stones, but I fell over when I read the title of this thread as it applies to pretty much everyone on Geni or maybe not and I hope we are all paying attention.

The bigger problem is no sources or anything on profiles. I will consider drinking another glass of wine to someone who can fix that problem even if it is a Find a Grave reference but not an unreadable GEDcom upload, which is next-door to useless.

4/17/2021 at 11:03 PM

It seems to me that the correct way to do this would be to isolate the part of the biblical tree around Adam and Eve. Shmuel-Aharon Kam (Kahn / שמואל-אהרן קם (קאן what do you think?

4/18/2021 at 11:09 AM

That sounds like a good idea to me, I think the cutoff point for an isolated tree could be determined by determining which point the biblical tree becomes historical rather than legendary. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aLtRR9RgFMg&t=0s This video does a great job explaining the historicity of biblical figures.

4/19/2021 at 7:49 AM

Shmuel-Aharon Kam (Kahn / שמואל-אהרן קם (קאן likes that idea, but says:
Mike and I already TRIED that. Mike gave me a list of about the 40-50 longest lines, so I could find where to cut them. Some were valid, not going much farther downline. I cut many others. But that wasn't enough. See, too many connections have steps going sideways, through marriages in the line. Finding those would be a royal PITA, an beyond Mike's available time then. So we have an impasse. :-(

4/19/2021 at 7:50 AM

It seems we need to wait for a moment when we all have free days.

4/24/2021 at 12:52 AM
4/24/2021 at 12:53 AM
J P Weyers
4/24/2021 at 1:21 AM

Biblical and Talmudic Tales of Lilith

The story of Lilith originated in the ancient Near East,where a wilderness spirit known as the “dark maid” appears in the Sumerian myth “The descent of Inanna” (circa 3000 BCE). Another reference appears in a tablet from the seventh century BCE found at Arslan Tash, Syria which contains the inscription: “O flyer in a dark chamber, go away at once, O Lili!”

Lilith later made her way into Israelite tradition, possibly even into the Bible. Isaiah 34:14, describing an inhospitable wilderness, tells us: “There goat-demons shall greet each other, and there the lilit shall find rest.” Some believe this word “lilit” is a reference to a night owl, and others say it is indeed a reference to the demon Lilith. A magical bowl from the first century CE, written in Hebrew, reads:” Designated is this bowl for the sealing of the house of this Geyonai bar Mamai, that there flee from him the evil Lilith…” Ancient images of Lilith which show her hands bound appear to be a form of visual magic for containing her.

In the Talmud, Lilith becomes not only a spirit of darkness,but also a figure of uncontrolled sexuality. The Babylonian
(Shabbat151a) says: “It is forbidden for a man to sleep alone in a house, lest Lilith get hold of him.” Lilith is said to fertilize herself with male sperm to give birth to other demons.

4/24/2021 at 1:37 AM

Lilith the Demoness has been successfully provided with her own isolated tree - don't muddy the waters Phillipp :-)

J P Weyers
4/24/2021 at 2:23 AM

LILITH
This tree has been isolated from other trees on Geni: Tree is fictional

Geni does not allow isolated trees to be merged into the World Family Tree, or other trees.

Fictional ?
Well that can be a whole new discussion --What and Whom is fictional ?
The tooth fairy ?

4/24/2021 at 2:48 AM

Also the tooth fairy.

4/24/2021 at 2:48 AM

:-)

Private User
4/24/2021 at 3:19 AM

Lilith, the Demoness in this profile picture us redheads has not been demonized. Great.

Flood myths have been developed in the early stages of Western culture in a number of different cultures, although they are largely copies of each other. The oldest of these probably is the Sumerian creation myth or “Eridu Genesis”, whose hero is Ziusudra.

The gods are determined to destroy humanity, but Enki (or Ea), the god of water, craft, intellect, and creation, warns Ziusudra that he will build a great ship on which he will survive a seven-day, seven-night flood. The other two main gods Anu (or An) and Enlil do not like this, but eventually pardon Ziusudra and give him eternal life in Dilmun, or paradise.

The most comprehensive surviving Mesopotamian story of the flood is the Atrahasis epic, which tells the story of the hero of the same name (1646–1626 BC). It dates back to the post-Hammurab era of Babylonian culture, but is largely similar in content to Eridu Genesis. The most famous Babylonian flood story is in the Gilgamesh epic.

The story dates back to a long Sumerian tradition, but a standard version of the epic has been compiled between 1300 and 1000 BC. between. In Table 11 of the Gilgamesh epic, the hero encounters Utnapishtim, who tells him of the flood that has resulted in him becoming immortal. Gilgamesh also strives for immortality, but fails in both of the tasks set by Utnapishtim. In the end, he realizes that people only achieve immortality through culture and civilization.

Utnapishtim’s story in the Gilgamesh epic is in places almost word for word from Atrahasis. Another person who ended up in Mesopotamian mythology in Greece and also in Christian mythology is the ferryman Urshanabi, who takes Gilgamesh to Utnapishtim. The famous ferryman in Greek mythology is Kharon, he transports people to Hades across the Styx River. In Dante Alighier’s Divine Play, Kharon is in an almost similar position.

It can be said that including the Old Testament, these stories seem to come from Sumerian texts, via a "broken telephone".

J P Weyers
4/24/2021 at 3:57 AM

SAGA- what is myth , fiction or fact ?
A definite bias towards Abrahamic religion as is on GENI Accepting religious texts as factual.

4/24/2021 at 4:41 AM

Just a thought....Question. etc... I have shown my path to Adam and Eve to a few (sarcastic) people who say "Aren't we all related to Adam and Eve?', Of course my answer is Yes, but can everyone trace back that far.
Then the point of Noah comes up, and the Arc, etc... how we all should find a path to Noah.
So, this is where sarcasm from others is unnecessary. I have found a few different paths to Adam and Eve, Some do not include Noah.... can anyone answer that? I studied religion and theology, not to it's fullest extent, but enough courses to understand... so did the great flood completely wipe out ALL the earth or only the part that God was not happy with? I know what the bible says, and what I was taught in these course that I took, but I am curious about the opinions of others.

Private User
4/25/2021 at 8:55 PM

I want to trace my line back to my leprechaun ancestors they were unicorn farmers don't ya know.

J P Weyers
4/25/2021 at 10:15 PM

Robert Moon --why not ?
Whatever my own religious believe might be , I do believe that we must be careful forcing a certain believe system as truth and others as myth or legend on GENI.
A favourite slogan these days is 'Trust the Science ' that would place Paradise in Southern Africa ( I agree it is ) with Adam and Eve here as well and long before the biblical paradise.

J P Weyers,
"fictional" is just a label. Perhaps "Mythical" would be better. As a religious Jew I have no problem with that, as non-observant people would definitely see it that way, and we should be accomodating.

Also, WHEN we finally manage to disconnect the entire [misnamed] "Biblical --Tree" from the main tree, it will also be ISOLATED. So it would also be marked as "fictional", until Geni gives us a better "label" for these types of tree.

To the best of our knowledge there are NO VALID lines between this early period and present time. NONE. The easiest way to disqualify these lines is to check their length. There should be about 150 generations between Adam of Eden and present time. We calculate this according to the LATEST people in Scripture, for whom we also have EXTERNAL reference dates. The common lines are usually 20-30 generations too short. A 10 generation difference might be OK, but there is really no way to explain a line 20-30 generations (13-20% of the total 150).

J P Weyers
4/26/2021 at 2:50 AM

Shmuel-Aharon Kam
Maybe one of the most intelligent , informative and concise comments ever .
As a practising (trying my best ) Roman Catholic I am very aware how others view my beliefs and in my own family from atheist to Orthodox Jewish to Reform Jewish ( my cousin a female Rabba married us ) to Muslim to Mennonite to Dutch Reformed to agnostic so a very sensitive subject often .
Thank you .

4/26/2021 at 9:01 PM

Shmuel-Aharon Kam (Kahn / שמואל-אהרן קם (קאן, I have always like the term "Mythical" as it also implies a sense of heroic for some reason to me. I agree with your calculations and for that reason, I made my earlier comment. I have always been told that past 5 generations, you might find some real issues with lineage so I take it all with the proverbial "grain of salt" and am happy that others are working on the tree to make it better.

I think it is interesting and a good thing to perhaps one day isolate the "Biblical Tree." Not because it is fictional, but it has become Mythical in scope.

Private User
4/27/2021 at 8:13 AM

One of my blood lines to Adam goes through eight generations of NN, N/N NN. etc. entered by OO in 2014: N/A

Private User
4/27/2021 at 9:42 AM

All the NNs have been there since 2014, and all are managed by the same Geni member whose own line from Adam includes several "private" profiles including these two (son and grandson of a 17th century person):

Ratu Raja Kertadiningrat

Pangeran Adipati Soewarga or Pangeran Mangoenjaya [Versi 1]

Private

N/A

NN .

Private

NN .

N/A

N/A

N/A?through=6000000032123994244

N/A

N/A

N/A

All descended from Shimron .

Private User
4/27/2021 at 9:47 AM

OO

Private User
4/27/2021 at 9:50 AM

Shimron .
→ NN .
his son → NN .
his son → N/A
his son → N/A
his son → N/A
his son → N/A
his son → N/A
his son → N/A
his son → Ahijah
his son

Private User
4/27/2021 at 9:54 AM

Ahijah

Private User, I'll try to look into this ASAP. In general we "don't allow", these long lines of place-holder profiles. Having 1-2 of them when we KNOW of an actual missing generation is OK (knowing who someone's grandparent is, but not knowing through which of their children).

Showing 1-30 of 34 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion